Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics PedigreesComics Silver AgeSignatures

Comic Book PEDIGREES THREAD8583

Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
A Thread needed in this Forum. Hope it's bumped regularly. I'll start with the Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree, but ALL PEDIGREES welcome for posting.

From the Comic Book Pedigrees page:

COSMIC AEROPLANE
The second earliest collection recognized as a pedigree, Cosmic Aeroplanes are famous for their distinct markings. Discovered in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1972, the collection was raided by a few collectors before being sold to David Faggiola, owner of the Cosmic Aeroplane Bookstore (hence the name). The books were subsequently and anonymously liquidated into the market.

The collection was amassed by an art teacher during the ’40s and ‘50s to be used for demonstrative purposes for students. This is evident by the numerous checkmarks and notations written in pencil on the margins of each page, or on the cover. Because the collection had been assimilated long before the pedigree concept took hold, there are many unidentified in the market. Collectors enjoy the rush of discovering "lost" copies from the collection, an emotion similarly experienced by fans of the San Francisco, Okajima and Recil Macon pedigrees.

There is no way of knowing the true size of the Cosmic Aeroplane collection, but it's rumored to be somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000. It yielded some big key issues like Adventure #40, Flash #1, and the Showcase #4 pictured on the cover of the 1992 Overstreet Grading Guide. The average grade of the collection is a bit lower than that of its fellow pedigrees, but the rumored size, presence of big keys, and easy identification has allowed the collection's legacy to prevail over the years.

I collect a lot of the Ace Periodical comics. When the opportunity arose to acquire Ped copies of issues from their flagship titles, i was determined to win those auctions. This one has an interesting bondage torture cover

Post 1 IP   flag post
This one is notable because it's a book missing from the Gerber Photo Journals (A Gerber No Show).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Certainly one of the coolest pedigree stories. I will match your pair with another pair.

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
@the420bandito Very nice!! And I agree, one of the cooler Ped stories. Thanks for sharing!
Post 5 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii TERRIFIC THREAD! Looking forward to hearing about Pedigree
Collections and their History.
Sorry, I have none to contribute.

Marty
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
@Sagii TERRIFIC THREAD! Looking forward to hearing about Pedigree
Collections and their History.
Sorry, I have none to contribute.

Marty
Thanks Marty! Hope there are lots of participants over the year.
...And you know your collection is held in pedigree status by all of us in the comic collecting community 🍻
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector LeeK private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately - I only have one. But I do love that DC pink.

Post 8 IP   flag post
@LeeK As beautiful as it is wacky! Thanks for posting!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I'll double-check, but I think this is my sole Cosmic Aeroplane pedigree...

Let me know when the Church doors open.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica Absolutley beautiful Cat! Anyone is free to showcase Any ped they desire. I started with Cosmic Aeroplane because they were in our hosts label and because I had two example. Wish I had more Edgar books, currently own only one 😱 but I said this year of collecting will have a focus on picking up Ped copies, and it's only March so maybe another Edgar will make it into the collection.

Anyway, maybe I will post a background story weekly on a specific Ped (and that can be the Ped of the week if folks want it that way).
Post 11 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii

...And you know your collection is held in pedigree status by all of us in the comic collecting community 🍻

Thank you for the kind words...I truly appreciate them.

Marty
Post 12 IP   flag post
This one has the check-marks on the cover per the write-up. The search continues.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
This one has the check-marks on the cover per the write-up. The search continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito

[img]Amazing! Not a book you see every day. Nice Ped copy!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I have a couple of pedigree collection books. Crowley and Crippen, to be specific, which I will post at the appropriate time. Mainly just mentioning this so I will receive updates on this thread without having to keep checking back.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp Roger that! Again folks feel free to post any ped you want, but from the small sample pool it seems folks would like a spotlight format for the roll out. So we'll let Cosmic Aeroplane finish out the weeks focus and bump every 7 days with a different Ped in the spotlight.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Sounds like a good format. There are only so many pedigree collections so it will be fun to see what pops up each week.

I have a ton of Crippen, Pacific Coast, Winnipeg, and a jumble of everything else. My original goal was to get a comic from each pedigree. Unfortunately collections like Denver, Billy Wright made this an unattainable goal.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@the420bandito I would have liked to have done that also, but highly unlikely. But i'm committed to add another Church copy or two. Patience is the game ...(and money )
Post 18 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I'm more of a silver age collector and one title I enjoyed was TTA with the Hulk and Sub-mariner.I put the run together easily so thought about putting together a run of pedigrees regardless of condition from as many silver age pedigrees as I could find. So far I've collected about thirty plus with a couple of doubles. Big Apple,Boston,Mile high 2 (not a ped) Oakland, Northland,Pacific Coast,Rocky Mountain,Savannah,Susha News,Twin Cities,Western Penn,Winnipeg and White Mountain.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I've always been fascinated by the stories behind pedigree books unfortunately I have not heard much about the silver age ones. But I do recall some about the Oakland collection. If I'm wrong about any facts feel free to correct me. What I do remember is the kid who collected these was about 8 or 9 years old when he started. The collection is late silver age and mostly bronze. When he read his books he placed a clean towel underneath them and always read with one hand supporting the book. He never traded books with the kids in the neighborhood. And he had an arrangement with the local drug store owner where he bought his books from that he would put them out for display as the books came in so he could get first crack at them.

TTA 88 not high grade but remember the child was 8 or 9 at the time.

TTA 99 high grade. I believe he was 9 or 10 years old and the rest of his collection hovered around this grade.
Not bad for a kid collecting. I myself would have been lucky to have any books at his age in the 4.0 if they survived.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@southerncross Stunners!
Again, all Peds of all ages welcome! Thanks for taking the wheel!
This is great, because i'm the opposite: I'm not as familiar with Silver Age/Atom Age Peds, so this will be a learning experience.
Post 21 IP   flag post
To put @southerncross contribution in context

From the Comic Pressing site page

OAKLAND COLLECTION

The Oakland collection is a rather large collection that surfaced in the late 90’s (at least 4,000 books), of mostly high grade superhero books from 1967 to 1972. Some of the more notable books include a very high grade copy of Silver Surfer #4 (CGC graded at a 9.4). Many collectors consider this collection a “warehouse find” as opposed to a pedigree collection.

This collection obviously originates from the city of Oakland, California. The original owner purchased the books from a local liquor store in exchange for racking the books for the store. He was always careful about how he handled the books, and being the first one with access to the books he was privileged to have the first crack at taking the copies he wanted. He actually wore gloves and used a clean towel as a place mat when handling the books outside of the store. The collection surfaced at Wonder Con in 1998, and three months later was purchased by two dealers; Mike Carbonaro of Neatstuff Collectibles primarily.

Post 22 IP   flag post
I would think @southerncross notation of Drug store would be more accurate as opposed to Liquor store being that is was a kid and the establishment sold comics.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Sagil thanks for the additional information
Post 24 IP   flag post
I have a small handful of Oakland books. This one has a cool date stamp up top.

Post 25 IP   flag post
and this classic cover!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Boston

Post 27 IP   flag post
Rocky Mountain

Post 28 IP   flag post
Winnipeg

Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the floodgates are opening. There's a line forming in the Church confessional, but before folks get too comfortable in the pew think I'll dust off some Crippens...

Post 30 IP   flag post
611411 373 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?