Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics ForeignComics Restoration and ConservationMemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

Catalog Collection7161

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
I know this has likely been covered ad nausem previously, but is there any new preferences to cataloging your personal collection? There’s CLZ, the online stuff and perhaps homemade excel sheets, etc. If you use something? What is it? What would you recommend?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’m a big fan of CLZ’s desktop app and have written a bit about it

If you have any questions about it let me know and I’ll try to find an answer for you.

I’ve found that a lot of people just stick to what they have now because they have too many books to add them to a new software. Most software solutions have some method of importing from something as simple as an excel sheet but that usually comes with its own drawbacks. In CLZ’s case it’s that while the series and issues get imported fine, those records aren’t automatically associated with their database so you don’t automatically get the cover images and other information that accompanies it. That can be fixed but I believe you have to go issue by issue so it can still take a while when you have thousands of books in your collection
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I used to use ComicBase but lately my searches don't find me all books by certain creators so I switched to CLZ but that database doesn't have issue information like first appearances or similar notes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector tim private msg quote post Address this user
I use Comic Book Realm...I seem to do best on it. I can print out my logged comics.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Im old fashion

I keep scans of all my books on a zip drive organized in folders.

I also created my own "Cyber Slab" to list all the book info on each book.

All are then bagged and boarded with E-gerber mylites and full backs.

All are then filed away in my wall cabinet.

Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I use the app Comic Books Collector (Variant Edition). Theres a free one and the Variant Edition which cost about $3.

Heres some screen shots

Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Im old fashion

Dude..that rocks!! Your zip drive/cyber slab is a great idea. you can view you collection without handling your books..seems like alot of effort but probably a labour of love and fun as well I'd bet. Really cool!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Im old fashion

Dude..that rocks!! Your zip drive/cyber slab is a great idea. you can view you collection without handling your books..seems like alot of effort but probably a labour of love and fun as well I'd bet. Really
cool!

Thanks for the kind words Yes it is indeed a labor of love. As I got older the thought having to unstack and stack all of those Long comic boxes was not very appealing and I found that I was unable to really enjoy my collection as they just sat in boxes.

After constructing my wall cabinet system I decided I needed to re-bag all of my books with mylars. In the process I became obsessed with strictly accessing and grading each and every comic in my collection, almost 10,000 books It was a massive undertaking to say the less, but it also allowed really see and enjoy the beauty of each and every book in a way I never seen them in the past.

While it is still a work in progress, I really am enjoying this labor of love with my collection more than I every was able to do in the past.

These books all have a special meaning to me and are much more than just numbers in a spread sheet.

The LED lighting was the latest addition to my cabinet....

A few more of my favorite books in the cabinet.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Gonna sound horrible but I'm on excel

Not sure if there is some way to easily drop my info into another program so I just keep updating the file with the odd backup stored as an attachment in e-mail....
Post 9 IP   flag post
596782 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?