Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

Official Foreign Comics thread64

Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user

Four pager reprint in this issue, Frazetta inks over Williamson! Sharp.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user

Post 277 IP   flag post

Post 278 IP   flag post

Post 279 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouet
Italian

A pig???
Post 280 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulus
Quote:
Italian

A pig???

In fact, this image is coming from Vampirella (Warren) 1972 annual, p.8. Will check if the pig is there on the original this weekend
Post 281 IP   flag post

Post 282 IP   flag post
Collector NScott private msg quote post Address this user
ARGENTINA

Thanks for viewing!

N. Scott Robinson, Ph.D.
sonrob@msn.com
Globo Cómico: Foreign Comics Information Resource

Post 283 IP   flag post
Collector Davidone private msg quote post Address this user
Very scarce G.I. Joe 1 from Greece.
Yojoe.com has a impressive gallery of obscure foreign G.I. Joe books but they do not have this one documented.

Post 284 IP   flag post
Collector NScott private msg quote post Address this user
I have some Joe issues from Slovakia for sale and Argentina if interested?
Post 285 IP   flag post
X-Men 101 from Mexico.

Post 286 IP   flag post
Action Comics 340. First appearance of the Parasite. First edition from Lebanon.
Post 287 IP   flag post
Amazing Spider-Man 129.
First edition from Quebec.

Post 288 IP   flag post
Detective Comics 359. First edition from Lebanon. I may be mistaken but I believe this is the first one to be aquirred in the west.

Post 289 IP   flag post
Batman 227. First edition from Lebanon.

Post 290 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidone
Batman 227. First edition from Lebanon.

Ahhh shit im nerdgasming!
Post 291 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have many foreign copies, but here they are.

Post 292 IP   flag post
And some Italian Flash Gordons from 1976/77.

Post 293 IP   flag post

Post 294 IP   flag post

Post 295 IP   flag post

Post 296 IP   flag post

Post 297 IP   flag post

Post 298 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS

Loving those Italian Flash Gordons! And you cant go wrong with a pence key like that! Great stuff...
Post 299 IP   flag post
Quote:

Stephane, this has to be one of my favorite foreign Vampis of your collection. I think its because the cover art really takes the idea of Vampi and pushes her through the cultural filter of the local Mexican art at the time. Remind me, this is from Mexico right? I love the style, design, the hand, blood, jewels, etc… this cover is absolutely perfect. And any horror fan in his right mind would be a fool not to be looking to acquire this book.
Post 300 IP   flag post
Weird Western Tales #12- Filipino, National Bookstore! Its rare to find these books at all much less in this condition...

Post 301 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidone
Very scarce G.I. Joe 1 from Greece.
Yojoe.com has a impressive gallery of obscure foreign G.I. Joe books but they do not have this one documented.

Heck yea! This is an amazing book! Only one I have seen thats made its way to America.
Post 302 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Define999
Weird Western Tales #12- Filipino, National Bookstore! Its rare to find these books at all much less in this condition...

That IS pretty sharp, considering. Any idea what kind of print run these books had?
Post 303 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
That IS pretty sharp, considering. Any idea what kind of print run these books had?

Ahhh shoot thats complicated… we all have theories. Just in general if your interested in the Philippines editions…. I will re-use the post I wrote for facebook concerning this issue and then add some.

The Weird Western #12 National Bookstore, Filipino edition is a real gem for multiple reasons. Of course its the 3rd Jonah Hex and first Weird Western… but its mega rarity that makes this book so special. First a little backstory on what a Philippines Bookstore edition is. There are 3 major bookstores in the Philippines that reprinted both DC, Marvel, and other American publishers material. National Bookstore, GoodWill Bookstore, and Alemar which was the smallest of the three I think. These editions are in English and not Tagalog, which is the Filipino language. And, most of the time the covers had very minimal changes to them with some exceptions. Most DC National Bookstores had pricing removed. You will notice the DC circle is blank. Also some text has been removed from the spine of the Weird Western. Other than that there doesn't seem to be much change. Until, you get to the back! Thats when the full house ad makes it damn clear you are not dealing with your standard DC. Because of this we think many bookstore editions are hidden in comic shops around the world and in the US. Stashed away in comic shop backstock like gems waiting to be found. These books are extremely rare! In fact this book that I recently received is only the 3rd example of this issue we have ever seen. The other two are on the island. One is part of a comic binding, and the other single copy with a friend. This book not only being the nicest example known at this point in time is also the only one I know of here in the states.

Now print runs…. the bookstore books would have been printed for sale in the bookstores themselves. And, we think, possibly for other distributors on the island. Those would have been for the sidewalk corner magazine sellers. The reason I say that is some Filipino collectors remember exclusively finding these at magazine street vendors around the Philippines. Now the question is did the print runs account for these other outlets? Or was the magazine venders stock a result of overstock/backstock the bookstores themselves then re-sold to the vendors. No one seems to know? But think of this….. National Bookstore had 6 main branches at one time. If only printing for 6 store locations, one could imagine very small, minuscule in fact print runs compared to what we are used to from the Bronze age here in America. How many books would you need to stock 6 bookstores with one issues monthly stock? A thousand divided by 6 comes out to 160 per store per issue. More than enough I would think? THere could have been a lot of smaller branches in each local city I guess? Its also possible they could have printed them for sale in all of south east Asia. Similar to the earlier South east Asia editions that were printed in the Philippines. But, we are not quite sure? Reason concludes print runs as small as a thousand wouldn't be worth even firing up the damn press!!!!! So we really don't know bro, all we do know is Filipino bookstore comics are some of the rarest DC's and Marvels on planet earth! Print runs are also just one part of the equation… I am not even getting into the cultural reasons these books are rare.

2nd bullseye... does a first exist? Dont know, we hope! The condition of this book is sorta the standard condition you see bookstore books in. The best conditioned bookstore books seem to have escaped the island. Wether with military personnel or Filipinos coming to America? The islands conditions of jungle, typhoons, flooding, and average of 80% humidity year round doesn't treat paper well.....

1st Phoenix.. back cover scan is somwhere cant find it at the moment...

Post 304 IP   flag post
Collector warbooks private msg quote post Address this user

Here are some Valiant #1's from the Philippines. Published by MKPI.
Post 305 IP   flag post
601352 462 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?