Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics ForeignWant to Buy

International Comics?6454

Collector AtlasLad67 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have any international comics for sale or trade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
What are you looking for?? Any particular titles, characters or genres?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Superhero and teen titles. Any countries. I'm new to this and starting fresh so almost anything atm
Post 3 IP   flag post
Cool!!! I've been hanging around the fringes of collecting foreigns for a while now. Do you know about the Facebook groups and the magazine website and forum? As for what you are looking for, I do have a Finnish Hulk that I'd let go for $30 shipped in the lower 48 states. I only ship priority mail. And actually, that is lower than what I paid for it. (I actually commented the price on another thread here - LOL) That is because I accidentally put a couple/three dents in the cover. Here is the cover of it. If you are interested, I'll give you more details. It is a 100 page square bound book.

Post 4 IP   flag post
I like it. Am I allowed to give you my email?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Well, that's not exactly a great idea on an open forum. I'll send you a pm. You can go ahead and delete it if you want. I actually copied it. LOL
Post 6 IP   flag post
Oh well lol true
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Is there a market for comic books in a foreign language?
Post 8 IP   flag post
A niche one. I like them
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel

It is a niche market right now. I've been on the fringes for a few years now and I have watched it grow more each year. The hunt for a comic is the draw. This is not mine, but here is a collection of Star Wars #1 comics from around the world. That's how most international comic book collectors do it. They go after a certain issue or character.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Now that's a cool collection!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Yes, there absolutely is. I've been collecting foreign/international editions for about the last 10 years and have seen consistent growth in the number of people buying and selling these books. Part of what got my foot in the door at CBCS is my knowledge about foreign books and wanting to see them properly identified when they're submitted for grading.

Here's a couple of links where anyone who's interested can see and learn more.

clickable text

clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:
Yes, there absolutely is. I've been collecting foreign/international editions for about the last 10 years and have seen consistent growth in the number of people buying and selling these books. Part of what got my foot in the door at CBCS is my knowledge about foreign books and wanting to see them properly identified when they're submitted for grading.

Here's a couple of links where anyone who's interested can see and learn more.

clickable text

clickable text

Tim, Thank you for this. Wow!! very cool!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Rafel Fair warning... it's one giant can of worms to open.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I'm starting to get more into them as it's a cheaper way to get unique covers or covers you can't afford.

Post 15 IP   flag post
And if anyone is interested in Captain America International comics, check out this site!!!

Ken Worthing
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Darkga That's a nicely done label on that book. I wonder who did that. Oh wait...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user

Would these count in that "niche" market? I picked these up about 25 years ago (don't remember where)and thought it was a cool novelty and cheap too. The stories are in B&W and issued by Mundi-Comics which I understand is a Publisher in Spain.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
@Darkga That's a nicely done label on that book. I wonder who did that. Oh wait...

Wait you did the write-up for this label? I'm assuming that I was the first one to submit one of these?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@rejaak

Here is another:

Post 20 IP   flag post
@rejaak Those are EXACTLY what this is all about!!! I especially like the Invaders comic!! Nice score!!

@Darkga Sweet books!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
My copies of the rare Mexican variant of "Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story" a historical Silver Age book that was important to the Civil Rights movement. Click the link for the history: clickable text

Post 22 IP   flag post
Here is the set I am chasing right now. They are all editions of Red Sonja #1. The Spanish one is the most unique. The cover was done by a Spanish artist named Rafael Lopez Espi. This is not to scale as I don't have all of these in my possession ... yet!!!

edit: I had the UK and Australian labels mixed up on the first picture.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Wait? Are we declaring the glories of foreign editions? Now I know it might be considered a bit juvenile, but I tend to collect these amazing books into sets.... Foreign Comic Collector Magazine has been singing the praises of these books for a while. Tim, the CBCS foreign expert happens to be one of the founders of said magazine. And a damn good editor I might say....

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I’m also looking for Comics in other languages. More specifically Hindu. I remember the was a spider man from India comic. I’d love to find it in Hindu.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
I’m also looking for Comics in other languages. More specifically Hindu. I remember the was a spider man from India comic. I’d love to find it in Hindu.

Yup they exist for sure, can be tough to source though..... here is one of mine!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Here is the set I am chasing right now. They are all editions of Red Sonja #1. The Spanish one is the most unique. The cover was done by a Spanish artist named Rafael Lopez Espi. This is not to scale as I don't have all of these in my possession ... yet!!!

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicia stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

I don't think that this was ever reprinted in the UK but had it been then it would be as easily identified as the other reprints that you show with different titles and layouts and publisher/ printer details that would indicate that it was produced in the UK and would have had UK ads and editorial.

The collections you show are however very impressive.

From the GCD :Quote:

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicias stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

I don't think that this was ever reprinted in the UK but had it been then it would be as easily identified as the other reprints that you show with different titles and layouts and publisher/ printer details that would indicate that it was produced in the UK and would have had UK ads and editorial.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicia stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

The collections you show are however very impressive.

From the GCD :Quote:

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicias stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

Nope, it wasn't printed in the UK. And you are correct it is a true UK foreign variant. All that being said, a UK edition it still is as it wasn't meant for the US market. So simplifying it to UK is still acceptable nomenclature in my humble opinion....
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Redshade You are correct. It is technically a variant printed by Marvel. It was printed at the same time as the US edition, only with a different cover. However, since it was published for distribution in the UK, it is quite simpler to call it an UK edition.

And Define999 just beat me to it!! LOL
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade

Just FYI - calling foreign editions of American comics "reprints" is not entirely accurate. If the printer took the entirety of the comic and just switched covers, I could see an argument for saying that. However, when that is done with a novel, the literary world calls it an "edition". When the entire comic needs to be translated - it is no longer a reprint. If that were the case, than any English language Holy Bible is a reprint. If you honestly feel that is accurate, you are in the minority and you are not using commonly accepted terminology. Regardless, calling a foreign comic a "reprint", especially one that has been translated, is erroneous. "Edition" is the term I like best, as that is what the literary world calls it.

In fact, this is from the Wikipedia article on "reprint".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In book publishing, if a reprint has been revised from an earlier version, it is usually referred to as a new edition rather than a reprint.

So, technically, a comic from another publisher who changes the cover would be considered an edition and not a reprint.

Wiki reprint article

Here is the definition of "edition" from AbeBooks' Glossary of Book Terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edition
All the copies of a book printed from the same plates or typesetting. Additions, changes and revisions are made with each new edition.

AbeBooks' Glossary
Post 30 IP   flag post
596790 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?