Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsCBCS GradedComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Help me with my next CBCS order5617

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Redshade - See, my time machine works for you too!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
What intrigues me about SA DC’s are that there are so few slabs of them in higher grades. For example, according to the CGC census (I know, we don’t have one here) Adventure #285 has about 18 copies in grades 8.0 or above. There are zero copies above 9.2. Compare those numbers with SA Marvels.

The copies that we received suffered even greater than US copies because apart from normal printer/distributor/wholesale handling they had to suffer a 6 week sea voyage from the US and were then individually hand stamped by various importers with a UK inked price and sorted into newsagents packs tied up with string!
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome books Ed. I concur with the others on what to leave out.

Diggin that 167 man, nice book!

Got any 141s hiding in your stash?
Post 28 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - Except for a graded #100, my Superman run pretty much starts with #149, and is far from complete.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Just send me the two that don't make the cut.
Post 30 IP   flag post

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo I am a huge LoSH fan. I love seeing high grade copies of Adventures and Superboys. It reminds me that I have several holes to fill. 😄

Nice books!
Post 31 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts - Thanks, Steve. I am hoping to get a few high grades, even without your “magic.” If a few get high enough grades, maybe I will finally make the “Featured” section.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Unfortunately I don't pick the featured books anymore, of there would be a lot more Legion comics in it. lol

I'd be happy to help the grades, should you decide to have them pressed. The turnaround is making huge progress right now. If you ever wanted to try it, this is a great time to do it.

Either way, best of luck on them.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have access to the CGC data base, or indeed any other site that may track sales of graded comics.

How rarer, if at all, are high grade 60s DC comics as opposed to Marvel books?

Has it anything to do with the Marvel completists back in the day buying multiples to save as file copies?

(Why does the word "completists" have a red wavy line under it when I type? It is in my English Dictionary. I'm surprised that it is not in the American lexicon especially when we are talking about collecting).
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Redshade - Stephen, there are many ways to access the CGC census. You can get free access directly from CGC by signing up at their website. You can also see the CGC numbers on some comic book sites like Mycomicshop.com or Comics.gocollect.com. Search for the issue you want and there should be a tab for the CGC census data.

I do believe that a lot more people were buying copies of Marvel Comics during the 1960’s for collecting/investment purposes. So even though they are rarer in high grade, most DC titles are worth less than their more plentiful Marvel counterparts.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts I think I've posted this before, but I came across this Adventure Comics #346 at a local auction 2 years ago still in its original subscription envelope. There was like a whole run of these Adventure Comics from the mid-60's still in these envelopes, but this is the only one I won as I was determined to get this one as it's Jim Shooter's first published work.

Post 36 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam - That’s pretty cool and unique. I had him sign my copy. He’s a great guy to talk to, and he brought along several binders with comics, artwork, and other memorabilia he was involved with. He also signs for free, and told me that it pisses off a popular artist that charges $50-60 per signature.

Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo - How come when I pick through my collection looking for 10 books to submit, I struggle to find anything over 5.0 and your struggles are that you don't know which 9.8's to submit Must be nice!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
@esaravo - How come when I pick through my collection looking for 10 books to submit, I struggle to find anything over 5.0 and your struggles are that you don't know which 9.8's to submit Must be nice!

Good morning Darrin. You know it’s been a year since we last got together? If you weren’t so busy spending thousands on GA comics and then hiding them from your wife, you’d have more time to get out. lol

But honestly I have thousands of reader-grade copies, and I have yet to get a 9.8 on a SA comic. The Adventure Comics I posted scans of will probably average 9.0. There are probably a few lower and hopefully a few higher. But I do have a few short boxes and multiple piles of books that I would like to submit. And no, they are not all 9.6’s and 9.8’s. If CBCS took PayPal as payment, I would probably submit 10 comics every month. Feel free to come over and help me pick out my next 10.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam Very cool to still have the mailing envelope. I have a very nice copy of this book. It was also a subscription copy,but the crease didn't break color at all. I pressed it, but you can faintly make out where it was when the light reflects off it perfectly.

One of my favorite LoSH keys, for sure.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
@Foghorn_Sam Very cool to still have the mailing envelope. I have a very nice copy of this book. It was also a subscription copy,but the crease didn't break color at all. I pressed it, but you can faintly make out where it was when the light reflects off it perfectly.

One of my favorite LoSH keys, for sure.

My copy there is nearly pristine except for a color break on Karate Kid's left shoulder where the book is folded. It looked like all the books in that collection had been left in the mailing envelopes and had never seen the light of day. How long would that have been, 50+ years now? I wish I could have picked up more, but everyone was going crazy for them. I think there were 3 consecutive years worth like that. Truly a unique find by the auctioneer.
Anyway, nice to know there is another LoSH fan out there. I always enjoyed the title.
Cheers,
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher

Good morning Darrin. You know it’s been a year since we last got together? If you weren’t so busy spending thousands on GA comics and then hiding them from your wife, you’d have more time to get out. lol

But honestly I have thousands of reader-grade copies, and I have yet to get a 9.8 on a SA comic. The Adventure Comics I posted scans of will probably average 9.0. There are probably a few lower and hopefully a few higher. But I do have a few short boxes and multiple piles of books that I would like to submit. And no, they are not all 9.6’s and 9.8’s. If CBCS took PayPal as payment, I would probably submit 10 comics every month. Feel free to come over and help me pick out my next 10.

Hey Ed...you crack me up! I know, we have to get together soon. My wife just told me she is taking me to St pete next month for my 50th so i can check out CBCS and CGC. I'm excited!! Don't know if I need to set up an appointment or can just walk in, but now I have to find some books to bring Maybe I'll run yours down for you so it looks like I have nice books
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Watcher - You do need an appointment (at least with CBCS). You can set up a drop-off date on the HOME page.
Post 43 IP   flag post
@esaravo...Thanks brother! I'll be the only guy dropping off 5.00 books in person
Post 44 IP   flag post
@Watcher - Come and see me before you go and bring your X-Men #1. I will make sure you leave with enough raw high-grade books to make it well worth your time and effort.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Deal! I saw the home page appointment section, but nothing set up that far out so I need to wait. Do you know if they do tours or am i just passing off my books?
Post 46 IP   flag post
598003 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?