Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleComics Modern AgeQuestions

Photo Quality - Or lack thereof14171

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Posting this because another forum member liked some of my photos and asked how I do it. Well, those great pics, they are not done by me. Those are of comics that I sent in to MCS and they are doing pro scans. That said I have taken pics with my Iphone XR. What I have found is i have to hunt around for a decent location so I don't get to much reflection and glare AND I take the picture slightly off center about 3-6' back and zoom in to fill my phone screen. Also, I have found that a dark base and light background help with my pics.

Here are examples of same issue. 1 at my house, 1 at my office, and one from MCS.

From my home:

Please chime in if you know how to easily snap better pictures.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
People have had good luck with the Google PhotoScan App. It doesn't replace a scanner but it uses multiple photos to remove glare and highlights

There was a thread with comparisons a while back, just gimme a bit to find it
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using the photo scan app.....is pretty good...need to have a steady hand as you move from scan dot to scan dot.

Basically it puts 4 dots on your book and you move from one to the next, flash is on the whole time and the app does it's magic....

found one of my books

Post 3 IP   flag post
Here's one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@BigRedOne1944 The scanning bed size you’re looking for is Legal A4. As @poka mentioned, it is supported by Windows 7 out of the box so you would not need to purchase the VueScan app separately to use it with your machine.

Google PhotoScan is a free app that works by taking several photos of the document with your and combining them into a single, glare free image. The results are very good and should suffice for most applications. It can’t replace the detail that can be extracted by a flatbed scanner (the images I’ve posted have been 600 dpi then shrunk significantly, the scanner itself can do up to 2400 dpi with the VueScan app I use but the specs say it can go up to 4800 which should be possible when it’s running the official drivers.

Here’s the same book scanned with the Google App and then on a flatbed scanner (I think this one was done on my library’s old scanner):

Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
People have had good luck with the Google PhotoScan App. It doesn't replace a scanner but it uses multiple photos to remove glare and highlights

There was a thread with comparisons a while back, just gimme a bit to find it
@dielinfinite - i tried that app and it frustrated the he double hockey sticks out of me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I found it pretty easy to use
Post 6 IP   flag post
For me, it kept chopping off the label. Happen several time on different comics, i gave up.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator great thread and cheers to all for info on the app.

It's almost 2.30am over here and just blitz watching A Discovery of Witches again so will give it a try tomorrow 👍
Post 8 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Posting this because another forum member liked some of my photos and asked how I do it. Well, those great pics, they are not done by me. Those are of comics that I sent in to MCS and they are doing pro scans. That said I have taken pics with my Iphone XR. What I have found is i have to hunt around for a decent location so I don't get to much reflection and glare AND I take the picture slightly off center about 3-6' back and zoom in to fill my phone screen. Also, I have found that a dark base and light background help with my pics.

Here are examples of same issue. 1 at my house, 1 at my office, and one from MCS.

From my home:

Man, @Scifinator, if the scanner at your house is so good that it bumps a 9.8 up to a 9.9 I'd stick with that one. 😄
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
For me, it kept chopping off the label. Happen several time on different comics, i gave up.
maybe it was the version? mine will on occasion chop of the label but you can go in and adjust the borders/corners and re-include it before it finalizes the scan/photo.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
maybe it was the version? mine will on occasion chop of the label but you can go in and adjust the borders/corners and re-include it before it finalizes the scan/photo.
That sounds like the issue. The app tries to find the corners automatically but you can only expect so much. Adjusting the corners manually is easy and would solve the problem
Post 11 IP   flag post
@KatKomics good to know, thnx
Post 12 IP   flag post
Here are some more threads on the subject

Any tips on photographing slabs with cell phones?

Light Box

What scanner is the best Scanner

Photographing Slabs

Scanning Questions

Pics of Graded Books
Post 13 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Takes photos with phone, crop save and really not care too much as I don't sell books like you other forum members
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

From my home:

One idea I have for better photos is to start with a better cover artist.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
So from home to your office it downgraded from a 9.9 to a 9.8? Man I'd stick with taking them at home if that is so! lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
LOL somehow I knew some were gonna have fun with the 9.9 /9.8.

Honestly, I wanted to illustrate how different lighting affects The photo. With the same camera. Home is LED whhile office is fluorescent. And no, nothing stays displayed at the office. Those are to be sold and boxed up, so no chance of damage from the fluorescent lighting. Home is obviously for my permanent (force ghost) collection.

If you haven’t done so before, if you click a forum members name, (Scifinator), you can see a my or their gallery of pics Mine are a few of my force ghost collection. Note the WildCATS photo.
Post 17 IP   flag post
600444 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?