Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Scanners that can scan slabbed books?10253

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
While I really like the Epson V30 scanner I have been using for the past 4-5 years, It's not big enough to accommodate the full length of Graded slabbed books.

Any Recommendations?

Not looking to spend a fortune on "Bells & Whistles" I don't need. just a good scanner that produces a nice high quality scan.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Hp scanjet 8200/8300.

However, nowadays i use the Google PhotoScan app
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
When my local library switched from a CCD scanner to CIM scanner I had to get a scanner of my own to make up for it. The CCD vs CIM difference is crucial for scanning slabs because the actual book is not pressed up directly to the glass when scanning. CIM technology is less expensive and used on most consumer scanners but works best when the material is pressed right up against the scanning glass. CCD technology is older, more expensive tech to produce and isn’t used in most new scanners until you get up to the prosumer/pro level equipment but it does have a deeper depth of field allowing it to get better scans of slabs.

This is the same book on a CCD vs a CIM scanner:

I bought an old HP Scanjet 8200 scanner, less than $100 shipped. It fits a slab. The thing you need to be aware of is that it is an older scanner and doesn’t have official drivers for Windows 10. I bought the VueScan app for an additional $30 which supports the scanner on modern operating systems.

The scan at the default settings looks very flat and gray so you have to tweak the settings (brightness, saturation, etc;a one-time thing) to get the scan to look good but once you get past the initial set-up things go smoothly and I’ve been very happy with the quality of the scans

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite is correct. CCD technology is the best. I use my Microtek scanner for both my original art and my slabs.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka

So I've been playing around with this, and I cant believe that I was just about to buy a scanner...

This app is pretty great.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Quote:

So I've been playing around with this, and I cant believe that I was just about to buy a scanner...

you are welcome
Post 6 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite

Thanks for the insightful and informative info on the scanners. The scans you posted looked fantastic. Nice and clear. Even picked up the small text on the labels very nice.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are welcome

OK, Im fairly well techniquely challenge..... So I'll just go with all of the who,what,when,where,why and the biggest one..... HOW?

What do I need?

Do you have a scan example?
Post 8 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I use a camera scanning option from an old flip phone.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are welcome

Any chance of a sample?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
HP Scanjet 8300 (samples)...

Post 11 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica Those are very nice looking scans. (Not to mention the books!) There seems to be a little bit of reflective glare around the label areas.

The scans dielinfinite posted with the 8200 look much cleaner and clearer in the label and text area. Is this just a matter of working with the setting of the 8300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

I bought an old HP Scanjet 8200 scanner, less than $100 shipped. It fits a slab. The thing you need to be aware of is that it is an older scanner and doesn’t have official drivers for Windows 10. I bought the VueScan app for an additional $30 which supports the scanner on modern operating systems.

The scan at the default settings looks very flat and gray so you have to tweak the settings (brightness, saturation, etc;a one-time thing) to get the scan to look good but once you get past the initial set-up things go smoothly and I’ve been very happy with the quality of the scans

Post 12 IP   flag post
What is the actually scanning bed size on these scanners?

Any other more currently available scanners on the market besides the HP 8200/8300, Now don't laugh, but Im still running windows 7. I don't want to have to hunt for drivers online. The Epson V30 Im using came with all software and drivers, and Ive been happy with it's performance. Its just the scanner bed is not big enough to accommodate slabbed books. It works great for my card collection.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
What is the actually scanning bed size on these scanners?

Any other more currently available scanners on the market besides the HP 8200/8300, Now don't laugh, but Im still running windows 7

That is actually perfect because hp 8200/8300 works well with windows 7. When I used my 8200 I did it with an old laptop which was running on windows 7
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you are welcome

Any chance of a sample?

if u wish without glare when 8200 is the better option - however - the app is so much easier and faster that for me - it wins

with app

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user

This is a slab scanned by my Microtek scanner at 600 dpi in TIFF format which I later convert into a JPG image with Photoshop.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 The scanning bed size you’re looking for is Legal A4. As @poka mentioned, it is supported by Windows 7 out of the box so you would not need to purchase the VueScan app separately to use it with your machine.

Google PhotoScan is a free app that works by taking several photos of the document with your and combining them into a single, glare free image. The results are very good and should suffice for most applications. It can’t replace the detail that can be extracted by a flatbed scanner (the images I’ve posted have been 600 dpi then shrunk significantly, the scanner itself can do up to 2400 dpi with the VueScan app I use but the specs say it can go up to 4800 which should be possible when it’s running the official drivers.

Here’s the same book scanned with the Google App and then on a flatbed scanner (I think this one was done on my library’s old scanner):

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm really happy with whatever the Google phone scanner is putting out, and on top of that it's free and saved me from spending $200+ unnecessarily.

Here are a couple that I took and the conditions. In the kitchen, kinda crappy lighting, left the bag on, all from slightly variable heights because I was stacking and removing books from a pile:

Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
THANKS for the samples, guys. This definitely gives me something to consider.
Post 19 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Scanned and posted this today on New to Your Collection #6 using my HP Scanjet 8300. It can have a bit too much glare at times, but it does a decent job on slabs. I won my scanner in an auction on ebay around 4 years ago.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Thanks for all of the samples guys!

I don't have a phone(Believe it or Not) so the Google App thing is out. While it appears to do a decent job it doesn't seem to be able to capture the small text of the labels as well the Scanners.

The 8200 seems to do the best all around job from the samples you guys have shown. The 8300 did a very nice job as well, but again the small label text didn't seem to be quite as clear with the hint of glare.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600763 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?