Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics ForeignGrading Help Needed

Rusty Staples & Migration = Grade?6776

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This UK reprint of TOS 52 has been on e-bay for ages & the seller finally accepted my offer.

The seller was straightforward about the staples being rusty & you can see rust migration on the cover.

I know these are major flaws, I think Overstreet says either 4.0 or 5.0 are the best possible grade in this situation.

Included is the best pic from the listing. I’ll have it in-hand today or tomorrow.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
What did the comic look like when it arrived? Did you look for or buy any more?

Fantastic and Terrific were two short-run titles from 1967 which reprinted Marvel stories in black and white published by Odhams Press under the Power Comics imprint. The paper used was low grade, not much better than flimsy newsprint including the covers. This coupled with the larger than US comic size means that it is very difficult to find these without tears and folds.

The staples were similarly second rate and rusted very easily. I've been looking for years for copies without the rust and the general consensus is that they are nonexistent without this fault.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It’s the only issue I purchased.

I have to look it over again, but it looked good aside from the rust migration.

The front & back covers feel dirty to the touch, though. It definitely needs to be cleaned.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

The front & back covers feel dirty to the touch, though. It definitely needs to be cleaned.

They all feel like that, the cheap paper and ink just turns to "powder" and discolours very easily. I doubt very much whether this type of paper could be cleaned, I wonder if any of our cleaning experts have tried to treat anything similar and what the results were?
Post 4 IP   flag post
So, no second opinions on condition with this sort of rust migration that continues through the book?
Post 5 IP   flag post
It's very difficult to grade these type of comics because of the low paper quality and the fact that it is nigh on impossible to find any without rusting staples, and the "matt" finish means that these cannot be graded on lustre because they don't have any.

Overstreet allows "minor rust" on 6.0 and 5.5 but they are never going to reach these grades because the rust is usually much worse than minor, and the paper quality means that there is always discolouration and often minor chipping.

Even without tears or folds I think that the best one could hope for is 4.5/5.0 probably lower.

If you ever find any with shiny staples then snap them up but I've been looking for such for a long time and never seen any.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I forget, is replacing staples considered restoration or conservation?

Also, are there those that would rather have a 9.0 (paper qualit) copy without staples (i.e. Pages detached to prevent rust migration) or a 4.0 with rusty staples when it comes to rare old comics like this?

Just curious.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Accidentally reposted.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Out of curiosity, I’ll have to include it in my next submission across the street.

The seller claimed it was VF+, fortunately, I knew better. I’m thinking 4.0, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised with anything above that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

I’d have to think it would be restoration to replace staples. I don’t know for sure, just my gut feeling.

Quote:
Also, are there those that would rather have a 9.0 (paper qualit) copy without staples (i.e. Pages detached to prevent rust migration) or a 4.0 with rusty staples when it comes to rare old comics like this?

Im sure some would. Not sure where the majority lands on the issue.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

Just curious.

The problem with replacing the staples are twofold.

First, the paper has degraded to such an extent that there would be little left for new staples to attach to, especially on the covers. Secondly, the new staples would be so obvious and out of place because of the rust stains that have leeched into the surrounding paper.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@00slim said :

"Out of curiosity, I’ll have to include it in my next submission across the street.

The seller claimed it was VF+, fortunately, I knew better. I’m thinking 4.0, but I’ll be pleasantly surprised with anything above that".

I would love to see one of these slabbed. If you do decide to have it encapsulated then please show us.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Redshade Will do. 👍🏼
Post 12 IP   flag post
600736 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?