Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsMemorabiliaMovies TelevisionPop Culture

My 1st comic ever. What was yours???5418

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzbe
Question i have is how many people use to read the comics in news paper? and what memory do you have?

I LOVED Bloom County as a kid, even though I didn't get a lot of the political humor I loved it when Portnoy and Hodge-Podge would go hunting for hunters ("Use the hunter's call, that'll lure them in. FREE BEER!" and the monster in the anxiety closet always made me laugh.

Bloom County was awesome! Opus (the penguin) and Bill (the cat with cocaine fried brain). Very political at times. I believe it was Opus that made the comment back in the '80s "Ronald Reagan sucks!", which initiated the demise (or semi-demise) of the strip
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Quote:
Question i have is how many people use to read the comics in news paper? and what memory do you have?

I LOVED Bloom County as a kid, even though I didn't get a lot of the political humor I loved it when Portnoy and Hodge-Podge would go hunting for hunters ("Use the hunter's call, that'll lure them in. FREE BEER!" and the monster in the anxiety closet always made me laugh.

Bloom County was awesome! Opus (the penguin) and Bill (the cat with cocaine fried brain). Very political at times. I believe it was Opus that made the comment back in the '80s "Ronald Reagan sucks!", which initiated the demise (or semi-demise) of the strip

I still have all the books except for Loose Tails, which disintegrated from rereading. My Billy and the Boingers record didn't make it either.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Bloom County was my favorite followed by the Far Side.
Post 53 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't read the daily comics
and on Sundays I had the joy of UNCLE DON reading me the funnies from
the NEW YORK JOURNAL-AMERICAN on WOR Radio.
I also was always pleased to find a copy of TIP TOP COMICS or ACE
COMICS or KING COMICS on the newsstand that carried reprints of
earlier episodes of my favorite strips. SUPER COMICS was also
an other favorite with early DICK TRACY strips.

Marty
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

Used to love Andy Capp - I was a messed up kid I think

I loved Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, Peanuts, Bizarro strips. Im sure there are some I am forgetting, its been too long since I've read a np comics strip/.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I started reading them again back in 1978 when this appeared.

mm
Post 56 IP   flag post
Let me correct the above...I remember reading the AMAZING SPIDER-
MAN back in 1977.

(From Day 3)

mm
Post 57 IP   flag post
Also from 1977...

mm
Post 58 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
I started reading them again back in 1978 when this appeared.

mm

So that's what a nuclear missile looks like.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

So that's what a nuclear missile looks like.

Wait for it....

That’s what she said!
Post 60 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
LOL
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user

One of my favorites
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff

One of my favorites

Sometimes timing is everything... got a solid laugh out of this... Far Side, Peanuts, Spidey, Hagar de horrible, Beetle Bailey, B.C.
Post 63 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I was always partial to this Far Side installment.

Post 64 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
"The Far Side" was another one of my favorite reads in the news paper back in the '80s. I think I had a couple of paper backs of that strip as well. Don't know what happened to it, but I miss it.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
Also loved Calvin and Hobbes

Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
"The Far Side" was another one of my favorite reads in the news paper back in the '80s. I think I had a couple of paper backs of that strip as well. Don't know what happened to it, but I miss it.
Far Side was great. I took this one and modofied it after several waves of layoffs at work..

I added my own caption and posted it on a file cabinet.

Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector EngineJoe private msg quote post Address this user
Wish I would’ve saw this post first! Newbie mistake! Please forgive!

My first comic I bought with my allowance as a kid! And a few years later, at a Chinese buffet it got signed by Steven Butler! Or as I believed till this day it was him! Good try for a free buffet on the house, man!

Omg I read the far side everyday for years on my teachers’ desks!

Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineJoe
Wish I would’ve saw this post first! Newbie mistake! Please forgive!

My first comic I bought with my allowance as a kid! And a few years later, at a Chinese buffet it got signed by Steven Butler! Or as I believed till this day it was him! Good try for a free buffet on the house, man!

Omg I read the far side everyday for years on my teachers’ desks!

Great start to the collection! It seems like many a kids first comic featured ol' Web-head! Welcome to the boards
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector iLLest77 private msg quote post Address this user
I got this one Halloween when I was 10. I kept it all this time. 1987

Halloween handout and first comic ever. (mini) by illest05, on Flickr
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
can't be certain really, but most likely this one:

Post 71 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@rejaak - Do you want it back? I think I ended up with it somehow.

Post 72 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo lol..naw..i still have it..
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
This was the 1st comic I picked up as a kid...

This is the 1st comic that really started my serious collection though...

To this day I can’t remember what happened to that G.I. Joe comic; I probably left it @ a friends house or @ school! Lol!
Post 74 IP   flag post
@Zombiebigfoot

I have always loved that G.I. Joe cover! The Dreadnoks were my absolute favorite miscreants.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
I no longer have it, and can't clearly remember it, but I am pretty sure it was an early 70s GK Scooby Doo while we were on our annual Summer camping trip.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
My memory is fuzzy on which was my first to collect.

I started collecting just before the Death of Superman speculation frenzy started. I was about nine years old.

Every year, my Grandparents had a huge block sale in their neighborhood. Just up the street, someone had three Long boxes of comics. My Dad surprised me with maybe five books from that collection. All that weekend, when I sold something, I'd run over and buy another book or two. I still have these two from that weekend. Mine are probably in 6.0 condition:

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
First comic I ever purchased, and I remember it perfectly: Aliens Predator, Deadliest of the Species #1.

Picked it up with my dad at the comic shop at Town & Country Mall in Arlington Heights IL (since closed, and I don’t remember the name of the comic shop).

It was a shop with perfect late 80’s/early 90’s location: at the “T” intersection of the mall in the corner unit off the main corridor, with a KB-Toys on one side, entrance to a multiplex theater on the other, and a big coin-op arcade across the way. I think the food court was just off the other end of the “T”; it was always packed with kids & teenagers. I don’t know how many hundreds of dollars dad & I fed into the old arcade games...
Post 78 IP   flag post
600792 78 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?