Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics PedigreesComics Silver AgeQuestions

Are we in the middle of a comic bubble?506

Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if anyone has seen this clip from Yahoo Finance.
I always get this 90s vibe when I see people like this promoting the movie hype/spec stuff. I'll be on the lookout for that "DC Comics 1" he was talking about, sounds like a hot book.

I think its a little out of hand especially with these new variant books fetching $100+ on day of release. Most High grade major keys are out of reach for many collectors at this point because of articles like this. More and more speculators getting into any market is a bad thing for any true collector.

What do you guys think about the current state of comic collecting? Are we in a comic collecting bubble?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting thought. For me, it's the bronzes age and back. Anything after 1983 the art work for me was horrible simple horrible so I stopped collecting. Bring back Neal Adams, Jim Starline, Mike Ploog, John Romita Sr. and Jr., Tom Sutton, Jack Kirby and so on.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SleepyZ private msg quote post Address this user
I'm the opposite of @Rafel where I absolutely abhor the art and writing of the vast majority of bronze age and earlier (we'll throw the 90's in there for good measure).

But, to answer your question, I do believe we're in a bubble. I'm doing my best to focus on collecting well-established keys as well as any books I truly want to add to my personal collection.

Today's collector would be wise to stay well away from ratio variants, gimmick reboots, and the Hollywood Hype Train. Unless, of course, they enjoy that sort of thing. If that's the case, full steam ahead, brother!

Collect what you truly love and you won't be in too terrible of condition if the "bubble" breaks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Agreed...a fool and his money are soon parted.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
We most definitely are. The landscape looks frighteningly similar to the mid-90's at the moment.

Like mentioned above though, buy what you like, and it won't matter if the bubble bursts.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
I have a hard time believing people will remember Preacher in five years. BTW I have all the trades its a good story
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, because the fact that we are being inundated by so many variants of one issue despite the issue itself not being key, is a bad sign.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
You really don't need to worry about bubble bursting unless your only goal is to spec buy and flip hot trending books. If you are focusing on your personal collection then bursting bubbles might actually be a good thing, as then you can add certain items to your collection that were once over inflated.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyZ
I'm the opposite of @Rafel where I absolutely abhor the art and writing of the vast majority of bronze age and earlier (we'll throw the 90's in there for good measure).

But, to answer your question, I do believe we're in a bubble. I'm doing my best to focus on collecting well-established keys as well as any books I truly want to add to my personal collection.

Today's collector would be wise to stay well away from ratio variants, gimmick reboots, and the Hollywood Hype Train. Unless, of course, they enjoy that sort of thing. If that's the case, full steam ahead, brother!

Collect what you truly love and you won't be in too terrible of condition if the "bubble" breaks.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You really don't need to worry about bubble bursting unless your only goal is to spec buy and flip hot trending books. If you are focusing on you're personal collection then bursting bubbles might actually be a good thing, as then you can add certain items to your collection that were once over inflated.

I'm waiting for Iron Fist prices to lower now for that reason
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Incidentally I don't think there is one huge bubble, but rather micro bubbles, like the current bubbles for The Walking Dead and Preacher. These bubbles will burst at different times based on market conditions, not all at once.
Post 11 IP   flag post
SleepyZ, I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to collecting. People will collect what they like. As for a bubble the pendulum swings both ways. When it decides to fall is anybody's guess. Now as for the art work. I love yesterdays work. The characters look like real people. Somebody you would see walking down the street instead of some giant with muscles that are so big that their body couldn't support them and the weapons are outrageous! Not only are they too big and bulky but where are they concealing them? No, give me old school any day. Also, there still are some great buys out there and I'm trying to fill some of my gaps if "the bubble" does pop.
Post 12 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I only buy old high grade books. No bubble there, when you are sitting on a 60 to 70 year old 9 or above
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector SleepyZ private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel: For sure, dude. Everyone has their own tastes and that's what is amazing about comic books.

Also, I'm with you on disliking giant muscles & weapons. I love me some independent horror & sci-fi. As long as the storytelling is on point and the art is gritty and dark, I love it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
I only buy old high grade books. No bubble there, when you are sitting on a 60 to 70 year old 9 or above

I'm trying to reach that type of baller status ..... its difficult
Post 15 IP   flag post
I put my efforts in stuff like this.

Post 16 IP   flag post

Or stuff like this
Post 17 IP   flag post
Or some crazy GA 3-d book. It's kind of a variant in a way. No?

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You really don't need to worry about bubble bursting unless your only goal is to spec buy and flip hot trending books. If you are focusing on your personal collection then bursting bubbles might actually be a good thing, as then you can add certain items to your collection that were once over inflated.

This.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on what is being sold. Almost anything modern is on the bubble, and I'm starting to see crazy prices being realized for mid-grade Bronze and even early Copper books that are common as dirt.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
I know, it makes collecting certain things a real pain in the buttock.

Personally, the bubble is at it's end, not middle. People talk of micro bubbles and all that, but to me, in the end, hype is hype. People can push as hard as they like, and suckers will always be suckers, but soon the books I wish to own will be a LOT cheaper than what they are now.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyZ
@Rafel: For sure, dude. Everyone has their own tastes and that's what is amazing about comic books.

Also, I'm with you on disliking giant muscles & weapons. I love me some independent horror & sci-fi. As long as the storytelling is on point and the art is gritty and dark, I love it.

I wouldn't be so sure. High grade Golden Age is shooting up at such an increased rate that I can see it come crashing down as well. With those prices, all it takes is one or two bidders to walk away to seriously effect price.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Don't see golden or silver age going down anytime soon. However these poor people that spends hundreds or thousands on a variant copy of a brand new book may find they have few buyers in a few years if they go to sell anything with the thought of a profit. Even better is the hysterics some people have over getting a 9.8 of a brand new comic. Shouldn't any comics less than 20 years old get 9.8 or above.
I mean the printing, ink, paper so much better than the quality of golden age or silver, one should not be enamored when they get a 9.8 or higher back. I would expect nothing less.
Not sure how you can compare a 9.8 off the shelf with something like this 9.8 Joe Palokka from 1950.
Too bad the industry has people fooled into spending way too much of their money on new books outside of their cover price.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
I also admit to riding the variant wave (Gabrielle Dell Otto, Adam Hughes, J Scott Campbell and Lee Bermejo are just awesome artists to resist their variants!)
But I've been adding autographs/signatures on these variants to make them more worthwhile, rather than just slabbing them straight-up.

A signed & slabbed Modern can hold its own (depending on the book and the artist of course) in the long-term, causing it to maintain perceived aftermarket value than one without.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Not sure if anyone has seen this clip from Yahoo Finance.
I always get this 90s vibe when I see people like this promoting the movie hype/spec stuff. I'll be on the lookout for that "DC Comics 1" he was talking about, sounds like a hot book.

I think its a little out of hand especially with these new variant books fetching $100+ on day of release. Most High grade major keys are out of reach for many collectors at this point because of articles like this. More and more speculators getting into any market is a bad thing for any true collector.

What do you guys think about the current state of comic collecting? Are we in a comic collecting bubble?

It's less of a bubble than a Newtonian ring.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
While there are some factors in the current marketplace that are similar to the 90's the current marketplace still not anywhere close to being on the bubble because the single most crucial factor is missing ... namely the influx of thousands of collectors of other items that failed. In the 90's the collapse of the trading card market pushed many into the comic market. Being idiots they jumped at silly investments and when they realized that not all of these investments were going to make them rich they bailed. Almost all had no interest in the actual media they were looking for quick and steady money. It took months and months for shops and distributors, and the rest of the hobby to recover.

Could it all collapse? Sure but right now there is little danger of that. The market just isn't that perilously balanced as the 90's. Not even close.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I just looked the newest book I have is a 1968 Captain Action #1.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica lol, we're surely in trouble then.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
I think even if a bubble exists, the aftermath of a burst won't be as serious as back in the 90s. I grew up in the 80s (born in the 70s) and loved comics. Like many kids, I could only buy 5-8 books a month. I collected comics up until college in the mid 90s. Now, decades later, I'm back into collecting. I'm seeing a lot more guys/girls around my age that are getting back into it because we have the money to buy what we want.
Comics and being a geek just doesn't have the same negative stereotypes that it had back then. I think people like myself will be able to help sustain a market, but only to a point. I love the variant covers for the artwork, but as others have said, it's getting ridiculous.
The reprints are out of hand though. Comics that aren't key issues are getting reprints, even when the originals are still sitting on shelves. Reprints should be left to those key issues to allow young collectors a chance to read from a real comic book instead of scans on google images.
The thing with comics is that for them to be meaningful investments, the owner usually has to sit on the books for years/decades before they can resell for huge profits, and only if the books they have are worthwhile. It's far easier to earn money through stock market investments in "safe" stocks/portfolios. People might read those articles and see the % gain, but not realize the amount of time it takes for comics to appreciate. Then there's the matter of selling at the perfect time and finding a buyer willing to pay that kind of price. There aren't a lot of people willing to pay $3M for Action Comics #1, even if they have the money to do so.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by zosocane
Depends on what is being sold. Almost anything modern is on the bubble, and I'm starting to see crazy prices being realized for mid-grade Bronze and even early Copper books that are common as dirt.

What are you seeing in early Copper, just out of curiosity?

I've been selling an awful lot of New Mutants books that have been $1 books since they came out, now I'm getting $10-20 on books just based on speculation.

NM 1, 14, 18 and 26 all are selling above what I believe their worth. I don't mind since I was sitting on plenty of them, but I do think it's silly.

I've also been seeing spikes in Copper Batman values, but nothing obscene, well, besides Batman 357 maybe. Random spike in Detective 523 as well.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601350 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?