Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Graded ASM 800s PSA6867

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
so I submitted some ASM 800s to CGC to see if they would give some slack for Marvel’s poor choice of cover paper and binding method.

the answer is yes - all books came back as 9.6-9.8. those are books which normally would be 9.4-9.6 so seems CGC is given about 1 grade point slack.

don’t know about CBCS - but hope the same will apply
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't picked up any Spidey 800's, but back when the 700's came out, CGC let many of the corner defects slide as 9.8's. Sounds like they are repeating the loose grading scale.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
But if it’s marvels fault or someone else’s fault. If it was because of bad paper or poor handling I don’t believe any book should be given “slack” when graded. If so it is kind of ruing the reputation of grading companies precise grade scales. I don’persanlly agree with that but oh well. That’s just me
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
But if it’s marvels fault or someone else’s fault. If it was because of bad paper or poor handling I don’t believe any book should be given “slack” when graded. If so it is kind of ruing the reputation of grading companies precise grade scales. I Don’t personally agree with that but oh well. That’s just me
100% agree.. A defect is a defect and should be graded accordingly.. If its universal because it occurred in production or result of age of the book or whatever then there's a lower ceiling set for scores and any 9.8 that do slip through will be rightly regarded and sought after as they should be.

I've said before, it makes a mockery of the concept of impartial grading imo

Perhaps a two number system is required.. Grade after common manufacturing or aging defects are considered and actual grade that hits any and all imperfections by the book the same way.
Post 4 IP   flag post
DocBrown bought 105. There were no 9.8s among them

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/6462/page/1/asm-800-readers-thoughts-spoilers/

I had 30. No 9.8s either.

Might not be representative but pretty good indication that they all had corner spine issues due to cover material / binding method.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
all books came back as 9.6-9.8.

Quote:

I'm confused.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
all books came back as 9.6-9.8.

Quote:

I'm confused.

under normal circumstances - none would be 9.8 - but seems like CGC is taken the production issues into account for this one
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Why didn't you send these to CBCS?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Because they wouldn't know the grade at this point as they would still be in process.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

TAT is too long
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Resale would be much lower, too.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Never had a problem selling a CBCS slab at the same price as a CGC slab. Plus I don't get Newton rings with CBCS.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector chameleoncolors private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Never had a problem selling a CBCS slab at the same price as a CGC slab. Plus I don't get Newton rings with CBCS.

Ugh, yes those dreadful newton rings...
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

That is fugly. I like sturdiness of the CGC slab but those rings take all the starch out of my noodle. Such an eyesore.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
FYI, If CAK was here he would not stand for this maligning of CBCS. He would also reinterate his strong support of both grading companies.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Competition is always good.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Post 18 IP   flag post
598003 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?