Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsCBCS GradedComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Help me with my next CBCS order5617

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It’s about time for me to pack up some more of my comics so they can go on a long vacation in Florida. I need to take a break from Bronze Age books, since my heart really belongs to the Silver Age. I have submitted dozens of SA Marvels, but only a few DC’s. So after cherry-picking through some boxes, I am down to the following 12 comics. I am only going to submit 10 of them, so which two would you not submit for grading at this time?
Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post

Post 12 IP   flag post

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I'd pass on the 299 and the 305, but I guess it depends on your reason. 'Long term' or 'now' values, or because they look cool.
But I think my answer would be same anyway. Disregarding the fact that I actually wouldn't submit anything, of course, but this is What If..?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
And my reason for passing on those two is that, judging by the cover (lol), the content looks fairly generic. No appearances of note, while somebody of interest is on all the other covers who might make the label..
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
And my reason for passing on those two is that, judging by the cover (lol), the content looks fairly generic. No appearances of note, while somebody of interest is on all the other covers.

This!

I would pass on the 299 & 305 as well.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i think @MR_SigS nailed it @esaravo, i'd go with that. not an adv comics guy but those look like nice books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I would probably find a way I could rob Peter to pay Paul so I could submit all 12 books. Just my two cents.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I would probably find a way I could rob Peter to pay Paul so I could submit all 12 books. Just my two cents.

Seconded.

Those are beautiful books. Have you got a printing press hidden in your basement?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@drchaos - I plan on making more submissions in the future, Corey, but for packaging and shipping expenses, I like to send ten at a time by mail. At conventions I usually drop off 15 to 20 comics or more.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Redshade - No presses, Stephen, just my little old time machine! At least that’s how I look at my collection. And like I said, these were picked as the best of the best, sir (a little Men in Black humor). There are plenty of reader copies as well.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I know the Superman 167 is worth more than the Adventure comics however it is not as appealing with the browning across the top. Then #299 like the other guys mentioned.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@drchaos - I plan on making more submissions in the future, Corey, but for packaging and shipping expenses, I like to send ten at a time by mail. At conventions I usually drop off 15 to 20 comics or more.
I always drop off at conventions and only mail when I have to.

Last time I found those discount coupons when they were about to expire. This time CBCS was cracking the whip to get signatures in on time.

If they would have let me I would have brought the books to a show in April even if it meant waiting longer. Would have saved about $400 on shipping.
Post 23 IP   flag post
What intrigues me about SA DC’s are that there are so few slabs of them in higher grades. For example, according to the CGC census (I know, we don’t have one here) Adventure #285 has about 18 copies in grades 8.0 or above. There are zero copies above 9.2. Compare those numbers with SA Marvels.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Back in '63/'64 when I was 8/9 and when American comics first started appearing at my local newsagent these are exactly the comics that I remember.

The newsagent used to receive a box of random comics and I remember that they were a mix of Dell "funny kids" and "funny animals/ghosts"
(which I'd already grown out of with similar UK product), and DC comics with the emphasis being on the Superman titles which I bought and read to destruction. There were very few Batman or Marvel titles as I recall but that is probably because the big boys got there first.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Redshade - See, my time machine works for you too!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
What intrigues me about SA DC’s are that there are so few slabs of them in higher grades. For example, according to the CGC census (I know, we don’t have one here) Adventure #285 has about 18 copies in grades 8.0 or above. There are zero copies above 9.2. Compare those numbers with SA Marvels.

The copies that we received suffered even greater than US copies because apart from normal printer/distributor/wholesale handling they had to suffer a 6 week sea voyage from the US and were then individually hand stamped by various importers with a UK inked price and sorted into newsagents packs tied up with string!
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome books Ed. I concur with the others on what to leave out.

Diggin that 167 man, nice book!

Got any 141s hiding in your stash?
Post 28 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer - Except for a graded #100, my Superman run pretty much starts with #149, and is far from complete.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Just send me the two that don't make the cut.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600776 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?