Comics Foreign

Official Foreign Comics thread64

Collector NScott private msg quote post Address this user
MIS-COLORING

These are all from Yugoslavia.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Collector catrick339 private msg quote post Address this user
Picked this up over the weekend.

Australian, reprints Marvel and Charlton stories.

Post 252 IP   flag post
CBCS Daniel_E private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScott
MIS-COLORING

These are all from Yugoslavia.

These are very cool. When you say mis-coloring it sounds like a mistake. Or was this just artistic license?
Post 253 IP   flag post
Can't really say for certain. We know for sure in the later 1960s when Marvel super hero stories first appeared in Yugoslavia (1967), the color directions were not given with the original art so they did what they wanted. But this occurred into the 1980s even after the colors were correct in preceding issues so it's probably a little of both.

Here's one from Indonesia: original art & story and a Thor without pants! Maybe it's Norse God Indo summer wear??

Post 254 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
Great books guys! Personally I think most coloring changes were done consciously in the sense that without color info they did what they wanted. And even with the right color seps its not like today where a foreign license holder cant fart without Marvel or DC's permission. You have to remember that license holders back then were sorta givin free rein to do whatever they wanted. This was pre-internet and pre-globalization, the stuff the license holders were creating was never supposed to come back to haunt Marvel or DC. All Marvel or DC cared about was that the check cleared. Thats why the Greeks were able to leave the Spidey villain Shockers name a literal dildo in one issue. Who cares its funny right… boy times have changed…. LOL

And thats just the licensed stuff, one of the most interesting areas of the foreign niche are the bootlegged editions. An entire book could be written about the Indonesian bootlegging comic world all by itself!
Post 255 IP   flag post

This is Supercomix Spiderman #4 1978(Spiderman 122).

I have said this before but I think it is worth repeating. South African Supercomix really have to be in our estimation some of the rarest bronze age comics in the world. According to our sources, most kids in SA preferred the American originals to the local output. This bias didn't bode well for these books. Not easy to find in any condition, when you come across any Supercomix they are like a jewel. On top of that posters were included, so finding one intact is even rarer. This book still has the poster of Peter Falk along with the prize winners on the reverse sides attached to the spine. Another interesting aspect I noticed. The publisher kept Bugle editor Robbie Robertson black. Would have been pretty easy to change his skin tone but Republican press didn't. It doesn't seem like any apartheid racial censorship happened in this instance. This is a wonderful aspect to supercomix comic books. Also, on prize winner pages all races our represented wether black, white or any race. All SA kids read these books and joined the many competitions for watches, radios etc. Republican Press appears to be on the right side of history in South Africa and it's a joy to own a few of these books in my collection.

Post 256 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by NScott
Mis-coloring is also quite common! I have numerous examples of Thor and Captain American without pants from multiple countries as well as highly mis-colored characters - you should see the daredevil from Yugoslavia with green shorts and yellow gloves!

This was my thought. I know the reprints that I bought in Greece during the late 70s were notorious for this
Don't make me give you a suspension for calling editions reprints. lol
Post 257 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user

Post 258 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouet

I both love and hate you for all of the gorgeous EH books you have. lol
Post 259 IP   flag post
LOL Sorry about that Tim
Post 260 IP   flag post
Quote:
LOL Sorry about that Tim
You know I've got nothing but love for you my friend! Keep posting those EH beauties.
Post 261 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
This Thread is so endlessly facinating. Learn something and of course SEE something new all the time.
Post 262 IP   flag post
Italian

Post 263 IP   flag post

Post 264 IP   flag post
THAILAND

NEW ZEALAND

Thanks for viewing!

N. Scott Robinson, Ph.D.
sonrob@msn.com
Globo Cómico: Foreign Comics Information Resource

Post 265 IP   flag post

Post 266 IP   flag post

Post 267 IP   flag post

Post 268 IP   flag post
Brazil

Post 269 IP   flag post

Post 270 IP   flag post
Freakin amazing books guys!!!! Keep them coming....

Well you know me, I have another horribly written mini-article for your enjoyment! LOL

So... are you ready to have your mind blown? One of the coolest, most amazingly rare, late bronze age foreigns recently landed in my collection! Basically unknown to most if not all Star Wars foreign edition experts this book barely hit our radar this year. Beyond the Universe Issue #11( ما وراء الكون). The Arabic Star Wars #1 (حرب النجوم) is a killer book for multiple reasons.

The Marvel Star Wars issues could be found within the Beyond the Universe anthology. This series ran for 140 issues total. Up until issue #49 it was mainly superheroes, and various sci-fi titles like Star Wars, Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. After issue 49 Grendizer dominates the run. What makes this series so special though is the publisher. Zuheir Baalbaki was publishing these amazing comics right smack during the middle of the Lebanese civil war! Mr. Baalbaki's publishing company was called Bissat El-Reeh and was based out of Beirut. Bissat El-reeh roughly translates to flying carpet I think? Though pure speculation, we believe the rarity of these issues is due to the steep attrition rate of these books. These comics were born into a wartime environment and thus survival, much less condition, was questionable. I have to thank my 2 friends David Stucky and Ron Rickard for leading the way on researching this book with me. Also, I would like to thank my good friend Henry Matthews for providing insight and much valuable information to me. I have kept this post short and sweet because a lot more research has been done on these amazing books by my buddy and foreign Star Wars expert Ron. I just know a future and more informative (Arabic-Beyond the Universe) post for his blog is being cooked up by him as he continues his research. Here is his must see blog....
http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/

Moving on to the human side, could you imagine printing and translating science fiction war stories while a very real war was happening all around you? I just cant seem to wrap my head around doing this in the middle of the Lebanese civil war. I guess brave human beings must simply live out their lives in as much normalcy as possible when facing harrowing situations. The comics Mr. Zuheir produced during this period must be given a huge amount of respect and admiration. Though many might not know it, Beirut is a jewel of liberal thinking in the Arabic world where many different peoples live and work. With Beirut being a hub of higher learning, education, and publishing, Bissat El-Reeh it appears exemplified this ethic.

Props to David for sourcing this book for me! The condition of this comic is definitely rough. Particularly because it was pulled from a binding so the spine is destroyed. The Beyond the universe comics were often bound by title. We think this might have been done by the publisher at a later date using overstock but we are not quite sure. What we are sure of is it seems many more bound editions survived than individual comics. At least thats how it seems from internet research...

Ask me if I care about this books condition? Not one bit, this book is now in its forever home and it has unseated my SA Supercomix edition as the crown jewel of my Star Wars #1 foreign set.

Post 271 IP   flag post
The Star Wars issue was pulled out of a Ma Waraa Al Koun Mojalad such as this one (#2 - you can tell from the ragged spine on the issue).

This is another issue of Star Wars from the interior.

The hardcover mojalad was published in 2 different editions. The 1st edition has a black back cover.

The 2nd edition has a yellow back cover.

Arabic comics in Lebanon published by Dar Bissāṭ al-Rīḥ were distributed in many parts of the Middle East so despite the wartime publishing, the markets in neighboring Arab countries helped keep business going. You can still find these issues in Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia (probably elsewhere in the Arab world).

Another type of album/tome/volume was a softcover edition that featured 3 issues while the hardcover editions had 10 issues. These collected editions contained the original issues but they were trimmed to fit in the book publishing process. I'm not sure if a softcover album with Star Wars was ever published but it is possible.

Thanks for viewing!

N. Scott Robinson, Ph.D.
sonrob@msn.com
Globo Cómico: Foreign Comics Information Resource

Post 272 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
Beaten-up, ragged, U.K. edition of 'Tales of Suspense' #39. I searched high and low for this '9d' (9 Pence) edition for a loooong time.

The trouble was finding one in an 'affordable' condition (hence, I don't give two-hoots about the stamping on the cover)

I should have this baby in my hands sometime next month.

Cheers!

Post 273 IP   flag post

Post 274 IP   flag post

Post 275 IP   flag post

Four pager reprint in this issue, Frazetta inks over Williamson! Sharp.
Post 276 IP   flag post

Post 277 IP   flag post

Post 278 IP   flag post

Post 279 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR spaulus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Italian

A pig???
Post 280 IP   flag post
601329 462 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?