Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsComics Modern Age

Poly bag Crease10708

Collector lpgasdude private msg quote post Address this user
So I pulled some books to put together a full set of Rise of the Midnight Sons the other day. I thought it might be a good time to have that ready. I finally opened the bags(after what...25 years?..Holy Crap) and found the poly bag creases on most, if not all of them. It's very apparent at the top back covers, and unfortunately for a few pages into the books. Has anyone had these creases pressed out? Will they just reappear after awhile since I'm sure they have been there for years? I was thinking of sending them in, but with pressing and grading it's like $180 plus shipping. Any ideas?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Yes.
No.
Several.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, they can press out (if they don't break color or have color rub).

If done properly and not rushed the creases will not revert.

How many books are you talking about?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Excellent answers, I do appreciate brevity. Although as you can tell from my post, I have yet to master it. Questions asked, questions answered, time to archive this thread. HAHa. Thanks though, that's good to know.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Yes, they can press out (if they don't break color or have color rub).

If done properly and not rushed the creases will not revert.

How many books are you talking about?

Just the 6 from the Rise of the Midnight Sons set.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Hoping for the best outcome. Posting a few scans might e helpful.
Post 6 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I thought these were $1.00 books but there is a graded set selling on eBay for almost $600.00 Is there a movie coming out or something I missed? I think I have multiple copies of these buried somewhere.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
$600 is the current bid? Or they're asking $600 BIN? Otherwise I still see it more or less as a $1 book. I have a few so I'd be happily wrong, but I can't see $600 without a few sigs.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
$600 is the current bid? Or they're asking $600 BIN? Otherwise I still see it more or less as a $1 book. I have a few so I'd be happily wrong, but I can't see $600 without a few sigs.

Can't find any sales of slabbed copies on Ebay. TPB's are the only thing that have gone for more than $10 from what I can see.
Post 9 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

$595.00 BIN for the set of 6 with no signatures but they are all graded by CBCS and not CGC
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Arak private msg quote post Address this user
I will give him this, He really knows how to put an ad to build value
Lists all the firsts, protagonists and antagonists when someone joined team, pumps up cbcs really well , lists all artists
all 9.6 with one 9.8 and free shipping , so one hundred a graded book with shipping
I'm kinda pulling for him
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I believe they are about $4.00 each except for Ghost Rider 28 (2nd Series) which is going for a bit more...I think they heated up in September 2019 when it was announced that Hulu had optioned for a Ghost Rider Robbie Reyes TV Series. This series has now been cancelled for the time being.

Here's a couple links about it:

clickable text

clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
I thought these were $1.00 books but there is a graded set selling on eBay for almost $600.00 Is there a movie coming out or something I missed? I think I have multiple copies of these buried somewhere.

I thought I read somewhere(maybe here, maybe GoCollect?, maybe a dream?) that since Marvel was maybe going to the horror books some that this might be something to look at in the future. Although if I did pull a full set of 9.8's I can't say I would really want to let it go. But then again, it's not like I have hundreds of dollars to play with. I don't know, that's why I mentioned it on here I guess.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgasdude
So I pulled some books to put together a full set of Rise of the Midnight Sons the other day. I thought it might be a good time to have that ready. I finally opened the bags(after what...25 years?..Holy Crap) and found the poly bag creases on most, if not all of them. It's very apparent at the top back covers, and unfortunately for a few pages into the books. Has anyone had these creases pressed out? Will they just reappear after awhile since I'm sure they have been there for years? I was thinking of sending them in, but with pressing and grading it's like $180 plus shipping. Any ideas?

They can be pressed out and should not come back. It is worth the extra $12. I wish I had all of my polybagged comics sent straight in for press. I went by finger touch around the edges and just sent in for straight grading. From the I wish I had known file.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Arak, Thanks!
@MutantMania - all signs point to yes with Disney streaming now up, their ownership in Hulu, retrieval of rights from Fox & Sony, MCU Dr. Strange upcoming movie, and then theres this: clickable text
@EbaySeller, Individually, the 6 comics (graded/unsigned) in this set have sold on ebay and comiclink for between $50 and $140.

That said, one only has to see that they can get the set discounted here in the CBCS forum under the following thread: clickable text Which I will be adding more individual items and sets and even dropping prices along the way until sold.

@lpgasdude, sorry to hijack, but again, just send into Steve Rickets and the CBCS team for press and encapsulation. It's worth it for both the preservation plus if you are going to display or sell.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator

@lpgasdude, sorry to hijack, but again, just send into Steve Rickets and the CBCS team for press and encapsulation. It's worth it for both the preservation plus if you are going to display or sell.

No worries. Your post is the one that got me inspired to check the books out.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arak
I'm kinda pulling for him

Sure, why not? If his listing is clear and honest, and he's throwing an optimistic price on them, why not? We often laugh at "way out there" listings, but they're usually misleading or some other sneaky crap.

If he can get someone to pay his price, "congrats to the seller", I always say- But I may not always say that to the buyer.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Actually not familiar with poly bag creases. I assume that means no boards? Addicted to boards myself, even my 3 for a dollar boxes is boarded, which I know makes no sense
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@doog - These were books that were placed into and sold as new comics by the manufacturer inside a poly bag. The fold in the bag can leave an indentation in the cover of the book - sometimes called a poly bag crease.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Actually not familiar with poly bag creases. I assume that means no boards? Addicted to boards myself, even my 3 for a dollar boxes is boarded, which I know makes no sense
The seam on the back of the poly bags are pressed into the paper. A backing board actually increases it, I would think.
If a box of polybagged comics were carefully placed in bags without boards, or just put in the box as is, they probably would not be as pronounced, but may likely result in defects that a press can't help.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
The seam on the back of the poly bags are pressed into the paper. A backing board actually increases it, I would think.
If a box of polybagged comics were carefully placed in bags without boards, or just put in the box as is, they probably would not be as pronounced, but may likely result in defects that a press can't help.

@Siggy, I can attest from personal experiences, that you are correct on all counts...D@##!+
Post 21 IP   flag post
600811 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?