Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Submitting to CBCS at Conventions6012

Collector czarnickolas private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all - going to be submitting in person to CBCS at SVCC this weekend, and wanted to hear from everyone whether or not I should be packing my books in a particular way. i.e. are Mylite 2s and fullbacks ample, or should I also do the two pieces of larger-than-the-book cardboard as reinforcement? I'm not totally sure how the reps get the books back to CBCS HQ and want to make sure I'm packing adequately without going overboard.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@czarnickolas - That sounds fine (God, everyone who works at CBCS must have a lifetime supply of Mylites and fullbacks!). Make sure you print out two copies of your on-line invoice because you need to leave one with your books. I also keep my order together by placing all my bagged and boarded books in an oversize bag (magazine or treasury-sized). The person there will check your invoice to make sure it matches the books. They can also witness signatures for any of the books (also indicate the signatures on your invoice).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@czarnickolas Get them safely to the booth and we'll handle it from there. There's no need to do any prepackaging on them. We have to go through and verify what you're turning in matches the on-line invoice.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Heaven forbid ive even shown up with no online imvoice and they still have retro paper forms ☺
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
@czarnickolas Get them safely to the booth and we'll handle it from there. There's no need to do any prepackaging on them. We have to go through and verify what you're turning in matches the on-line invoice.

So those that mean that you get each and every comic bag and boarded into mylites? If I were to take books raw (which I am of course not doing) would you have bags and boards for them?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnickolas
Hi all - going to be submitting in person to CBCS at SVCC this weekend, and wanted to hear from everyone whether or not I should be packing my books in a particular way. i.e. are Mylite 2s and fullbacks ample, or should I also do the two pieces of larger-than-the-book cardboard as reinforcement? I'm not totally sure how the reps get the books back to CBCS HQ and want to make sure I'm packing adequately without going overboard.

I waas there yesterday and submitted 20 books and today I'll be submitting 116 more. I did the paper work at home to save time. All my books are bagged and boarded. Say "Hi to Mark and Mike" when you see them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
@SpiderTim We don't provide bags and boards. We sometimes have a few spare ones around in the case where someone has a slabbed book they're cracking out to get a signature(s).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector JungleJesse private msg quote post Address this user
This thread totally helped! It's my first time submitting books tomorrow at SVCC and this thread put me at ease.

Thanks!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
I waas there yesterday and submitted 20 books and today I'll be submitting 116 more. I did the paper work at home to save time. All my books are bagged and boarded. Say "Hi to Mark and Mike" when you see them.

That’s a lot of books and a lot of paperwork.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser

So those that mean that you get each and every comic bag and boarded into mylites? If I were to take books raw (which I am of course not doing) would you have bags and boards for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnickolas

This is how I sub books to CBCS and CGC, at cons.

This link has pictured examples of a modern book, for an older era (silver age), you would go a size up in supplies.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4572/page/1/storing-in-top-loader-/#23
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Rafel

Quote:
I was there yesterday and submitted 20 books and today I'll be submitting 116 more. I did the paper work at home to save time. All my books are bagged and boarded. Say "Hi to Mark and Mike" when you see them.

That’s a lot of books and a lot of paperwork.

Yes, yes it is. I created an EXCEL spread sheet. I put them in, had EXCEL put them in order by TITLE and NUMBER, this made it so much easier to do the six pages of paper work. When I got them to the CBCS table all they had to do was add in the FAIR MARKET VALUE. We were done in just more than an hour. Mark (CBCS) was very happy.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
No offense to your method, but what a PITA it must be for the people at CBCS / CGC to remove books from them.

I go with a M2 and a FB and so far so good.

Only had two issues to date and one obviously happened during encapsulation and they gave me FMV and refunded my grading fees as well as shipping.

The other issue happened during on site grading and since I did not have "before" scans I could not prove it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
No offense to your method, but what a PITA it must be for the people at CBCS / CGC to remove books from them.

Only had two issues to date and one obviously happened during encapsulation and they gave me FMV and refunded my grading fees as well as shipping.

The other issue happened during on site grading and since I did not have "before" scans I could not prove it.

They just look at the covers as they do with the other customers and since I have them in alphabetical/ numerical order it's really easy for me to read the grade/prices from the price guide. I've only seen high price books where they go through the pages.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

They just look at the covers as they do with the other customers and since I have them in alphabetical/ numerical order it's really easy for me to read the grade/prices from the price guide. I've only seen high price books where they go through the pages.

Huh?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

How can you be sure that a copper or modern that would have otherwise graded at a 9.8, came back as a 9.6....or a 9.6 came back as a 9.4 or 9.2?

You can't be sure.

It is easy as balls for the graders' to remove the books when books are subbed under the CAK Fully Optimized Submission Of Raw Books To CBCS & CGC System. (Patent Pending)

I use Scotch gift tape, and it literally pops off the Mylite2's when a grader takes the inner bagged/boarded book out of the larger sized bag/board.

This is no different than double boxing books when shipping, the larger bag/board acts as an additional barrier against externally applied pressure.

Scotch gift tape has a different adhesive than regular Scotch tape, it is manufactured to be easily removable than regular scotch tape, but you still have to weaken the portion of the tape that holds the flaps shut......If you take the time to remove the bulk of the adhesive by sticking and removing each piece on your thumb 20 times, it comes off easily from the back of the bag.

Placement of the tape is also crucial e.g. The outer bag gets two pieces of tape, we'll away from the spine and the opposite end of the spine.

Placing the tape around the middle only of the outer bag deflects pressure from the spine and right edge of the book.

I'll post a pic of the back of one of my subs that are ready to go shortly, pictures make this easier to understand.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids It sounds like you could do a video series on packaging, signature prep, basic do’s & dont’s, etc. Might be a useful tool.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yeah, I could do that and wouldn't mind doing that, either.

Definitely don't have the time to make up a video series on those topics now, got Big Apple to prep for next weekend.

But at some point after Big Apple, I'll shoot those up and put them on you tube and post links here.

One thing I will suggest though, far as getting books signed, in to always bring a small piece of sanded down wood , with dulled edges, for the creator/artist/whomever, to place the windowed book on top of while it is being signed.

Tables at conventions are not level and generally banged up.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

How can you be sure that a copper or modern that would have otherwise graded at a 9.8, came back as a 9.6....or a 9.6 came back as a 9.4 or 9.2?

You can't be sure.

It is easy as balls for the graders' to remove the books when books are subbed under the CAK Fully Optimized Submission Of Raw Books To CBCS & CGC System. (Patent Pending)

I use Scotch gift tape, and it literally pops off the Mylite2's when a grader takes the inner bagged/boarded book out of the larger sized bag/board.

This is no different than double boxing books when shipping, the larger bag/board acts as an additional barrier against externally applied pressure.

Scotch gift tape has a different adhesive than regular Scotch tape, it is manufactured to be easily removable than regular scotch tape, but you still have to weaken the portion of the tape that holds the flaps shut......If you take the time to remove the bulk of the adhesive by sticking and removing each piece on your thumb 20 times, it comes off easily from the back of the bag.

Placement of the tape is also crucial e.g. The outer bag gets two pieces of tape, we'll away from the spine and the opposite end of the spine.

Placing the tape around the middle only of the outer bag deflects pressure from the spine and right edge of the book.

I'll post a pic of the back of one of my subs that are ready to go shortly, pictures make this easier to understand.

I'm talking about how many boards you stuff in the bag, it probably makes it very tight.

How can you be sure that your books won't get damaged when they try to extract them from your overkill bag/board method? I mean, how can you be SURE???
Post 18 IP   flag post
Well, yeah....you can't be SURE of anything.

But WRT the bit about them being too tight, you're dead right about that.

I use "recycled" mylite2's on all of my submissions and "recycled" full backs.

Brand new M2's and full backs....you simply cannot fit 3 full backs and a regular (cheapo as in noy not acid free BCW silver age Size board as a space buffer, with the concave side reversed) ....into a standard M2.....you can fit 2 new full backs in a new M2, but 2 full backs IMO is still not as heavy handed as I like to be.

Brand new full backs are usually slightly warped to begin with, because of how they are shrink wrapped.

Brand new M's need to be stretched out, so to speak, by having a comic in them with multiple boards.

So, when I go to bag/board my books after I press them, I have to de-bag 3 books out of my $5 or $10 convention boxes to have 3 fully broken in FB's, per 1 broken in M2. ....and than bag/board the stripped $5 or $10 books into new M2's and new FB's.

It is a huge pain in the ass.

Even when bagging/boarding convention stock, I usually have to stack a case full of full backs on top of one another. Like a 3-4 foot high stack of FB's...with a goddamn short box of comics on top of the 10 packs of shrink wrapped full backs....just to bag/board books into my convention inventory boxes.
Post 19 IP   flag post
598059 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?