Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

Learn from my mistake...Thor 13416799

Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
OK, here's my sad story...

I wanted a nice copy of Thor 134, not just because it is the first appearance of the High Evolutionary (coming to the MCU in Guardians Of The Galaxy 3), but also because this issue has, IMHO, some of the finest Kirby interior art of any comic.

I bought this book on eBay for around $50 and sent it in to be slabbed. Figured it was about a 6.0 or 7.0-ish.

Mistake #1: I did not inspect the interior of the comic. It looked so good bagged and boarded, I just ASSUMED it was complete. I submit a lot of books and I don't look at the interiors generally, mainly because I don't want to damage them in handling. Oy!

Turns out this book is missing a page! Arrrgh! If I had inspected the book when I got it, maybe I could have gone back to my eBay seller, but now a year has past. Oh well.

Mistake #2: No grade screen. I could have avoided paying for the grading on this book if I had set a grade screen, even a low one like 3.0. As CBCS says,

This service allows you to select a minimum grade you would like to have your book certified at. If your book is determined by CBCS to be below the grade you have selected, your book will be returned in it's raw state and you may be charged a nominal "reject fee". If your book meets the minimum grade, it will be certified and placed into a CBCS case with no additional fees. Remember that the screening grade you choose is the minimum it can be to be certified at. In many cases your book may grade higher than the grade you chose.

CBCS is happy to provide this service as a way to prevent customers from having to pay full grading fees for comics they might not want CBCS to certify. Also remember that you can screen for any grade between 3.0 and 9.8 for each individual book. You may choose a completely different Grade Screening level for each one of the comics in your submission on the same invoice. Choosing the Grade Screening service has absolutely no impact on the stated turnaround time of your submission tier. We offer the same CBCS Guarantee with this service that we have on all of your submissions.

I am going to set low grade screens on all my 'uninspected' books in the future.

So, I am out about $90 all-in for this mishap. Don't let this happen to you!

I think I should sent it over to one of the guys at the 'What are you shootin' topic so they can take it out AND SHOOT IT!

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/15455/page/1/what-are-you-shootin/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice at least you didn't pay to get a signature verified, like I did. πŸ˜ͺ

Post 2 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@MrNotSoNice at least you didn't pay to get a signature verified, like I did. πŸ˜ͺ

i dont think id ever pay to get a signature authenticated unless I was there to witness it. i have a secret wars 8 signed by shooter, zeck and beatty. i know its real as well unless frauds were at convention and fooled the people holding it...I was there to see them sign it
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O And that looks like a really nice copy as well. Ouch.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Always count the pages! Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 after, back cover.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
It’s happened to me on my ASM 15 - solid copy that displays well. All to be returned a .5 with a missing page that did not affect the story. Always count the pages!
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think grading companies should not give the automatic .5 grade to a book missing a page. If the missing page does not affect story/art the grade should be slightly higher (1.0) compared to the missing page impacting story/art .5.
Post 7 IP   flag post
My Iron Man 1 story from a year ago:
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/14298/page/1/the-sad-but-funny-story-of-iron-man-1/
Post 8 IP   flag post
@GAC Many disagree with me, but I actually prefer the CGC way of grading the rest of the book. I feel like it would at least be a consolation prize in this case. And it would be nice to know how the rest of the book would have graded out.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@GAC Many disagree with me, but I actually prefer the CGC way of grading the rest of the book. I feel like it would at least be a consolation prize in this case. And it would be nice to know how the rest of the book would have graded out.

I'm one of those that don't like Qualified grades...they are fake grades. I do understand why Qualified exists but they're fantasy grades.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Yup... Qualified grades are like getting the 5th place trophy with 5 people. They give a grade of what it would be without the major defect - yknow - let the consumer down easy. We don't want them complaining they didn't get their 5th place trophy
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hello, my name is Stu and I'm a shill. HexView private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I think grading companies should not give the automatic .5 grade to a book missing a page. If the missing page does not affect story/art the grade should be slightly higher (1.0) compared to the missing page impacting story/art .5.
Totally disagree since the comic is incomplete either way. Doesn't matter what page is missing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
This guy gets it πŸ‘
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I'm one of those that don't like Qualified grades...they are fake grades. I do understand why Qualified exists but they're fantasy grades.

So a NM IH #181 with the MVS stamp missing should be in a 0.5 slab?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Been there. My very first submission I sent in included Batman 121 (1st Mr. Freeze). Did the same thing and didn't really examine it before I sent. It was missing the center page and came back as a .5. I actually don't regret it because when it comes time to sell there's no question. Plus, even in that condition it's still sellable at a good price.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexView
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

A NM IH #181 missing the MVS would not get a 0.5 based on the missing stamp alone.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Totally disagree since the comic is incomplete either way. Doesn't matter what page is missing.

The importance of the book lies in the story and art. If something from the book is missing, a distinction should be made about what is missing....kinda like they do with covers. A missing ad page is less important than a missing story/art page. That difference should be reflected in the grade...books missing pages are not all equal.

Maybe give it a 0.8.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

A NM IH #181 missing the MVS would not get a 0.5 based on the missing stamp alone.
Maybe if you used a Qualified
grade πŸ˜† It should get a 0.5 since the book is incomplete.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

The importance of the book lies in the story and art. If something from the book is missing, a distinction should be made about what is missing....kinda like they do with covers. A missing ad page is less important than a missing story/art page. That difference should be reflected in the grade...books missing pages are not all equal.

Maybe give it a 0.8.
You don't like Qualified grades but you sure like to use qualifiers 😁 The lowest common denominator is missing page = incomplete. What page it is is irrelevant to me because I'm not buying an incomplete comic in the first place.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Having a cut coupon or a missing panel is not the same as missing an entire page. Books with an entire page missing receive the 0.5 grade in a blue label. When a portion of a page is missing, either due to a torn corner or other tear, or because someone clipped something out, the book can receive a higher grade. I know I have seen Hulk #181’s w/o the coupons get 1.8 blue labels, but I am not sure if that’s as high a grade as it can get. How many books have you seen with grades in the 2.0’s with a significant amount of a corner of the cover missing, or with the Marvel logo cut out?
Post 20 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Quote:

I agree with both of you. I think a 0.5 is harsh even with a missing page. if a comic is near mint with the exception of a missing page. would it be a .5

but its still affects the value. i think a missing page regardless of what page or what was on it relating to story....should effect big time
Post 21 IP   flag post
@power_struggle55 of course a book missing a page should be hammered hard on the grade but not all missing pages are the same. This is why missing covers are graded CBCS 0.3 or CGC NG. They recognize the importance of the cover more than an interior page. I'm saying to take that line of thinking one step further and recognize a missing ad page differently than a missing story/art page. The book with the missing ad page should not be hammered as hard on grade as the book missing story/art page. Both incomplete but not equally incomplete.
Post 22 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Shit happens. Pull your boots up and move on.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Damn. I've been lucky. I only recently started checking for coupons clipped. I'd have been pissed if my kiby signed book was missing pages.....
Post 24 IP   flag post
the only thing that would be missing from some of my comics that are worth getting graded are the "digital code" stickers. I think i heard cbcs takes .2 off of score (so a 9.8 would become a 9.6)
Post 25 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
That's a low penalty for missing sticker. I'd hammer the book if I was a grading company especially since it's a modern book.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
That's a low penalty for missing sticker. I'd hammer the book if I was a grading company especially since it's a modern book.

@Bronte Smash!
Post 27 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

Lol. I tried to "hulk clap" a candle once. No go. It's harder than it looks......
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I always thought it was rude to get a qualified grade on this for cover detached at one staple, but I learned. It was long ago at least.

Post 29 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I always thought it was rude to get a qualified grade on this for cover detached at one staple, but I learned. It was long ago at least.

That's crazy! A book can't grade 9.0 with a detached staple.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 50 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?