Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsQuestions

CBCS Census and/or Registry Update?2271

Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I know we are all aware that both of these things are "coming" and they have been "coming" for quite some time now. I'm not expecting we will get an exact date or anything but I would love to know if we are getting closer?

I would also love it if CBCS wouldn't mind sharing the reason for why it is taking so long to help us customers that have been waiting so long, understand the delay. I have heard everything from "lack of data" to "technically challenging" to "lower priority" from various members but I would love to hear from CBCS what the real issues are with getting either of these things out? I think these are two very huge features that will drive additional submissions; arguably two of the biggest submission-driving improvements (and maybe even that is the reason....not prepared to handle the additional submissions?)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
Everything he said !
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Hasn't it been like half a year already since they hired that new IT guy? What's the hold ups yo?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector FootNote private msg quote post Address this user
For someone who is new, can someone explain what this is?
Post 4 IP   flag post
The Census is a database of every book graded by CBCS and the amount of books at each grade. This gives collectors a (very) general idea of how rare their books are in terms of copies that have been graded. This is constantly updated by CBCS as they grade new books on a daily basis.

The Registry is a user-updated database of their personal collections. Users can create collections and sets of books that they own that they have graded. This gives collectors the ability to compare how their collections and individual books stack up against other collectors (again, for graded books specifically)
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Fear of perceived inferiority?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ryan,

Thanks. Both those things sound pretty amazing and I hope they come about soon.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Fear of perceived inferiority?

I can see this with the census, but not the database that users would keep for themselves.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Possible reason? If they make a actual census available, it opens them up to how many books they have actually graded. They may be reluctant to share that information at this time?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well between me and my clients, they have graded thousands and I am sure that I am a very small fish in a very large collector/facilitator pond so my guess is that number would not be something to be shy about, especially only being in business a few years
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Its probably just in development, people don't realize how hard it is. I worked on a new feature on my company's website, PeopleSoft integration to the website/portal. Took 1 year to program and almost $1 million. Originally was only supposed to take 3 months and $100k. But the problem with adding new features to your site/database is it causes bugs in existing programs/features. They probably have a similar situation going on.

Also they only have 1 programmer right? We had a team of 3 + me as project manager.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
Its probably just in development, people don't realize how hard it is. I worked on a new feature on my company's website, PeopleSoft integration to the website/portal. Took 1 year to program and almost $1 million. Originally was only supposed to take 3 months and $100k. But the problem with adding new features to your site/database is it causes bugs in existing programs/features. They probably have a similar situation going on.

While in many cases, I would agree with you (I've been a web developer for past 12 years and worked on sites from 10's of visitors to millions of visitors), CBCS being fairly new does not have a super intricate infrastructure. I am definitely not saying it would be an easy task, by any means; however, it should not be something that takes years to build and integrate....especially building from scratch. I'm definitely not trying to knock on anybody's skills or anything like that, but this is exactly why I would love to hear from CBCS why this has been such a challenge to get done and whats taking so long.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The HTML code got lost in JWKyle's longbox.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector KiloGraham private msg quote post Address this user
+1^^^

I'm really impressed with how far CBCS has come in such a short time, adding services not offered by CGC like the VSP and now the new Raw Grading Service. They've made leaps and bounds to stay competitive.

Collectors like to compete, and show off their collections and that's where the registry becomes necessary.

Case in point: Iron Fist 1 Ultimate Edition. After a bit of miscommunication regarding the label, they have let customers know they weren't able to finalize the details with CBCS in time to secure a special label (they have said they are still working to get the special label done in time for future books). It will however feature a special notation describing the total number of books limit to 250. The special label was a major selling point for some of who ordered, we like things that stand out from the rest. Personally, I am considering having it regraded by CGC mainly based on the fact that I can add it to my registered collection.

Anyone else feel the same way? You love CBCS but would still consider CGC for some of your more distinctive books just so they can go on your registry?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Possible reason? If they make a actual census available, it opens them up to how many books they have actually graded. They may be reluctant to share that information at this time?

Very good point.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloGraham
consider CGC for some of your more distinctive books just so they can go on your registry?

Nope.

Nobody needs to know what's in my box. Especially CGC.

🤣
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Well between me and my clients, they have graded thousands and I am sure that I am a very small fish in a very large collector/facilitator pond so my guess is that number would not be something to be shy about, especially only being in business a few years

Also a very good point.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
consider CGC for some of your more distinctive books just so they can go on your registry?

Nope.

Nobody needs to know what's in my box. Especially CGC.

🤣

Phrasing BOOM!

Post 18 IP   flag post
Here's something I'm not familiar with:

If I have a yellow label CGC book and wanted to have it reslabbed by CBCS, would CBCS still recognize the signature series or would it have to be done under VSP?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

If I have a yellow label CGC book and wanted to have it reslabbed by CBCS, would CBCS still recognize the signature series or would it have to be done under VSP?
please use search feature. Lots of threads on that one 😁
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

please use search feature. Lots of threads on that one 😁

Yes or no would have taken less time to type :p thanks I'll do a search.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yes, CBCS recognizes CGC yellow labels. But CGC don't recognize CBCS yellow.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:

Thanks, exactly what I figured.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn, thats a dick move.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootNote
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn, thats a dick move.

CGC want to have a strangle hold on the market *cough* ECCC C2E2 *cough*

CBCS want to make themselves accessible to all collectors, main reason why I've migrated over. Plus they have a nice presence at Canadian shows.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn, thats a dick move.

CGC want to have a strangle hold on the market *cough* ECCC C2E2 *cough*

CBCS want to make themselves accessible to all collectors, main reason why I've migrated over. Plus they have a nice presence at Canadian shows.

I currently have zero slabbed comics. Well, technically I have one in the mail that I bought from eBay.

Two main reasons I decided to go with CBCS, first is they will validate signatures which is pretty awesome. Second is I simply I enjoy the label more.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@FootNote your gonna fist cbcs? 😂
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:

I feel like I am missing something here?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

It's phrasing. He's having fun with your typo lol.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's phrasing. He's having fun with your typo lol.

It honestly took me this long to realize I typed fist, not first.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600771 79 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?