Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics ForeignWant to Buy

International Comics?6454

Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniofett
I’m also looking for Comics in other languages. More specifically Hindu. I remember the was a spider man from India comic. I’d love to find it in Hindu.

Yup they exist for sure, can be tough to source though..... here is one of mine!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Here is the set I am chasing right now. They are all editions of Red Sonja #1. The Spanish one is the most unique. The cover was done by a Spanish artist named Rafael Lopez Espi. This is not to scale as I don't have all of these in my possession ... yet!!!

edit: I had the UK and Australian labels mixed up on the first picture.

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicia stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

I don't think that this was ever reprinted in the UK but had it been then it would be as easily identified as the other reprints that you show with different titles and layouts and publisher/ printer details that would indicate that it was produced in the UK and would have had UK ads and editorial.

The collections you show are however very impressive.

From the GCD :Quote:
Here is the set I am chasing right now. They are all editions of Red Sonja #1. The Spanish one is the most unique. The cover was done by a Spanish artist named Rafael Lopez Espi. This is not to scale as I don't have all of these in my possession ... yet!!!

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicias stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

I don't think that this was ever reprinted in the UK but had it been then it would be as easily identified as the other reprints that you show with different titles and layouts and publisher/ printer details that would indicate that it was produced in the UK and would have had UK ads and editorial.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicia stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

The collections you show are however very impressive.

From the GCD :Quote:

I hope you don't mind my pointing out that the comic you have marked as a UK issue is, in fact, a US produced pence variant with all the same indicias stating that it was published and printed in the US with all the US editorial and advertisements.

Nope, it wasn't printed in the UK. And you are correct it is a true UK foreign variant. All that being said, a UK edition it still is as it wasn't meant for the US market. So simplifying it to UK is still acceptable nomenclature in my humble opinion....
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Redshade You are correct. It is technically a variant printed by Marvel. It was printed at the same time as the US edition, only with a different cover. However, since it was published for distribution in the UK, it is quite simpler to call it an UK edition.

And Define999 just beat me to it!! LOL
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade

Just FYI - calling foreign editions of American comics "reprints" is not entirely accurate. If the printer took the entirety of the comic and just switched covers, I could see an argument for saying that. However, when that is done with a novel, the literary world calls it an "edition". When the entire comic needs to be translated - it is no longer a reprint. If that were the case, than any English language Holy Bible is a reprint. If you honestly feel that is accurate, you are in the minority and you are not using commonly accepted terminology. Regardless, calling a foreign comic a "reprint", especially one that has been translated, is erroneous. "Edition" is the term I like best, as that is what the literary world calls it.

In fact, this is from the Wikipedia article on "reprint".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In book publishing, if a reprint has been revised from an earlier version, it is usually referred to as a new edition rather than a reprint.

So, technically, a comic from another publisher who changes the cover would be considered an edition and not a reprint.

Wiki reprint article

Here is the definition of "edition" from AbeBooks' Glossary of Book Terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edition
All the copies of a book printed from the same plates or typesetting. Additions, changes and revisions are made with each new edition.

AbeBooks' Glossary
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

I don't really want to fall out about semantics especially as I was using the term rather loosely and in a non-technical sense.

I merely just wanted to point out the difference between a foreign reprint/edition and a variant edition.

I wanted to point out that a foreign reprint will be easily identified as such even when reprinted in English.

Post 24 above shows a lot of foreign editions of AS-M 129, there were no pence variants of this edition and the UK reprint is easily discerned as such because as stated above the titles, blurbs and layouts are all different (even had they not published it in landscape format and badly traced and moved the Punisher,(lol).

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga I didn't realize that foreign editions can be graded. i wonder if CBCS will grade them once they start grading magazine size books?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejaak
@Darkga I didn't realize that foreign editions can be graded. i wonder if CBCS will grade them once they start grading magazine size books?

Yes, both CGC and CBCS will grade foreign books with CBCS's only limitation being books that are bigger than their comic slabs. That's why I had to have CGC grade that Spanish Fantastic Four; it was larger than a CBCS slab would hold.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O - So you’re telling me Red Sonja is a blonde in Spain?!
Post 34 IP   flag post
@esaravo LOL!!! Yep!!! She was a blonde for the first 8 of 11 issues published by Vertice in Spain!! Here is a site where you can see all the covers. Just click on the arrows on top to page through!!

Vertice Red Sonja
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
@Darkga That's a nicely done label on that book. I wonder who did that. Oh wait...

Wait you did the write-up for this label? I'm assuming that I was the first one to submit one of these?
Yep, I do pretty much all of the labels on the foreign books submitted to CBCS. Some of the more modern stuff is handled by Jim Noble because we notate on the back of the label if the cover that's used doesn't match the interior content and he's far more familiar with modern variants.

For the record, the Martin Luther King book is a Spanish language edition but it's not from Mexico or Spain.

And... I see all this talk about foreign books caught the attention of my good friend Define999. It's nice to see you poke your head up out of that hole you've been hiding in!
Post 36 IP   flag post
596799 36 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?