Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

Official Foreign Comics thread64

Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Weird Western Tales #12- Filipino, National Bookstore! Its rare to find these books at all much less in this condition...

Post 301 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidone
Very scarce G.I. Joe 1 from Greece.
Yojoe.com has a impressive gallery of obscure foreign G.I. Joe books but they do not have this one documented.

Heck yea! This is an amazing book! Only one I have seen thats made its way to America.
Post 302 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Define999
Weird Western Tales #12- Filipino, National Bookstore! Its rare to find these books at all much less in this condition...

That IS pretty sharp, considering. Any idea what kind of print run these books had?
Post 303 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
That IS pretty sharp, considering. Any idea what kind of print run these books had?

Ahhh shoot thats complicated… we all have theories. Just in general if your interested in the Philippines editions…. I will re-use the post I wrote for facebook concerning this issue and then add some.

The Weird Western #12 National Bookstore, Filipino edition is a real gem for multiple reasons. Of course its the 3rd Jonah Hex and first Weird Western… but its mega rarity that makes this book so special. First a little backstory on what a Philippines Bookstore edition is. There are 3 major bookstores in the Philippines that reprinted both DC, Marvel, and other American publishers material. National Bookstore, GoodWill Bookstore, and Alemar which was the smallest of the three I think. These editions are in English and not Tagalog, which is the Filipino language. And, most of the time the covers had very minimal changes to them with some exceptions. Most DC National Bookstores had pricing removed. You will notice the DC circle is blank. Also some text has been removed from the spine of the Weird Western. Other than that there doesn't seem to be much change. Until, you get to the back! Thats when the full house ad makes it damn clear you are not dealing with your standard DC. Because of this we think many bookstore editions are hidden in comic shops around the world and in the US. Stashed away in comic shop backstock like gems waiting to be found. These books are extremely rare! In fact this book that I recently received is only the 3rd example of this issue we have ever seen. The other two are on the island. One is part of a comic binding, and the other single copy with a friend. This book not only being the nicest example known at this point in time is also the only one I know of here in the states.

Now print runs…. the bookstore books would have been printed for sale in the bookstores themselves. And, we think, possibly for other distributors on the island. Those would have been for the sidewalk corner magazine sellers. The reason I say that is some Filipino collectors remember exclusively finding these at magazine street vendors around the Philippines. Now the question is did the print runs account for these other outlets? Or was the magazine venders stock a result of overstock/backstock the bookstores themselves then re-sold to the vendors. No one seems to know? But think of this….. National Bookstore had 6 main branches at one time. If only printing for 6 store locations, one could imagine very small, minuscule in fact print runs compared to what we are used to from the Bronze age here in America. How many books would you need to stock 6 bookstores with one issues monthly stock? A thousand divided by 6 comes out to 160 per store per issue. More than enough I would think? THere could have been a lot of smaller branches in each local city I guess? Its also possible they could have printed them for sale in all of south east Asia. Similar to the earlier South east Asia editions that were printed in the Philippines. But, we are not quite sure? Reason concludes print runs as small as a thousand wouldn't be worth even firing up the damn press!!!!! So we really don't know bro, all we do know is Filipino bookstore comics are some of the rarest DC's and Marvels on planet earth! Print runs are also just one part of the equation… I am not even getting into the cultural reasons these books are rare.

2nd bullseye... does a first exist? Dont know, we hope! The condition of this book is sorta the standard condition you see bookstore books in. The best conditioned bookstore books seem to have escaped the island. Wether with military personnel or Filipinos coming to America? The islands conditions of jungle, typhoons, flooding, and average of 80% humidity year round doesn't treat paper well.....

1st Phoenix.. back cover scan is somwhere cant find it at the moment...

Post 304 IP   flag post
Collector warbooks private msg quote post Address this user

Here are some Valiant #1's from the Philippines. Published by MKPI.
Post 305 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:

My guess the numbers may be even smaller. I visited the Psicom warehouse/printing shop last week. Psicom published Marvel and DC comics in the 2000-2012 time period. The years are a rough estimate. They may have started earlier. I spoke to the lead guy there and he mentioned print runs of 1000 on the Psicom. I may have misunderstood him thru translation difficulties but he definately said print runs of 1000. Useful information in ascertaining print runs for the other bookstores decades earlier. I can't imagine them printing thousands and thousands of copies with poverty was where it was back then.
Post 306 IP   flag post
Quote:

I would have sworn my copy was a Goodwill not a National Book Store. I don't have access to the book right now.
Post 307 IP   flag post

Philippines Universal Records edition.
Post 308 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
@Define999 Very informative, thank you.
My mother was born in the Philippines and moved to the states when she was 11. I think I just might look for some of these.
Post 309 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbooks

wow
Post 310 IP   flag post

Some X-Men from the Philippines.
Post 311 IP   flag post
Here are the only Atlas ASM from the Philippines that I have. Does anyone know if any were printed past #4?

Post 312 IP   flag post

Philippines editions!
Post 313 IP   flag post

Some #1's from the Philippines.
Post 314 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
And now for everyone's entertainment... here's a little something to make Matt (Define999) as green as Kermit.

Post 315 IP   flag post
It's too quiet in here today so here's a couple other (semi) recent arrivals. G.I. Joe #21 & 25 from Greece, 1st appearances of Stormshadow & Zartan.

Post 316 IP   flag post
Wow they sure changed the covers in those GI Joes from Greece. Here are a couple Joes from the Philippines

Post 317 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidone
Very scarce G.I. Joe 1 from Greece.
Yojoe.com has a impressive gallery of obscure foreign G.I. Joe books but they do not have this one documented.

I like this. I don't collect foreign books except from the Philippines but this comic brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.
Post 318 IP   flag post
Here are some unusual books from the Philippines. I know most foreign collectors in the US aren't very interested in non-key books. I like all of them from the Philippines.

Post 319 IP   flag post
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before but I also just added roughly 50 new & updated (because of signatures) scans to my site. If you haven't looked lately (or ever) check it out.

www.myforeigncomics.webs.com
Post 320 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a beautiful copy of Los Vengadores #4 (La Prensa Mexican edition of Avengers #6). This particular edition is dated October 31, 1965, about one and a half years after the original American edition was published which is pretty typical of these Mexican editions.
I particularly like the ad for the Fantastic Four. Was the English version of that ad in the American edition or is it unique to this Mexican edition? I don't have an Avengers #6 to check it against.

Post 321 IP   flag post
Quote:

Love the Tagalog Valiants!!!! Awesome books Terry!
Post 322 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My guess the numbers may be even smaller. I visited the Psicom warehouse/printing shop last week. Psicom published Marvel and DC comics in the 2000-2012 time period. The years are a rough estimate. They may have started earlier. I spoke to the lead guy there and he mentioned print runs of 1000 on the Psicom. I may have misunderstood him thru translation difficulties but he definately said print runs of 1000. Useful information in ascertaining print runs for the other bookstores decades earlier. I can't imagine them printing thousands and thousands of copies with poverty was where it was back then.

Holy Moly! If true Terry than that is hella small.... I thought you were in the states? Back on the island? Hope all is well!
Post 323 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
And now for everyone's entertainment... here's a little something to make Matt (Define999) as green as Kermit.

Dammit Tim! I am green dammit! But I think you know what my next question will be? What is the Back Goodwill ad on that TEC? Is it a calvacade of comics house ad? Please scan my friend.....
Post 324 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before but I also just added roughly 50 new & updated (because of signatures) scans to my site. If you haven't looked lately (or ever) check it out.

www.myforeigncomics.webs.com

Yes please do look... Tim has an amazing collection!
Post 325 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Here's a beautiful copy of Los Vengadores #4 (La Prensa Mexican edition of Avengers #6). This particular edition is dated October 31, 1965, about one and a half years after the original American edition was published which is pretty typical of these Mexican editions.
I particularly like the ad for the Fantastic Four. Was the English version of that ad in the American edition or is it unique to this Mexican edition? I don't have an Avengers #6 to check it against.

Very cool! Early Prensas this nice are a sight to behold....
Post 326 IP   flag post
Got these in a while back, just got them scanned & on my site recently. Kraven's Last Hunt, from Mexico. They condensed it into 3 issues, I'm a little bummed they didn't use the cover for Web of Spider-Man #32 though, it's one of my favorite Zeck covers.

Post 327 IP   flag post
And if that doesn't spark some conversation here maybe this will...

The Editorial Novaro editions of All-Star Western #10 & 11. Both are really nice copies. Both of them come from an original owner collection in Mexico City. To the best of my knowledge the #10 is still the only copy anyone has been able to turn up. I was fortunate enough to pick it up about 5 or 6 years ago.

Post 328 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Great copies, Tim. Is Hopalong Cassidy still popular in Mexico? I used to have a few westerns from the 1950's that included him, Lash LaRue, Gene Autry, and John Wayne.
Post 329 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Great copies, Tim. Is Hopalong Cassidy still popular in Mexico? I used to have a few westerns from the 1950's that included him, Lash LaRue, Gene Autry, and John Wayne.
While Novaro kept publishing under the title of Hopalong Cassidy the feature changed over to the western material DC had running (Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, El Diablo). I have most of the All Star Western run, 3 of the 7 Bat Lash issues (along with Showcase #76) and a good amount of the Weird Western Tales issues that were printed. There's a few that seem to be readily available and others that I haven't seen a single copy of as of yet.

I'm not sure if westerns are still popular in Mexico & South America. I do see them for sale quite often when I'm hunting for books though.
Post 330 IP   flag post
601278 462 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?