Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

Official Foreign Comics thread64

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

This is back cover to the Black Hawk 24
printed in 1948
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Prior to 1962. American comic books were not distributed to Australia. First books were Amazing Spiderman around issue 7. Before that only original Australian drawn books were sold. Or reprints of American books. Sometimes only 6 months from when they were originally printed in the states.
these reprints had newspaper covers and had the story finish on the back covers and a lot did not have any ads in them.
And the print runs were very small compared to U.S print runs when you take into account the population of Australia
Post 27 IP   flag post

Inside of Australian published Blackhawk 24
With Australian reprints the cover is newsprint. And the interior is black and white
Post 28 IP   flag post

Another interior photo of Blackhawk 24
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user
From Les Editions Heritage

Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Here's one of the crown jewels from my collection. The Mexican edition of House of Secrets #81, Bronze Age Neal Adams at it's finest!

Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatComicsByCG
Here is my 1st contribution. So proud to own this beauty!

Very nice. La prensa are very rare in this high grade. You might have best copy known

Thats my boy Charles! Yes, I am pretty sure this is the nicest copy seen. Its always possible some are hiding in collections in Mexico. BUt, either way I see this book sitting at the top of the heap for a while!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Prior to 1962. American comic books were not distributed to Australia. First books were Amazing Spiderman around issue 7. Before that only original Australian drawn books were sold. Or reprints of American books. Sometimes only 6 months from when they were originally printed in the states.
these reprints had newspaper covers and had the story finish on the back covers and a lot did not have any ads in them.
And the print runs were very small compared to U.S print runs when you take into account the population of Australia

Awesome Blackhawk book you got there! The comic history of Australia is fascinating my friend. So much to learn....

Oh and FYI, at least amongst a certain percentage of us, we have started referring to these books as "editions". More similar to the way books are classified. "Reprint" has a negative connotation in our hobby and even though technically true doesn't do most foreign editions justice. Make sense?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Here's one of the crown jewels from my collection. The Mexican edition of House of Secrets #81, Bronze Age Neal Adams at it's finest!

Oh oh! A Palacio book? Its beautiful....
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouet
From Les Editions Heritage

High grade like always my friend! Whatever you do bro, do not spill a bowl of poutine on it!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I love the Relatos fabulosos series you can get some Science fiction covers , Atom books , Aquaman books , house of secrets books what else?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Here´s my rarest Relatos Fabulosos book its a low grade Aquaman 1st Black Manta

Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijael
Here´s my rarest Relatos Fabulosos book its a low grade Aquaman 1st Black Manta

Sweet book Mijael!!!! Never seen that Novaro before!
Post 38 IP   flag post
One aspect of foreign collecting that we haven't shown in great detail yet is set building. Building a set essentially means having to find as many foreign editions of a certain issue as possible. The bigger and more varied the books the better the set! This process can be complicated, expensive, span great amounts of time, and can be downright frustrating. One of the most important aspects to this collecting style is education. You cant collect what you don't know exists…. LOL Its a mantra we have used in the niche for a long time. So educating yourself in a set is key to being able to find the books. Some sets in the niche are notoriously difficult, others not so much. But, one thing for sure….. when seeing a huge set for the first time it is truly a sight to behold. I like to think of it as some sort of hobby hacking…. many of these books were printed pre-internet when the world was a much bigger place. Globalization as a result of trade policies/technology have shrunk said world. A big foreign set is a symbol of this interconnected world. Most of these sets would be practically impossible to build before the advent of new technologies and trade policy. Why a hobby hack you might ask? Because most if not all of these foreign editions were never really meant to exist in the same space. An edition printed for the Arabic speaking world and another from Brazil were never meant to reside in the same space except as maybe an anomaly. These 2 books as an example, might as well have been on different planets back in the day. Now we as foreign hunters seek them out like big game trophy hunters of old and force them into one tiny spot on the globe. Set building is a brave new world for those of us who've tired a bit from traditional collecting. And don't even get me started on global runs. Ill let Tim talk about that crazy ass thing..

Its small but this set is notoriously difficult! I am still missing a few tough books

Post 39 IP   flag post
nice books you have there. very interesting foreign editions
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
nice books you have there. very interesting foreign editions

Thanks! Its a sickness, and one I have successfully helped transmit to some otherwise healthy individuals! HA

edit... "interesting foreign editions" I just saw what ya did there! LOL Awesome!!!!!!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Some 50's Australian Bugs Bunny Comics

Post 42 IP   flag post
Love em!!!!! Look pretty darn well conditioned too....
Post 43 IP   flag post
@Define999 Thanks! I love that the no.6 is a 'funny animal' bondage cover, with Bugs sharpening a razor to boot!
Post 44 IP   flag post
nice books.8 penny books.published in early 1950s.Love those golden age books. very rare
Post 45 IP   flag post
@southerncross Thanks. I have a few more i will get around to posting. There's a 50's Brazilian Looney Tunes Christmas cover i want that features practically all the Warners cartoon legends on a sleigh. There's a copy on the Brazilian site equivalent to eBay but i don't know how secure it is in reference to inputting credit card info and shipping so i haven't 'bit'. Any feedback? Also have some Brazilian Super hero variants from the GA. The Foreign Market has some real gems out there across all comic ages. Really admiring some of the books posted here so far.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
@southerncross Thanks. I have a few more i will get around to posting. There's a 50's Brazilian Looney Tunes Christmas cover i want that features practically all the Warners cartoon legends on a sleigh. There's a copy on the Brazilian site equivalent to eBay but i don't know how secure it is in reference to inputting credit card info and shipping so i haven't 'bit'. Any feedback? Also have some Brazilian Super hero variants from the GA. The Foreign Market has some real gems out there across all comic ages. Really admiring some of the books posted here so far.

Yes, you cannot use Mercado Brazil unless for the most part you are in South America. THere are ways around it... but best bet is to use a contact to get what you want thru Mercado Brazil. I have such a contact. PM me....
Post 47 IP   flag post
Thanks to my good buddy Trent, the king of Spawn, I recently received this Spawn #1 Thai edition. Guess what? The damn thing has a dust cover and below it is a super cool sepia/magenta toned version of the iconic cover! Holy moly I wasn't expecting that.....

Post 48 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 49 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak

Love the Alan Class TOS 39!!!!!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Rarity is a big reason we foreign nuts do what we do. And it doesn't get more rare than South African Spidermans! The SA Supercomix Spiderman 164(SA Spiderman #19) is a neat book. Definitely rough around the edges, and I cant remember if it still has the poster or not? But, this book is probably in the top 10% percent range of rare books in my collection. South African stuff is very tough to come by. As a Spidey fan I am tickled I own this thing….

Do you like Italian beauties? So do I...

Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Define999
Quote:

Oh oh! A Palacio book? Its beautiful....
Of course it's a Palacio, it's got Adams art and I own it. lol
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector GreatComicsByCG private msg quote post Address this user
This is my Canadian "White" Congo #17. This was a 3 issue series of which I have only seen 1 of the other issues. This copy of #17 is the only copy I have ever seen. I fell in love with this "Bakerish" cover and just had to have it. I have been told that this issue may be very rare and there may be very little copies in existance. If any of our Canadian experts know I would love to know. I am guessing this is probably the highest grade copy known?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatComicsByCG
This is my Canadian "White" Congo #17. This was a 3 issue series of which I have only seen 1 of the other issues. This copy of #17 is the only copy I have ever seen. I fell in love with this "Bakerish" cover and just had to have it. I have been told that this issue may be very rare and there may be very little copies in existance. If any of our Canadian experts know I would love to know. I am guessing this is probably the highest grade copy known?

Just show you copy to a Canadian White collector I know in Montreal. He told me it's not a Canadian White (Canadian white have no color inside). It's a after war Canadian serie (cover) with USA stories inside. The inside varies for the same issue. He have this copy (3.0 condition) with inside story from Zoot. But he told me this comic is very rare
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector GreatComicsByCG private msg quote post Address this user
Ok I thought if the inside covers were white (blank) then it was a "White". Learn something new every day! Thanks!
Post 55 IP   flag post
598059 462 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?