Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Kirby

Kid Colt Outlaw #110 “ Poor Man’s Fantastic Four #5 1st Doctor Doom “21221

Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
This book was put out by Marvel within around a year of FF#5, around the time Marvel tried to revive depressed western title books by introducing superhero elements like this character Iron Mask, a few monster and sci-if covers, to Kid Colt, Two Gun Kid and Rawhide Kid.All these books had Kirby covers, some had Kirby interior pencils and all were written by Stan Lee.

This “rebranding” by Marvel began with Rawhide Kid #17, followed in 1961 or 1962 with Two-Gun Kid #60.

Considering the price jumps on virtually everything related to Dr Doom with the MCU Doom news, I would have thought that this book would have seen increased attention, but it hasn’t.

Pricecharting.com has some sales at around $150-175 for raw ungraded 2.0-4.0’s, I know this because I have been sitting on 2 or 3 copies of KCO 110 for years.

This book has nosedived over the past year, which just seems odd to me.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Are you suggesting that because the cover depicts a villain in an iron mask, the comic is somehow related to Dr. Doom?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten
Are you suggesting that because the cover depicts a villain in an iron mask, the comic is somehow related to Dr. Doom?

Iron Mask is a Marvel western villian who was created by Kirby and Lee.

This book was selling for 200% to 400% of what it is selling for over the past few months compared to around a year ago, as price charting data shows below.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/comic-books-kid-colt-outlaw/kid-colt-outlaw-110-1963

If you look there, you’ll see a nosedive in sales figures over the past few months.

That’s odd.

Though, one seller listed around 5 CGC graded copies of KCO 110 a few months ago at a median price of $100, I think that put a hurting on the perceived FMt - buy they all sold quickly.- within a few days of being listed IIRC.

If you are a collector of GA and SA Marvel westerns, you would know what I’m talking about, in general terms.

I would suggest this Marvel westerns thread for more info, but it is upwards of 300 pages long so the search function would be good.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/156903-marvel-westerns-silver-age/page/110/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Optic_Blast private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briten

If this book had come out a few months earlier, I'm sure the title of this thread would have been, "Poor Man's Tales of Suspense #39, 1st Iron Man".
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisNuclearSS2020
Considering the price jumps on virtually everything related to Dr Doom with the MCU Doom news, I would have thought that this book would have seen increased attention, but it hasn’t.

That's because it isn't Dr. Doom.

Quote:
I know this because I have been sitting on 2 or 3 copies of KCO 110 for years.

Okay, now it makes sense.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optic_Blast
Quote:

Quote:

It isn’t Dr. Doom.

I didn’t say it was Dr.Doom, nor a prototype-this book was printed after FF 5.

Maybe read up on this topic in the Marvel Westerms thread, guy. 🤔
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

It isn’t Dr. Doom.

I didn’t say it was Dr.Doom, nor a prototype-this book was printed after FF 5.

Maybe read up on this topic in the Marvel Westerms thread, guy. 🤔

No you didn't say it was Dr. Doom, but you tried to connect this character to Dr. Doom by saying it was a "poor man's ff #5 and mentioning how surprised you were that this book isn't going up like other Dr, Doom's appearances. Maybe reread what you wrote. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks you're implying this character is somehow related to Dr. Doom.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Briten @PolarisNuclearSS2020 @Optic_Blast

Im just offended by the implication of only being able to afford an appearance of some vaguely similar character over any other Dr Doom appearance.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Well apparently the OP isn't the only one that's trying to connect the two characters.

Post 9 IP   flag post
I guess if FF #5 goes to the stratosphere, then this book may be the one to chase. Dr. Doom prototype y'all.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
I guess if FF #5 goes to the stratosphere, then this book may be the one to chase. Dr. Doom prototype y'all.

Quote:
Well apparently the OP isn't the only one that's trying to connect the two characters.

Kindly stop.

I did not say the character introduced in KCO #110 is a prototype of Dr Doom, I posted KCO 110 was published after FF 5.

The character introduced in KCO 100 was created by Stan Lee, Kirby drew the cover and Ayers did the interior art.

If you’re familiar with silver age marvel westerns, you would know that Stan Lee added superhero elements to new characters, had Kirby draw up new supervillain styled villains and monster covers.

Rawhide Kid 22, Kid Colt 100 and so on.

Lee saw that his superhero comics were selling briskly while western comic sales were down.

Lee effectively copied his own successful superhero characters, this has been discussed in length in the Marvel westerns thread on the CGC forums.
Post 11 IP   flag post
619041 11 11
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.