Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The sad but funny story of Iron Man #114298

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Back around 1989 my friend needed some cash and asked for $40 for a box of sports cards. I took it a guy who had a little sports card/comic area set up in the back of someone else's antique store and he gave me something like $100 credit. With the credit I got lower-mid grade copies of Iron Man 1, X-men 14 and Daredevil 16.
Many years later, around the time of Iron Man 2 movie I gave the Iron Man 1 comic to my oldest nephew. His Grandfather (not my father) had passed away and I wanted to cheer him up, I knew he was into comics and movies. Shortly after that I sold the X-men 14 on Ebay and the buyer contacts me and says it has color touch on the cover. My mind goes back 30 years, and it dawns on me that the greasy mullet I got it from was just the type of dealer to do things like that, I discount the purchase, no questions asked.
Now the Iron Man 1 has significant value and I tell my nephew I will cash it out for him. Then I start thinking about where I got it from and I realize there could be problems. So I tell my nephew I will give him $200 up front, get it graded and checked for restoration and give him the rest when I sell it for him. Long story short, on my last trip home I got the book from him and decided I better check the interior. Color Touch would have been a better option because when I counted the pages I realized 2 pages were missing. They were removed so cleanly that you would only notice it if you count the pages. I gave the nephew the $200 because I didn't want to turn a nice gift into a very disappointing gift. Oh well, now my Iron Man 1-10 run is just 2 pages short of being complete:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
wow that sucks!! is there anything special about those pages?? seems odd to remove only 2
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
wow that sucks!! is there anything special about those pages?? seems odd to remove only 2

I'm not sure. There were 8 pages on the left side of the staple and only 6 on the right side. My guess is that the dealer cut them out cleanly to hide something else, maybe damage, writing or coupon cutting. This was a decade before slabbing and 3rd party certification, I'm thinking it was a $30 book at the time.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear that, still a great book. It will keep increasing in value so at least you will still make a profit from it. I've given a couple of books to my nephews, including an avengers 4 and brave and bold 34.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Part it out?? see all sorts of individual pages for sale for other books
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Batman66 I was hoping it would work out better for the kid. The $200 is kind of worth it just to be reminded of that year from summer 1988 to summer 1989. I remember sports cards were hot but comics seemed to have cooled off after the Indie boom. I was driving all over town buying comics that year. Last night I pulled these odd books out of a box, purchased that same year. Had no idea I had them, according to the sticker I paid 70 cents each for them, looks like now they sell for $50 or more depending on grade:

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Part it out?? see all sorts of individual pages for sale for other books

lol, that's ok. I had no intentions of ever completing my run by owning an Iron Man #1 and now I do. Turns out this is the only way it was going to happen.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Most likely the page that was removed had a coupon clipped. A clipped coupon is very easy to notice while a carefully removed page is not unless you physically count the pages. If both sides of the page contained advertising you could actually read the entire comic without noticing. It is a painful lesson to learn for sure😕.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
In the 90's I owned a LCS in NY. One day my ex calls and says can I bring home some comics to throw into my son's goodie bags for his birthday party. Long and short, I stuffed those goodie bags with New Mutant 98's! Woulda, coulda, shoulda! No regrets!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch. Sorry that happened.

There are a few big name dealers who decades ago would sit at their booths at cons, Sharpie in hand, touching up books.

#DirtyLittleSecret
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
Bought a Batman 3 GA ( back in late 80s) cover with a Batman 13 inside At a show Waited 2 years to get back to that guy and he gave me store credit he new what he was doing scumbag seller never forgot him or his store !!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Most likely the page that was removed had a coupon clipped. A clipped coupon is very easy to notice while a carefully removed page is not unless you physically count the pages

@michaelekrupp That's exactly how I see it. The pages were removed cleanly. Funny thing is that I still have the 3rd book from the story, the Daredevil 16. I checked the interior and everything looks ok, but no way will I ever slab it just to find out its color touched. Probably will send it to MCS where the only cost of the restoration check is a 1 point hit from their super tight grading.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

I'm not sure. There were 8 pages on the left side of the staple and only 6 on the right side. My guess is that the dealer cut them out cleanly to hide something else, maybe damage, writing or coupon cutting. This was a decade before slabbing and 3rd party certification, I'm thinking it was a $30 book at the time.

That seems like a weird way to remove a page. Did he carefully cut it, like with a razor blade?

Wait a minute ... if it's six on one side and eight on the other, doesn't that mean he removed two pages, not just one? Cutting both of them?

I would never take a page out of a comic, but if I had to, I would just remove an entire wrap. But that would keep the number of pages on each side of the staples even. I can imagine thinking a razor blade is a good method ... seems like the remaining page(s) would be visible in the interior of the spine.
Post 14 IP   flag post
601353 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?