Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Shipping comics suggestions?9047

Collector Peanutt private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in the process of shipping 37 wrapped and boarded comics. I had originally intended to use media mail but I've read that the post office is cracking down on the use of it. The package weights around 7lbs. Is using a flat rate $14.35 my best bet? I know that a trip to the post office would answer the question, but it's late and they're not open. Any suggestions?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
it is likely your best option...problem using media mail is if they open it and determine you were attempting to circumvent fees, they will make it fees due on delivery or make you pay once they return it to you, without delivering the package.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'd highly suggest going flat rate. I once had a comic shipped to me, in Minnesota, from Michigan. It took two weeks to get to me!!! I received my eBay purchase from Portugal quicker!!! Plus, the Gemini Mailer was beat beyond recognition. If the post office had checked it, I would have had to pay the difference. I have had to do that three times over the years. Each time, the seller reimbursed me, so I got lucky there. I never ship comics media mail. Like someone pointed out, if the post office opens it, do you really think they are going to handle the comics gently? If your dealing with readers, that may not be a concern. Me, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for the peace of mind.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I make my own box for my comic books. The box is cut so there is no movement by the comic books, then bubble wrapped, then I make an outer box and wrap it completed in brown fiber tape. It takes a little time and cost a little more but my books are received intact and so far none of my boxes have been breached.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
37 bagged and boarded comics I wouldn't think would fit into one $14.95 flat-rate.
Oh, and
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2609/page/1/packaging-books-to-send-out/#7
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Peanutt private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
37 bagged and boarded comics I wouldn't think would fit into one $14.95 flat-rate.
Oh, and
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2609/page/1/packaging-books-to-send-out/#7

They fit almost perfectly with a little room to spare at the top.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Do not use bubble wrap when shipping comics. Bubble wrap primarily prevents fragile items from being broken. Comic books get damaged in shipping from being bent and impact damage from being dropped or crushed. Use layers of new sturdy cardboard bigger then the comics and or combined with new sturdy boxed cardboard bigger than the comic. If shipping boxed fill any air voids to prevent shifting with crunched paper, packing peanuts, or perhaps bubble wrap.

I’ve received way to many comics from eBay where it was bubble wrapped and placed into an envelope with a bunch of fragile do not bend. Guess what happened, the comic got flexed and bent because bubble wrap does nothing to prevent bending or corner impact damage. Layers of new sturdy cardboard bigger than the comics is very important to prevent flexing and impact damage during shipping.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I would separate the 37 comics into 3-4 bundles of comics depending on thickness. Place them cover to cover, sandwich between thick cardboard. Find a large enough box, pack properly with packing peanuts, bubble wrap, etc, tape her up and ship. But not media mail. Media mail is trash.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Even the post office will tell you not to use media mail. It gets beat up just on principle, I think.
Post 9 IP   flag post
597871 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?