Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector onlyhulk23 private msg quote post Address this user
So i kind of want to store my comics in top loaders inside a clear bag as well with out the board. mainly so when i show them you can look at the back also without taking the comic out.

In your opinion would this possible increase the chance of getting damaged?

I know from a stand point of being dropped obviously the top loader will be better as it can take more damage before reaching the comic.

thoughts opinions etc thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
I actually just started doing that myself!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Have they perfected the top loader yet? I have many long card boxes with the smaller "ultra pro 3x4" top loaders with old sports cards. Many have turned a funny gold/orange oil color and some even look like oil residue between the plastic. I 'm not sure they are archival....Ray/RI
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
Have they perfected the top loader yet? I have many long card boxes with the smaller "ultra pro 3x4" top loaders with old sports cards. Many have turned a funny gold/orange oil color and some even look like oil residue between the plastic. I 'm not sure they are archival....Ray/RI

I noticed this as well on the comic book top loaders. Some of my older top loaders have a very noticeable discoloration compared to new top loaders. I usually will put the book in a M2 or M4 without a fullback into the top loader just to be sure.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyhulk23
So i kind of want to store my comics in top loaders inside a clear bag as well with out the board. mainly so when i show them you can look at the back also without taking the comic out.

I know from a stand point of being dropped obviously the top loader will be better as it can take more damage before reaching the comic.

I would never store a book, bagged without a board.

A top loader is not going to guard against spine ticks, without a board, it may even cause spine damage.

A board is intended to support, and essentially, act as a cradle for the spine.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

A top loader is not going to guard against spine ticks, without a board, it may even cause spine damage.

I absolutely second this.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

A toploader is a hell of a lot stiffer than a fullback. I've got some displayed in M2s with no back as well, they can be handled with no worries of bending the spine.

How is this setup possibly going to "cause spine damage"? You're talking roughly .25" thick plastic vs .06" cardboard
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
Can you post a link for the top loaders you are referring to? The top loaders I have do not 'squeeze' the comic like a sports card top loader, which would cause potential damage to my books if they were just bagged.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I would definitely recommend a bag & board combo with toploaders.

I love toploaders, but with a box full of them resting against each other, they do give enough to eventually cause the books to have a curve to them.

I actually flip the boards around every few months as a precaution.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector J_Walker private msg quote post Address this user
Off topic here, but a storage question....

To save space and to only to have to buy one size bag / board combo, I started using Silver / Golden Mylite 2's with Full Backs for everything. In addition, I double up moderns putting two in one bag (1 on each side of the board). Only one modern per bag/board is too loose and the extra thickness of having two moderns in these size bags seems to keep them from shifting once the bag is sealed.

Is there anything glaring that I'm not thinking of that would make this a bad idea? Like double the off-gassing from having two books in one bag, etc. I'd think "double the gas" shouldn't be an issue since it's not completely sealed.

Or, perhaps the pressure of having a modern sized book against a silver age book could cause an issue? For example, if I had a silver age comic facing forward in the short box and then place a bag with two moderns in front of it, the silver aged book and one of the moderns would be face to face. If the size of the books aren't consistent then perhaps uneven pressure would be distributed within the box?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector JohnnyDropkicks private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone seen those clear plastic backing boards yet? I've seen them, but have no idea what they're called or what they cost -- but they exist.

Edit: Ok, I looked and they're like $1 to $2 a piece. Has anyone used them?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I would definitely recommend a bag & board combo with toploaders.

I love toploaders, but with a box full of them resting against each other, they do give enough to eventually cause the books to have a curve to them.

I actually flip the boards around every few months as a precaution.

What kind of toploaders are you using?

The BCW I use, the comic is essentially in a well, were the spines of each toploader touch each other and there is zero pressure on the books themselves
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Shrew.....I've used about 400 top loaders for high grade books I want to prevent spine damage on. I was having trouble with spine ticks from the pressure and or movement of just bags and boards.

It usually happened when I took a box out to go through it and re-log/re-grade/re-board...I can't count the times a pile of books "fell" face down as I went through the box (I'm my own worst enemy)

The top loaders fit firmly against the sides of my box (insert joke here) and the edges absolutely prevent any spine pressure ...I just needed more boxes because they take up considerably more space.

I also like that I can remove the books by the sides of the loader instead of having to put pressure on the books to grab them. I still keep the bags and boards
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Quote:

A toploader is a hell of a lot stiffer than a fullback. I've got some displayed in M2s with no back as well, they can be handled with no worries of bending the spine.

How is this setup possibly going to "cause spine damage"? You're talking roughly .25" thick plastic vs .06" cardboard

The book in a bag itself, offers no spine support.

A book sits loosely in a top loader, if it is simply bagged.

Recipe for disaster.

Or, if it is a tighter fit in a top loader, that can just as easily cause spine damage.

By a "board", I mean a Gerber Full Back.

I actually use 3 standard full books per modern book, and then after bagging said book in a "recycled" Mylite2 (by recycled, I mean stretched out so it can accomadate 3 full backs AND a silver age BCW board, the latter to suck up any excess slack inside of the Mylite2 and 3 full backs, which I insert after bagging/boarding the book in the Mylite2 and 3 full backs.

I do NOT use new Gerber supplies, because they have to be "broken in" first..
this gives them a level concave, to cradle the spine.

I than double bag those books with a reused Silver/Gold Mylite2 and single full back, with a single golden age BCW board(inserted secondly, with the concave side facing the opposite direction and the concave side of tge 3 full backs)

I have a couple images of the end product on my desktop, I'll post them up later.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDropkicks
Has anyone seen those clear plastic backing boards yet? I've seen them, but have no idea what they're called or what they cost -- but they exist.

Edit: Ok, I looked and they're like $1 to $2 a piece. Has anyone used them?

I've seen them and am holding off on using them until I can determine if they are archival.
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Top loaders are made of PVC. PVC is not archival plastic.

Clear backing boards can be found made of either PETG or PVC.
PETG is archival and safe to store your comics in, but DO NOT buy clear backing boards made of PVC or "Vinyl."
Post 16 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids I match my M2 size to the toploader, the book is not so loose. The bcw spine support is better than 5 fullbacks.

I do respect your way of bagging your books though, it is far better than most. The majority of my stuff is with just a single fullback.

To Steve's point, I only use t-loaders in well ventilated conditioned spaces, with the book in a mylite.

Moral of the story? Slab ALL the things and we dont have to worry about any of this 😁
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector onlyhulk23 private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer

i use the bcw ones. and some of us can afford to slab everything, dont get get me wrong that is the overall goal but will take a long time for me and some arent woth slabbing.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The reason I started getting top loaders is for that very reason, I can't afford to get everything I want to slab slabbed. I've been putting the comic in Mylites and 24 mil Half Backs and then an extra board behind that before putting it in the top loader. It's very secure and protected!
Post 19 IP   flag post
I have so many I want to slab! I was seriously going to do it and then the hurricane hit. I'm going to hold off for awhile. I've got a bunch of keys that need some TLC!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer

i use the bcw ones. and some of us can afford to slab everything, dont get get me wrong that is the overall goal but will take a long time for me and some arent woth slabbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@CopperAgeKids I match my M2 size to the toploader, the book is not so loose. The bcw spine support is better than 5 fullbacks.

I do respect your way of bagging your books though, it is far better than most. The majority of my stuff is with just a single fullback.

To Steve's point, I only use t-loaders in well ventilated conditioned spaces, with the book in a mylite.

Moral of the story? Slab ALL the things and we dont have to worry about any of this 😁

"Not so loose" is actually much, much worse than you think it is.

What you have described will apply uneven pressure on a book.Wether the Mylite2 flap is properly scored or just left open.

Think of the 1990's "Archival Fortress" cases, wherein the book was placed inside, and the lid was shut and screwed into place.

In either scenario, scored Mylite2 bag or unscored, uneven pressure and a lack of a board, is an issue.

This is not my opinion, it is physics.

The problem with the Fortress, is that it would apply uneven pressure on a book, because it lacked an inner well.

Borock has remarked on this issue with the design flaw of the Fortress previously, if my word isn't good enough😉...PM him and ask him to chime in on this issue.Ricketts will also tell you the same, if you ask him.😊

A book in a Mylite2, with no full back, and you have the SAME problem of uneven pressure being applied to the book.

The method I described and use is for books that I have pressed, and are than being subbed for grading*.A couple examples are posted at the bottom of this post, of that method.

A Mylite2 (with a very tightly scored flap) and a single Full Back actually provides much more in terms of spine protection....than the same Mylite2 sans Full Back, in a top loader.

For long term storage of modern books that are not worth slabbing, I would suggest standard Mylite2 and a standard full back.

After the book is laid squarely on the FB and inserted into the Mylite2 ,hold onto the book by the center of the M2 flap,pulling the flap back enough so the book is not free to move into an uneven place in the Mylite22, and lightly lay the book on a clean/level surface.

Face of bagged/boarded book down.

Than push the FB as far into the M2 as it will go, which flushes the book squarely.

Compress as much air out of the book as possible, by putting the edge of your palm and fingers vertically down while.

Than , while applying level/light force, to the top of the FB ,index finger about 1 1/2" away from the top RC of the FB with your thumb doing the same to the to the top LC of the FB ,so the book has nowhere to wiggle, lightly push the excess air that has already been transferred to the back of the FB, between the Mylite2, out of the Mylite2.

Start pushing the air out about an inch away from the base of the full back.Do not start at the base, that will transfer pressure onto the book itself.

Than insert the half back in the Mylite2, slowly and evenly.

This half back acts as a buffer and soaks up space.

File each book into a standard size short box. with the spine of each book alternated.

Use one sheet of cardboard at the back of the box, one sheet of cardboard at the front of the box.

These cardboard buffers shift pressure away from the books, while in your collection/storage.

Finally, I do not believe that acid free clear boards should be used, either.

Full Backs are better, because they are slightly pliable and will cradle the spine.

Clear boards, as they are plastic, do not offer this benefit.

A Mylite2 with a scored flap and an acid free clear board, to a signifigantly lesser degree but it is still not a viable trade off, presents the same design flaw that the Fortress inherently offered.

To each his own, though.

Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post

Post 23 IP   flag post
601246 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?