Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Buyers Be Warned (eBay Sellers) - PART 25303

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
As many of you read in my previous thread:
https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/5215/page/1/buyers-be-warned-ebay-seller/

...there are eBay sellers out there committing some seriously sickening fraud.
We proved brunsfam's FRAUD 100%, and have a pretty solid inclination that ducatidesmod16rr is also committing fraud just based on his proximity to brunsfam in Oregon - but it is possible that brunsfam just stole his photo, although that seems unlikely since BOTH people sold restored FF48's as "unrestored". It just matches up. Same Photo, ~Same Location, Restored Item Listed As Unrestored.

MOVING ON!

I bought about 30 books this holiday season, and probably won't buy anymore for at least 6 months.
~30% of those were fraud/scams.

Here are a few more users to watch out for, and I would also recommend just blocking to be safe:
krakow1 (Fraud)
fgd2868 (Fraud)
rodney-memorbilia (Fraud)

These three people knowingly list false items with intent to take advantage of their customers.

Key themes:
-Low Feedback / Negative Feedback
-No Returns
-Minimal/Limited Descriptions/Photos

Krakow1 sold me a GL76 7.0 (graded) - but it arrived damaged with what was the worst shipping box I've ever received in my life. I was refunded and I returned the item to them, however they have now RELISTED the item without disclosing the cracked case. They have negative feedback and offered no returns, so shame on me for buying it in the first place, but good on me for sharing my experience to help the CBCS community.

Original Listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Lantern-76-CGC-7-0-Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow-stories-begin-Neal-Adams/112585025201?hash=item1a369726b1:g:ziwAAOSwugtZ0PH-

New Listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Lantern-76-CGC-7-0-Green-Lantern-Green-Arrow-stories-begin-Neal-Adams/112760372452?hash=item1a410abce4:g:ziwAAOSwugtZ0PH-

What I received:
A cracked CGC case inside a box made of two boxes taped together with only 3 disney plastic bags as protection...

fgd2868 sold me a CA100 (raw) - which appeared to match the condition as listed, until I opened it up...all the stamps/coupons were cut out and totally undisclosed. I am currently dealing with him to return it, which looks like it will evolve into a case, which will involve into me waiting a while before I receive my money back(yay...). He told me he was the original owner of the book and it was perfect when I messaged him.

Original Listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-100-9-0-9-2-Nice-Book/322636605459?hash=item4b1ea3e813:g:JTsAAOSwAH1Zhf4M

What I received:

...as for rodney-memorbilia, you can see from his recent feedback he is just a straight-up "no-ship, quick-money" scammer.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/rodney-memorbilia?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
(I accidentally left him Positive Feedback, but with a Negative Comment - it was supposed to be Negative Feedback)

My advice to anyone new to collecting that plans to purchase online(especially eBay), what to look for:

-CLEAR HIGH-RESOLUTION PHOTOS
-RETURN POLICY**
-SELLER WITH HIGH FEEDBACK/RATING
-SELLER WITH DETAILED DESCRIPTION**

**Not always the case as seen /w the FF48 from brunsfam - Return Polcy & Fake Warranty in their description is how they keep their scam afloat. They are banking on you submitting it to CGC and then when you message them about the restored book in a few weeks - they don't respond.

A common theme also with these "scammers/fraud" sellers is they seem to sell "various items" not just "comic books" - their "Items For Sale" looks like a yard sale.

I am by no means a "perfect buyer" - I have requested to cancel an order after paying, and disagreed with grades after receiving books(usually due to lighting/bad photos), and sometimes I offer at or below GPA.

HOWEVER, fraud is not cool and if I can help prevent it in the future even just one user at a time, then that's what I'm going to do!

Have a great weekend all, and hopefully a safer eBay experience.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector strictly_comix private msg quote post Address this user
Daaaaang! That's messed up. Thanks for informing the community. Some people are stupid. It benefits you more in the long run if you're just honest and exercise some integrity.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man thanks for the info but can we not call the cracked case fraud. I thInk it’s more of just bad selling. The next person that buys it is more than able to return it as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
Real good info ty for the heads up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
by the way what is the best way to post things you want to sell, i have about 20 graded gft's vol 1 i would like to sell and not sure how to go about it. i am good at buying and grading but no ideal what to do to sell
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@comic_book_man thanks for the info but can we not call the cracked case fraud. I thInk it’s more of just bad selling. The next person that buys it is more than able to return it as well.

The fraud is that he relisted it with the original photos, showing it not cracked. I held it in my hands, the case is cracked, and he is actively selling it as uncracked.
Post 6 IP   flag post
that just shitty
he need to be done something about cause that is praying on the little guy that has no ideal what is happening
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man could I have the link to the relisted? Does he specifically say “uncracked”?
Post 8 IP   flag post
cant you open a legal case against them, i would hope that you could
Post 9 IP   flag post
sorry guess been cheated one too many times and cant stand seeing people do it
Post 10 IP   flag post
@KingNampa the listing is in my original post above - He does not say the case is cracked or damaged, which he should since it is.

He knows it's cracked yet relists without saying so? That's intentionally hiding a key detail on his product to "make it more appealing", which to me is fraud no?
Post 11 IP   flag post
@KingNampa The new listing he has shows no crack on the left side of the case which spreads to the back - since the case is clear you can see this from the front. He is just using his original photos and is going to send someone a large cracked-case book.
His description is: "You get the item in the picture" but that is not true, the condition of the book/case is different than the listing.

It's really a shame on myself for buying it in the first place, but I mainly just wanted to save forum people future frustration.
Don't buy their books! Deceit!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
10 out of 30 bad transactions for the last holiday season is pretty bad. You have an uncanny ability to pick up bad books or to buy from shady sellers. You should probably take more than six months off. I've made some bad purchases in the last 19 years on eBay, but I don't think I had as many as you had.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE haha true, I know right?
T'was a sad holiday indeed. I just need to buy graded, with a return policy and high feedback(>1000) or stick to Comic Cons, LCS, The CBCS Forum, and Reputable Comic Auction Sites.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Buying well on Ebay is pretty straight forward and easy.

Just do your homework and don't be blinded by the possible great deal. Read the feedback and do not take chances with low volume sellers or sellers with feedback in the low 90%. I only do transactions with sellers who have hundreds or thousands of listed transactions, and only if they have a 98.5 or higher satisfaction rate. I know you can't please everyone. But you should be able to please 98% of the time.

Or

Keep doing what you are doing, which wastes time and money.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

The cracked case could be from poor packing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@drchaos Yeah I agree, that's what I said to him too, but he claims he didnt send it in that box lol...but either way why would he repost it as uncracked? Must be some scheme since it's a false listing. Whoever buys that book is getting a hefty cracked case.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak I've been rusty lately since I took a few years off - this is definitely a relearning experience for me, and I plan to follow a tougher set of buying rules post-holiday as I build my collection, to many of your points.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@drchaos Yeah I agree, that's what I said to him too, but he claims he didnt send it in that box lol...but either way why would he repost it as uncracked? Must be some scheme since it's a false listing. Whoever buys that book is getting a hefty cracked case.

Let him be, this guy is going to keep loosing money as he'll be forced to reimburse buyers shippIng costs there and back every time he makes a sale.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
I did notice that the CGC certification #1488065016 in the description of the relist is NOT the one in any of the pictures. The pics of the case show #0327494022. Both are listed by CGC AS GL #76 7.0’s. Very strange. If you know the case for #0327494022 is cracked and he is showing pics showing otherwise, then he IS knowingly committing fraud. Both listings show the pics of the case with the #0327494022.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddly
I did notice that the CGC certification #1488065016 in the description of the relist is NOT the one in any of the pictures. The pics of the case show #0327494022. Both are listed by CGC AS GL #76 7.0’s. Very strange. If you know the case for #0327494022 is cracked and he is showing pics showing otherwise, then he IS knowingly committing fraud. Both listings show the pics of the case with the #0327494022.

Yep, exactly. The case for #0327494022 is 100% cracked (photo above) and in his new listing. He is reusing the original pictures, showing it as "uncracked" so the next buyer is going to have to deal with this nonsense like I did.
I dont know why he wouldn't just list it with the crack, cracks aren't a huge deal to many people - only when you didn't pay for a crack is it a headache.

He has some scheme going on but I don't really understand it other than he knowingly lists this item without a crack when it was sold to me cracked and I returned it now he's reselling it again cracked but undisclosed(old photos, pre-crack).
Post 21 IP   flag post
If you took full size hi-res pics of the entire case, showing both the cracks and the certification #0327494022 inside the case, eBay would have to treat this very seriously, as they frown very heavily on fraud. Especially as the cracked case was the reason for the last return.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Waddly I like your profile photo. Excited for the LOTR TV Show?

Also, yes.
I sent all the photos for my return, eBay is investigating fraud I just don't know how long it will take.
Post 23 IP   flag post
This investigation probably won’t take long at all. The evidence is pretty clear, kind of hard to see much ambiguity in this case. As to LOTR, hell yes!
Post 24 IP   flag post
601456 24 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?