Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedPop CultureQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Growing trend of window bag signing comics2989

COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
The one thing I hate is standing in line and the mountain of people in front of me taking their sweet time to make sure the artist signs in the right place.

Window bags solve precisely that problem.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
What right do we have to put demands on the artist?

The artist took it upon themselves to offer a service (their signature) in exchange for cash...the customer has every right to request that their property (the book) be handled and serviced to their satisfaction.

Now if the artist is signing for free then they owe no expectations of service because they are not soliciting a service for money.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
The one thing I hate is standing in line and the mountain of people in front of me taking their sweet time to make sure the artist signs in the right place.

Not in my experience. That's usually the same guy who keeps it in three layers of protection. I literally stood behind a guy and watched him pull a book out of a padded envelope, which was in a box, which was in a messenger bag. Then he handled it like he was working with uranium.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@OrbitCityComics I believe that it was plutonium; not uranium. Please - facts only. 😄
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
What right do we have to put demands on the artist?

The artist took it upon themselves to offer a service (their signature) in exchange for cash...the customer has every right to request that their property (the book) be handled and serviced to their satisfaction.

Now if the artist is signing for free then they owe no expectations of service because they are not soliciting a service for money.

Just like any other business, both sides have the right to ask for certain compensations, but then both sides have to agree.

My theory is simple, if you don't like the demand, then take your business elsewhere.

I doubt this will actually hurt his demand. McFarlane and Miller are the two biggest divas out there when it comes to signing books in front of witnesses, and if they made this demand everyone would moan about it, but everyone would bend to their will before they bent to ours.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@OrbitCityComics I believe that it was plutonium; not uranium. Please - facts only. 😄

It might have been Prell. (War Games reference for those of you millennials)
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not in my experience. That's usually the same guy who keeps it in three layers of protection. I literally stood behind a guy and watched him pull a book out of a padded envelope, which was in a box, which was in a messenger bag. Then he handled it like he was working with uranium.

It looked like this didn't it?

Post 57 IP   flag post
I agree with the concept of "if you don't like the terms take your business elsewhere." But just saying that's the end all be all of the discussion ignores my point that these terms are being created based upon faulty misconceptions that creators are getting about the hobby and the motives of the fans. Window bagging comics does not equal a flipper. Getting witnessed does equal a flipper. And aggression towards all flippers and facilitators is highly misplaced because those flippers and facilitators are serving fans who do not have the means to visit the conventions. I don't see how wanting to educate the creators about the reality of the hobby and dispel these misconceptions keeps getting met with such animosity from certain individuals over and over.
Post 58 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The artists that are getting upset are really not seeing this right and their attempts to micromanage the signature process hurt all involved including (and perhaps especially) themselves.

Artists see other people making money off of their work and / or signatures and that green eyed monster tells them that something is wrong.

What they are missing is the big picture. The feeding frenzy and the secondary market responsible for middle men emerging (dealers, flippers, facilitators, grading companies, etc.) means that the demand for their work and the number of actual collectors that want it is on the rise.

Instead of seeing this as a good thing for all concerned and understanding that the other people trying to pay the bills (see above) are really no different from their employers (publishers) or the people sponsoring the event they have chosen to sign at.

No one is trying to steal anything from them and all of the people involved are helping to increase the supply of books available to collectors and ultimately the demand for those books.

Even those of us who wish to profit from the hobby are comic fans and may just want some of those books for our own collection.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I think the heated resistance you are experiencing goes back to what Mr Jimenez originally stated in his tweet which is "he finds it irritating". You've been requesting for more discussion with the artists and for more education when the man flat out said he finds it irritating. The complaining should cease there. He's not going after flippers or making assumptions as to how much his yellown label book will go for. He's simply tired of doing blue windows and doesn't want to. Most of us are asking to respect an adults decision to an activity he finds draining. If you want to find out if it's writers cramp or he likes to sign with large letters or whatever... then go ask him. Maybe he doesn't like onions because they're annoying to his taste buds. Most accept that as an answer. If he's unclear with his tweet then that's something else. But if they irritate him that should be enough to accept and call it a day
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
This is the book the artist was worried about my 10 yr old flipping.

Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think the heated resistance you are experiencing goes back to what Mr Jimenez originally stated in his tweet which is "he finds it irritating". You've been requesting for more discussion with the artists and for more education when the man flat out said he finds it irritating. The complaining should cease there. He's not going after flippers or making assumptions as to how much his yellown label book will go for. He's simply tired of doing blue windows and doesn't want to. Most of us are asking to respect an adults decision to an activity he finds draining. If you want to find out if it's writers cramp or he likes to sign with large letters or whatever... then go ask him. Maybe he doesn't like onions because they're annoying to his taste buds. Most accept that as an answer. If he's unclear with his tweet then that's something else. But if they irritate him that should be enough to accept and call it a day

Exactly. I don't think this has anything to do with PJ not being educated, he just doesn't want to do it.

Starlin had a bad experience with CGC and doesn't want to work with them, but he didn't say he wouldn't work with CBCS.

There are people out there who feel as if they're being discriminated against by the creators because they like slabbed sig books and they're being lumped into the flipper pool. It's up to them to educate the creators, it is what it is.

A lot of the loudest complainers out there ( and he knows who he is ) won't be honest and admit they don't like it affecting their bottom line.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510

A lot of the loudest complainers out there ( and he knows who he is ) won't be honest and admit they don't like it affecting their bottom line.[/quote

BINGO!!

I'll be honest, if I were an artist and saw this, I'd scribble so my signature would overlap the tape.
Post 63 IP   flag post
I like when the tape has specific directions like "sign here sideways from left to right and please draw a little doodle of batman's head" on the blue tape. Noooooo... that's not irritating whatsoever. Not one bit
Post 64 IP   flag post
Jim Starlin and Phil Jemenez weren't rude in how they shared what they were doing and their new way of doing business. They just have a new way of how they will share their signatures with those that seek them.

BTW, you'd think that CBCS would be happy about Starlin's announcement. It should increase their verified signature business and if other creator's follow his lead that would increase that business even more.
Post 65 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I like when the tape has specific directions like "sign here sideways from left to right and please draw a little doodle of batman's head" on the blue tape. Noooooo... that's not irritating whatsoever. Not one bit

Post 66 IP   flag post
I don't need to deal with it. It's not my problem. It is theirs. And now it's becoming certain others problem.
Post 67 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You sound bitter. Do you want to talk about it?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
You sound bitter. Do you want to talk about it?

Sure!
Post 69 IP   flag post
Why do you sound bitter?
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
they have better comics than you?
Post 71 IP   flag post
Well... I actually prefer pink tape; and have noticed blue has been the trend. It makes me sad to see specific artist direction on blue tape. I think blue makes them cry
Post 72 IP   flag post
Kay
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
One of my favorite artists is so old that he can't hear where you ask him to sign. He signs everything sideways. I get a laugh out of it when he's like "okay!" then proceeds to put it on sideways.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Post 75 IP   flag post
Were did everyone go today?
Post 76 IP   flag post
I think everyone wore themselves out yesterday .... lol
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
OK.... so I may have missed it in the couple day non stop thread here, but is there any word on these UltraPro window bags? I mean.... they are an already built thing... so what create would get butthurt about signing books in these??

clickable text
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
well the image didn't show up but these...

Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a CBCS witness this past weekend wanting to know how I did this (other books, not this one specifially).

Both sides are boarded, I have my information for the grader, I have the book name, volume, #, variant, etc on the board as well so as I pass them to the grader, he knows what to write down on his sheet, which makes it easier for them, also if they get lost, they know whose it belongs too.

Link on my technique, is at https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/2637/page/1/fyi-prepping-books-for-signatures/#1

Anyways, Jake Fleming was there, and he showed us the ULTRAPRO BAG and we (both, other witness and I) were both like.. WHOA.. nice..
Post 80 IP   flag post
598094 100 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?