Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Foreign

CBCS census9082

Collector Mugroantics private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone heard any updates or the progress of the census? Is there still hope or is it dead in the water?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugroantics
Has anyone heard any updates or the progress of the census? Is there still hope or is it dead in the water?

Good question. I suspect the biggest sticking point is figuring out how to merge CBCS census books with CGC census books while maintaining som semblance of accuracy amid the crack-out and resubmit culture.

The CGC census already has accuracy issues because some resubmitted books haven't been removed after resubmission. The possibility of books being listed two or more times means that one has to calculate statistical likelihood rather than empirical data just to get an approximation of the number of graded books in the census.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I never even contemplated merging both CBCS and CGC census as one data base. Sounds like a can of worms of its own I agree with all your points.

I would be more that satisfied with CBCS only census.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
"The CGC census already has accuracy issues because some resubmitted books haven't been removed after resubmission. The possibility of books being listed two or more times means that one has to calculate statistical likelihood rather than empirical data just to get an approximation of the number of graded books in the census."

I think CBCS has this issue too.

From my own experience, I had a book that originally scored a 9.2. I submitted it for a press to CBCS and it came back as a 9.8. Both entries are available to be pulled up by the serial number for graders notes.

I was recently informed that the list only counts 50 books and maybe those books are locked in until a census or some other application is initiated. But if not, I cant see how CBCS census would be dramatically better in accuracy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
#SOON
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I never even contemplated merging both CBCS and CGC census as one data base. Sounds like a can of worms of its own I agree with all your points.

Why would the CBCS census have anything to do with CGC?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

That is what CBCS said they wanted to do
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t even know what value a census really is....especially given the whole crack and resubmit culture...I heard of one person cracking a hulk 181 9.6 several times until he got a 9.8...
Post 8 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio

Occasionally the census helps. It gives a general idea of what's out there. For truly rare books, cracking and resubmitting would only hurt your value.

As an example. If I recall correctly only 6 books this grade or higher exist.

I now know why the book is "in theory" worth as much as it is.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

It won't. The combination was going to be on the registry, which is further down the road. I think the release date for the census is in the ballpark of July. At least that's what I was told a few days ago.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you Steve. Best news I’ve heard all week!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I was pondering that a census would still be useful for proportionally understanding the population of a given book compared to others.....in other words there likely as many Hulk 102 copues cracked and resubmitted as copies of Thor 126 so the census would allow you to understand the proportional difference between most books....
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:

Just a follow-up since I've been away since my initial reply which was rushed. Apologies for any confusion & typos in the prior response.

When I was talking about merging, I wasn't suggesting knowledge of any ongoing effort to combine things into one data base or direct cooperation between the two grading companies, although that would definitely be a plus. It was about collectors trying to merge the data in their heads.

I do have concerns over compounded inaccuracy when collectors are comparing grades from two completely separate census. Erroneous data, especially on rarer high grade copies, only serves to multiply confusion as more info accumulates on two census sites.

For instance, I occasionally submit recently acquired high grade GA books for regrading by CBCS because I like cleaner, more professional labels and to get rid of Newton Ring plagued holders.

Unless Harry Potter ...CGC forumites like to call CBCS Voldemort, so this seems entirely apropos... is informed and the information is acted upon those books will remain on Harry's census creating confusion over the number of existing copies in the marketplace.

It just seems logical that addressing this issue would be a priority for both grading companies (also, I'm not clear on how a registry will assist to that end). That was the point I was trying to make.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica I prefer to call them Dumbledore
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@CatmanAmerica I prefer to call them Dumbledore

That works, too.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Drogio

Occasionally the census helps. It gives a general idea of what's out there. For truly rare books, cracking and resubmitting would only hurt your value.

As an example. If I recall correctly only 6 books this grade or higher exist.

I now know why the book is "in theory" worth as much as it is.

Great example. I have prob 6-7 raw copies of that book. None above 4.0-5.0. I believe the Savannah copy was a 9.4. Ultra tough book in high grade.
Post 16 IP   flag post
596798 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?