Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversCBCS Collectors SetsCBCS EventsCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPComics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics PedigreesQuestions

Proposed Functionality634

Collector DrunkWooky private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking for an appropriate thread to place this in, but decided to just throw my own up. Hopefully, CBCS powers-that-be will be able to find and assess this suggestion.

I hear that a CBCS census is coming at some point. I'm in no particular hurry to see that function--I'd rather see it get done right than quick. However, I was considering a function that may be of use.

I grade about 50% for my personal collection and about 50% to resell. As it stands, under "My Comics" on My Dashboard I have a bunch of comics that I previously graded but no longer own.

Working in real estate, I got the idea of "record title" for comic books. Perhaps there could be some sort of function where, once sold, a book's unique UPC could be assigned over to the new owner, creating an unbroken chain of comic book title. This would provide a record in case of theft and also provide pedigrees for certain books as they move around from collection to collection.

Maybe this is already in the works, but I figured I would toss it out there in case it isn't. Let me know what you think, guys!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
+1
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I think that'd be a great idea! I know genuinecoa.com tries to do something like that with their witnessed autographed collectibles but I have no experience with their system at all. I do like the idea of tracking the provenance of a book, not just pedigree books
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Hell yes!
I was thinking about this exact same thing when I was doing my research to choose a grading company.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Of course if owner names become a public part of the searchable database, there will need to be a privacy option for owners who don't want their name public.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DrunkWooky private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Of course if owner names become a public part of the searchable database, there will need to be a privacy option for owners who don't want their name public.

I would agree. However, there could still be the internal tracking by CBCS of the chain of title using such privacy proxy titles.

These are definitely nuances that would need to be figured out. Also, who has control over "transferring" the book. Would CBCS issue a unique serial number once the Seller notifies CBCS of the sale? Would a Purchaser then physically receive the book, type in the unique number and then have that request approved by the Seller?

I think it could work if proper safeguards were thought of in advance and put in place. It could also begin providing data for how often certain issues are bought and sold. Like the "volume" data that stock exchanges have on any given stock symbol.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWooky
Quote:

I would agree. However, there could still be the internal tracking by CBCS of the chain of title using such privacy proxy titles.

These are definitely nuances that would need to be figured out. Also, who has control over "transferring" the book. Would CBCS issue a unique serial number once the Seller notifies CBCS of the sale? Would a Purchaser then physically receive the book, type in the unique number and then have that request approved by the Seller?

I think it could work if proper safeguards were thought of in advance and put in place. It could also begin providing data for how often certain issues are bought and sold. Like the "volume" data that stock exchanges have on any given stock symbol.

I had a issue once where I purchased a book off ebay, to put in my Register series. When I tried to put the number into my register, someone (maybe the seller) still had it in theirs. I had to show proof of ownership to have it removed off their registry and placed in mine. Guess either they forgot or wanted to try to keep getting a "Best in Series"

Either way, it was a simple matter of transferring it over. Can't see why it couldn't be done here.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It could be as simple as the current owner clicks on "transfer registry" then the site generates a unique URL address that the owner then gives to the new owner, who clicks on the URL and finishes the transfer. All the security would be contained within the encryption of the unique URL address. It's just a matter of finding a web programmer who has that particular set of skills.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector molcott private msg quote post Address this user
may be able to do it with adobe cold fusion
Post 9 IP   flag post
Somewhere there's someone picking up the phone to call CBCS.

Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego He doesn't look like somebody I would trust. LOL
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector sterlingcomics private msg quote post Address this user
At the bare minimum, what Collector Society does. I do think there's a TON that can be done to differentiate CBCS from them however. Automatically adding books you've graded into a graded set would be terrific "advertising" for a seller, actually. I saw the blip about the images...how much does CBCS charge for scanning? Ultimately I think that will bring down overall service quality.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The fee for images is $6 or $5 for membership holders.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
The fee for images is $6 or $5 for membership holders.

What size of image and do they include the bc?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'll have to check my computer when I get home from work to get the image size. They only include the front of the slab.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'll have to check my computer when I get home from work to get the image size. They only include the front of the slab.

I'd love to see a sample here. Thanks for checking.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Here's one of mine.

Post 17 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Good Lord, that's blue.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This one was done by CBCS also.

Post 19 IP   flag post
I checked my two images and one is 600 x 902 and the other is 600 x 906.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here's one of mine.

That does seem to have a blue-ish / purple tint. Anyone know where that comes from? Here is another image I found online, for comparison.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Probably just the lighting they have in the encapsulation room.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I’m sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I've been wondering about the photos, thanks for sharing. However I think I will stick with doing my own.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
I've been wondering about the photos, thanks for sharing. However I think I will stick with doing my own.

Yeah, I think so, too. I've only submitted two batches so far - about 20 comics in the first, and a follow-up batch of ~15. Out of that I paid for one with a picture. It was an art-sketch comic, so I thought it would be nice to have a high-res professional photo of the cover before slabbing. It didn't occur to me that the photo would be *after* slabbing (and I didn't think to ask ... it was my mistake, of course, to make that assumption). I'm not sure, going forward, why someone would pay $5 for this, if one can just take a picture after getting it back, with more neutral lighting.

My assumption was due to the fact that CBCS offers two types of photo services - $5 for just the cover, or $200 for a "slideshow" of the entire comic. The slideshow is done before slabbing of course, which is why I assumed the cover photo was, too. (I did this at a convention, not through the website which makes it clear it's done after encapsulation.)

FYI - Steve, if you are reading this, the add-on price for a photo is reversed on the "pricing" page: $6 for members and $5 for non-members.
Post 24 IP   flag post
One of the benefits of the $5 image is that it will be permanently visible in the grader notes. Every time the serial number is entered to read the notes the picture shows up right there.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
One of the benefits of the $5 image is that it will be permanently visible in the grader notes. Every time the serial number is entered to read the notes the picture shows up right there.

I didn't know that ... good to know, thx.
Post 26 IP   flag post
600696 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?