Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Foreign

Official Foreign Comics thread64

Collector Foxtrot70 private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is intended to discuss and share history, cataloging, and general subjects related to comics published in any foreign country.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings one and all to the foreign section of the CBCS boards. It's been a long time coming but the boards are (finally) up and running!

I have no doubt that many of my comrades from FCC (Foreign Comic Collector) will be on here regularly so if you have any questions about foreign books post them and either myself of one of them will answer as best we can based on what we know.

If you have any foreign books, let's see pics!

Here's a little trinket from my collection to kick things off.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector pouet private msg quote post Address this user
Will try to post 1 comic everyday. 1st one, 1st Batgirl in french

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SardoNumspar private msg quote post Address this user
Tim! Great to see this thread.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SardoNumspar private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my first contribution:

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
There is my boys!!!!!! How bout some foreign Star Wars?

Weekly Shounen Magazine #18, published on April 30 1978, Japan. The holy grail of Japnaese Star Wars(comic at least) arrived at my door recently as a gift by my good buddy Henro and I about cried. This is the very first time Star Wars appears in Japan in comic book form. The release was timed to hit two months before the Japanese movie premiere in June of 1978. Published within Shounen, a hugely popular manga magazine that began its life in the late 50's. It made perfect sense to introduce Japanese readers to this world by way of Weekly Shounen. Japanese usually read/flip pages right to left back to front with the spine on the right similar to Arabic and Hebrew. With this in mind the publisher had a conundrum with how to format the traditional western comic pages. So what happened is interesting… Japanese readers would have to drop their usual way of reading and flip thru towards the middle where the classic Chaykin cover artwork dictated the beginning of the story. Then they would read the pages from left to right back towards the front and what would be their cover which was for all essential purposes completely backwards for them!!!!! Freakin crazy right! Also adding to the coolness is some of the interior paintings and the cover I believe were done by Noriyoshi Ohrai, the famed Japanese illustrator who did many of the Japanese theatrical Star Wars posters. I could be wrong but I think these paintings might be his first published Star Wars work? Either way this book is absolutely amazing and a huge part of foreign Star Wars culture and history. Needless to say this book is now going deep into my collection never to escape.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Define999 private msg quote post Address this user
How about a bangin booty? The Mexican non-canon Spideys are a true sight to behold. Diverging from the American canon storyline right before Gwen Stacy is killed. In this alternate universe Gwen lives and Parker eventually marries her.

Look at Peter, lovingly staring into Gwens beautiful eyes... using that slammingly drawn body as a pillow! HA HA HA Im tellin ya, eventually when hardcore spidey collectors really get wind of the existence of these amazing non-canon books you are gonna see many webheads seeking them out.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector TheLiamSturgess private msg quote post Address this user
Thrilled that the boards are now online!

Here's an example of the the kind of stuff I like...

Post 8 IP   flag post
So it looks like (in this thread) we've got Scott, Josh, Matt and Liam so far. It's good to see all of you here gents. I saw Stepahne & Ken in the other thread, no sign of Tony yet though.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TheLiamSturgess private msg quote post Address this user
Gotta represent, my man! Again, I can't wait until all of us can be in one room at a con, with out newfound CBCS Boards friends. It will be one HELL of a night.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, Tim and Liam!

Here's some Caps from Japan, co-published by Kobunsha and Marvel ..

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiamSturgess
Gotta represent, my man! Again, I can't wait until all of us can be in one room at a con, with out newfound CBCS Boards friends. It will be one HELL of a night.
Indeed it will brother.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Tim any plans to record the panel session?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot70
Matt was looking into possibly having someone help out with that but for the time being I don't know one way or the other if we'll be able to make it happen.

Besides... who wants to listen/watch me babble about funny books in other languages?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:
Matt was looking into possibly having someone help out with that but for the time being I don't know one way or the other if we'll be able to make it happen.

Besides... who wants to listen/watch me babble about funny books in other languages?

me
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:

ME!!!!! And all of the future fans so my finger are crossed. Worst case maybe you or Matt can do a summary for FCC mag #8
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SardoNumspar
Here's my first contribution:

Awesome book and kudos for others in slab thread. Great taste and glad to see a fellow collector sharing passion for this niche.
-Scott
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector GreatComicsByCG private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my 1st contribution. So proud to own this beauty!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Hello fellas !

Post 19 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing special, but always eclectic.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector GreatComicsByCG private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatComicsByCG

wow
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatComicsByCG
Here is my 1st contribution. So proud to own this beauty!

Very nice. La prensa are very rare in this high grade. You might have best copy known
Post 23 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
some Caps from Japan, co-published by Kobunsha and Marvel ..

those covers on those caps just pop out
Post 24 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 25 IP   flag post

This is back cover to the Black Hawk 24
printed in 1948
Post 26 IP   flag post
Prior to 1962. American comic books were not distributed to Australia. First books were Amazing Spiderman around issue 7. Before that only original Australian drawn books were sold. Or reprints of American books. Sometimes only 6 months from when they were originally printed in the states.
these reprints had newspaper covers and had the story finish on the back covers and a lot did not have any ads in them.
And the print runs were very small compared to U.S print runs when you take into account the population of Australia
Post 27 IP   flag post

Inside of Australian published Blackhawk 24
With Australian reprints the cover is newsprint. And the interior is black and white
Post 28 IP   flag post

Another interior photo of Blackhawk 24
Post 29 IP   flag post
From Les Editions Heritage

Post 30 IP   flag post
596795 462 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?