Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

10 Favorite Acquisitions of 20188049

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So there's still a few weeks left in December but we can get this started now.

Basically, post your 10 favorite acquisitions of 2018, whether they're comics, statues, or anything else you collect. Post the favorites you got in 2018!

mine (in no particular order)

Fantastic Firsts
I love the Marvel Limited books and I was able to snag this one for a steal!

Marvel Authentix: Daredevil #1
This was actually on my list last year but at that time the back cover hadn't been painted yet and now it's graded as well!

Tomb Raider: The Greatest Treasure of All Prelude (New Dimension Comics Exclusive)
I missed my chance to get this in an auction like 2 years ago and a copy finally came up a few weeks ago. I think another copy popped up before that flew under my radar but there aren't many of these as it's supposed to be limited to 200 copies

Over the Garden Wall LP soundtrack
This mini series has such a charming soundtrack reminiscent of pre-1950s Americana and its only standalone physical release was on vinyl as is most appropriate. Unfortunately it had gone out of print and the prices skyrocketed up to $250+. Eventually it was reprinted and I was able to finally snag it at a fraction of the price, though the seller was a pain in the ass to deal with

Marvels (Graphitti Designs Edition)
Right up there with the Marvel Limited books, I'm a big fan of the old Graphitti Designs books

Batman: Mask of the Phantasom
One of my favorite Batman movies and probably my favorite Bruce Timm cover!

Ballistic #1 Color Guide
Michael Turner is one of my favorite comic artists and I was mighty happy to snag this color guide from his first published issue.

Punisher War Journal #62 page
My first ever original art page! I was glad that I was able to make it a Punisher page, though it didn't feature Frank it did feature Lynn Michaels which is a nice consolation

Elektra Sketch by Joseph Michael Linsner
I found myself focusing more on OA at SDCC this year and the only sketch cover I got done at the show was this one by Joseph Michael Linsner. I love his style and I love the way this one came out. It's getting graded at the moment but I'm planning to crack it and have him color it next year...and probably get another sketch cover from him while I'm there

Witchblade Spring Pin-Up (Convention Edition)
My list last year included the other Witchblade book from the 1997 Pittsburgh Con and I was fortunate enough to snag this one not long after, and graded to boot!

Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
It has been a banner year for me. It may take me a bit to find a picture for the TOS 27

1. Tales to Astonish 27 (sold) - Can't find a picture of the 6.0 I sold but this copy (not mine) is close enough.

2. Action Comics 252

3. Action Comics 19

4. Amazing Adventures 1

5. Rick and Morty 1 1:50 Justin ROiland Variant)

6. Fantastic Four 11 (sold)

7. Startling Comics 47

8. Strange Adventures 1

9. All Star Comics 54

10. Fantastic Four 51

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my top 5.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Let's see, I got this for myself for my birthday:

I got this with my tax return:

I also got these with my tax return and got them to a private signing:

I got some great stuff at Big Apple but this was my true prize, Mr. Steranko was wonderful as usual.

I'm a sucker for those pre-code bondage covers

See above.

Meeting Brent Spiner was fun.

I didn't get many books at NYCC, but I found this beauty.

And this one:

Post 4 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
To keep the suspense going some lists have a count-down, so here's my TOP 10 of the year (drum roll, please)...

#10 Schomburg mayhem abounds in Exciting Comics #34 as the Black Terror hits a nazi officer so hard that it knocks the shocked commander's eyes back into his head...

#9 This is the second issue of The HUMAN TORCH in his own magazine (Winter 1940-41), and yes, more Schomburg mayhem complete with trap doors for Toro, machine guns blasting away and a beautiful heroine in need of rescue...

#8 This copy of Captain America #63 is an upgrade of a mid-grade book I used to own; Syd Shores had a knack for producing creepy covers with oddball characters and this cagey villain The Parrot is no exception...

#7 Marvel Mystery #80 has a wild Charles Nicholas Mad Hatter cover and the first appearance of Captain America in Marvel Mystery...

#6 From my wheelhouse this blindingly yellow, imaginatively drawn Lou Fine cover on HIT Comics #9 stood out like a beacon from a distant lighthouse just waiting for me to pull along side and drop anchor...

#5 SMASH Comics #38 is one of two stylish covers completed by Ruben Moreira (aka Rubimor) for Quality (two that I'm aware of, the other is the second Kid Eternity cover for HIT Comics #26; are there more?)...

#4 is a recent HA acquisition. The NYC invasion cover for Marvel Mystery Comics #33 (July 1942) is Alex Schomburg's first Japanese war cover for MMC, the prior three "Remember Pearl Harbor" MMC covers were done by Al Gabriele while Alex worked on other Timely projects. Also, this was the same cover illustration provided for the rare Canadian Marvel Mystery Annual (128 pages with B&W interiors)...

#3 is my upgraded copy of Marvel Mystery #66 and bookend to MMC #33 (this being the last Schomburg war cover, dated Sept. 1945); in an ironic twist exactly 33 issues later there's another Japanese attack on NYC, this last ditch effort employing a WMD (the famous "Death Ray" cover issue of MMC coming out mere weeks before the U.S. actually used atomic bombs to bring the war to a close)...

#2 My prize comic book this year is a copy of PRIZE Comics #20, a rare book with a beautifully detailed Jack Binder parade cover (March 1942). Originally this was a Gerber "No Show" which means it's missing from Ernie Gerber's massive two volume Photo-Journal Guide to Comics. Blank spaces were left in spots where no known copies were available to photograph at the time of publication (at present there are still only two known high grade copies, this beauty and the Church copy)...

#1 My numero uno acquisition of 2018 is George Rozen's "The Twins of Death" Shadow pulp cover painting for the June 1st, 1942 issue (what more can I say?)...

And there you have it!

Attribution for screen wizardry: Flee-Marquette (image circa 2014)
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Rush! The Canadian Cream!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if I bought 10 items all year. I did... barely. It's nothing all that earth shattering.

In no particular order..

Post 7 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos - were all of those already slabbed when you got them?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
@drchaos - were all of those already slabbed when you got them?

Yes, all of them were slabbed.

I bought most of them at auction but haggled with a local dealer for the TTA 27.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I am a big Dell Otto fan and finally got most of my covers signed are graded this year.Just a few more than 10.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
I am a big Dell Otto fan and finally got most of my covers signed are graded this year.Just a few more than 10.

wish I knew you loved his art...I just sold most of my books...let me know if you're in the market still, because I'll be letting go of the rest this year (although you probably have them all )
Post 11 IP   flag post
@comicsforme Wow! You really did well with the grades on those books.

I gave Trinity Comics 13 books for Dell'Otto and 45 books for Mattina that are getting signed in Europe this month.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thats a lot of Mattina.Hope thay come back graet.I love his art to.
Post 13 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
@comicsforme...here's a shot of the 23 variant (only one I have pics of right now)
Post 15 IP   flag post
Sweet.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
#10 WDCS #61

#9 Batman #251

#8 Incredible Hulk #5

#7 FF #52

#6 Original Cover Art prelim Mike Mayhew Vampirella Roses for the Dead

#5 Batman #139

#4 WDCS #159

#3 Batman #232

#2 OA Alan Quah Zombie 22" * 17" - also received a nice card

#1 JIM #83

Post 17 IP   flag post
@poka...sweet stuff ..love the personalized sketch man..very cool...
@comicsforme...these are super quick pics (the mrs is waiting in the car but she knows my comics come first and I accept I'll be on the couch tonight )...but here are most of what I have left for him and some raws . my apologies on the glare but took these in less than 30 secs somewhere

Post 18 IP   flag post
and @poka...I had my 251 in 9.2...it got ruined and Ive re-subbed it expecting a 5.5...but that book of yours in on my short list so let me know if you ever plan on letting it go (in the spirit of Christmas and all that )
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
and @poka...I had my 251 in 9.2...it got ruined and Ive re-subbed it expecting a 5.5...but that book of yours in on my short list so let me know if you ever plan on letting it go (in the spirit of Christmas and all that )

Sorry to hear. I have 3 of them but this one is the best of them so for now it is a keeper
Post 20 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher

Sorry to hear. I have 3 of them but this one is the best of them so for now it is a keeper

Three! Keld, we need to talk!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Only ten? Boy, it’s been a pretty good year for acquisitions. Crossed a few more X-Men and ASM’s off my lists, and picked up a few other nice items. I was only able to obtain these thanks to help from my fellow CBCS forum friends and acquaintances (either directly or indirectly).

A few X-Men (Note: For whatever reason, it took me forever to pick up a #9. Then in a span of about two months, I ended up with 3 copies! This one was sent in for grading to CBCS, one copy was included in a trade for one of the ASM, and the other is sitting in a Mylite waiting to see what grade the first one gets):

Some ASMs:

I could easily add a few more Spideys, but I will keep this at 10. This last one was a book that I always liked, and when a friend said it was available, I had to have it (thanks RF).

Post 22 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

Post 23 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user

no particular order. sold the NM 98 and NYX to a couple boardies
Post 24 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This past year, I mostly concentrated on foreign editions. The Conan is the only exception shown here, but I HAD to include it in my favorites!!

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Not too many purchases this year, but there were some additions to my collection this year that I’ve been chasing for years. There are only nine. Unless you count the first one as 10-8.

The Spidey 2099 ToyBiz variant was a cool one.

Getting my TTA 44 signed by Stan and slabbed was awesome. I only expected a 2.0, so even a 2.5 was welcome.

I’ve wanted this first appearance Iron Man statue from Bowen for a long time. Now to get the TOS 39 to go with it.

An 8.0 or better ‘Underdog’ #1 has been on my list for a long time. The White pages on this one was just icing on the cake.

Getting this newsie back at 9.8 was a huge surprise!

A big one for me personally. I’ve hunted for a first print of this book in VF or better for several years.

My one big pick-up at SDCC this year was great to add to the collection.

This 1/4 scale Black Widow arrived this week & it’s easily one of my biggest additions this year.

And you’ve seen this one a few times I’m sure. But I picked-up a personal grail this year. The first Black Widow in a rather tough grade!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

could only think of 7 so here they are.....most are self explanatory but the one everyone will question is a large sauropod cervical vert that has been cleaned and prepped.....or in simpler terms a large neck bone from a long necked Jurassic dinosaur
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
It was a pretty good year for adding to my collection which probably will financially be hard to duplicate in 2019. Here are my acquisitions:

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
That 9.2 GSX 1 would have been enough to make my year, the rest is icing on the cake.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601440 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?