Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

Official Foreign Comics thread64

Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Here's a beautiful copy of Los Vengadores #4 (La Prensa Mexican edition of Avengers #6). This particular edition is dated October 31, 1965, about one and a half years after the original American edition was published which is pretty typical of these Mexican editions.
I particularly like the ad for the Fantastic Four. Was the English version of that ad in the American edition or is it unique to this Mexican edition? I don't have an Avengers #6 to check it against.

Very cool! Early Prensas this nice are a sight to behold....
Post 326 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Got these in a while back, just got them scanned & on my site recently. Kraven's Last Hunt, from Mexico. They condensed it into 3 issues, I'm a little bummed they didn't use the cover for Web of Spider-Man #32 though, it's one of my favorite Zeck covers.

Post 327 IP   flag post
And if that doesn't spark some conversation here maybe this will...

The Editorial Novaro editions of All-Star Western #10 & 11. Both are really nice copies. Both of them come from an original owner collection in Mexico City. To the best of my knowledge the #10 is still the only copy anyone has been able to turn up. I was fortunate enough to pick it up about 5 or 6 years ago.

Post 328 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Great copies, Tim. Is Hopalong Cassidy still popular in Mexico? I used to have a few westerns from the 1950's that included him, Lash LaRue, Gene Autry, and John Wayne.
Post 329 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Great copies, Tim. Is Hopalong Cassidy still popular in Mexico? I used to have a few westerns from the 1950's that included him, Lash LaRue, Gene Autry, and John Wayne.
While Novaro kept publishing under the title of Hopalong Cassidy the feature changed over to the western material DC had running (Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, El Diablo). I have most of the All Star Western run, 3 of the 7 Bat Lash issues (along with Showcase #76) and a good amount of the Weird Western Tales issues that were printed. There's a few that seem to be readily available and others that I haven't seen a single copy of as of yet.

I'm not sure if westerns are still popular in Mexico & South America. I do see them for sale quite often when I'm hunting for books though.
Post 330 IP   flag post

Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
When we submit our foreign comics (Foreign Editions) that are key issues for grading, do CBCS & CGC still rightfully note them as "1st appearance of.." with just a note that it's a Foreign Edition?
Post 331 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I believe 1st prints of foreign editions are not considered reprints. The label will still say 1st appearance of blah, blah, blah; but then say Mexican Edition, Italian Edition and so on. There may be other considerations that come into play so maybe someone from CBCS can shed a little more light on this.
Post 332 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
Editions is the correct nomenclature for Foreign Comics. Calling them Reprints is not correct. CGC call them Reprints (wrongly), CBCS call them Foreign Editions. Calling @TimBildhauser
Post 333 IP   flag post
The way labeling for foreign books is handled at CBCS is this:

The 1st time a book is printed in a country it will be given all the same credits that it's American counterpart gets. They are editions, not reprints. There are more instances than I can count where changes were made artistically to the covers & interiors (possibly story as well). I know there are those that would disagree with this line of thinking but being that the vast majority of them don't collect these books anyway can't seem to bring myself to care all too much.

If that same book is printed in that same country again by the same or another publisher it gets reprint credits.
Post 334 IP   flag post
Here's #29, one of the complete La Prensa Mexican run of Capitan America's which will be heading CBCS' way sometime this year ..

Post 335 IP   flag post
.. here's the Brazilian Dois Super-Herois Homem De Ferro E Capitao America #32 ..

Post 336 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings from Ireland. I've been on vacation in Dublin for the last few days, but I have also been trying to track down some British editions.

Action Comics #521 - First Vixen

Post 337 IP   flag post
Quote:
Greetings from Ireland. I've been on vacation in Dublin for the last few days, but I have also been trying to track down some British editions.

Action Comics #521 - First Vixen

!st appearance of Vixen, nice! I've got a copy of this one from Colombia.
Post 338 IP   flag post
Super Spider-Man #256 January 4, 1978 (a magazine-sized black and white comic that came out weekly)

Post 339 IP   flag post
Spider-Man Comics Weekly #72 June 29, 1974

Post 340 IP   flag post
Spider-Man Comics Weekly #57 March 16, 1974

Post 341 IP   flag post
And last, but not least, Spider-Man Comics Weekly #44 December 15, 1973 - reprints ASM #50, the 1st Kingpin.

Post 342 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Are those British? Looks like they jazzed up the artwork and coloring for the covers on these editions. Very nice.
Post 343 IP   flag post
These are all British editions. The coloring doesn't always exactly match the original covers.
Post 344 IP   flag post
Picked up some more British Spideys today. This issue reprints ASM #175.

Post 345 IP   flag post
Reprints ASM #79 (Note that Spidey and not PP is thrown out of the window)

Post 346 IP   flag post
Reprints ASM #78 - 1st Prowler

Post 347 IP   flag post
Reprints ASM #69

Post 348 IP   flag post
Reprints ASM #67 with a different cover (Note: also includes first appearance of Black Widow from TOS #52)

Post 349 IP   flag post
Reprints ASM #61 with a different cover

Post 350 IP   flag post
And last one today, reprints ASM #60 with different cover (Note: this one has Gwen on it, instead of the issue I just posted)

Post 351 IP   flag post
Loving those Spider-Man comics. I used to collect 'The Mighty World of Marvel' weeklies back in the day, but Spidey slipped through my net
Post 352 IP   flag post
Quote:
And last, but not least, Spider-Man Comics Weekly #44 December 15, 1973 - reprints ASM #50, the 1st Kingpin.

Super dig this one... need to nab one of these eventually for my Spidey 50 set! Great books all!
Post 353 IP   flag post
The Greek Crow series by Metal Comics is pretty darn cool. Probably the toughest foreign editions of this series we know of to date. According to some research we think 12 foreign printings were done. So far we know of the Greek, French, Italian and Spanish for sure. We are searching furiously for a Japanese and despite what we think might be a Manga version we found... haven't had any luck finding it. With the Japanese obsession with honor and revenge, along with cult movie status the idea is a Japanese edition would be very possible. But alas no luck as of yet.... anyways enjoy the pics! I love talking to James when I see him at shows and hope to take this book to show him somewheres soon... I bet he would get a kick out of it.....

I think I am going to be building a foreign set of #1. :cloud9:
Post 354 IP   flag post
And why the hell not... A Mexican edition of the Famous Funnies 213. Altered cover is pretty cool....

Post 355 IP   flag post
597936 462 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?