Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Collectors SetsCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPGrading Help Needed

New to grading and i could use some help2100

Collector Brucewayne0483 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello forums! Im new to the whole grading scene and i have a few questions regarding the verification signiture process and overall grading in general. I have a Walking dead #9 first print signed by kirkman and moore also a hulk #340 signed by mcfarelin and secret wars #8 and the other 11 issues of secret wars. Ive been looking into getting them graded but not sure if its worth it all are nm except the hulk 340 some yellowing and a few spine cracks. The cover with the signature is vibrant and a very nice signature. I have alot of graphic novels to read but would like to start a actual collection. So i guess my question is it worth getting them graded and having the signatures authenticated?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Fredyelias private msg quote post Address this user
I would say it depends. If you are looking to flip them then it's worth getting them graded. If they are to stay in your personal collection maybe invest in some top loaders to keep them safer.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Brucewayne0483 private msg quote post Address this user
They are staying in my collection and im looking to display them in my office
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Bruce..welcome to the group .

Sounds like some nice stuff...hopefully you'll be enjoying them for a long time, so with that being said, there's no harm in trying out a couple books and seeing if you like the whole process.

sig. verification starts to add up and top loaders are a great idea as Fredyelias said, but it comes down to personal preference . McF.,Kirkman and Moore are awesome sigs and the books are cool books.

The only other thing you have to consider is hanging a book on a wall for long periods if there's sunlight . One summer of that and your cover's will fade pretty fast...I'm not even sure the UV stickers help that much, so maybe someone on the boards has some solid knowledge ( I just hear stuff ).

Anyway, enjoy
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Johnny_B private msg quote post Address this user
I found these guys a couple of months back. I have not purchased from them yet, but I plan too.

http://stores.thecollectorsresource.com/uv-safe-museum-edition-pods/
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewayne0483
They are staying in my collection and im looking to display them in my office

Last time I checked Ikea had frames for $2 that were the right size to fit a raw comic book.

If you have a high grade book it might look better with the slab and the grade but if you just want to display them the frames might be the way to go.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS please impregnate your PETG with UV protection. Yes im gonna use every opportunity to say that 😎

@Brucewayne0483
This summer I'm going to experiment with a few stick-on filters with some cheap graded books. Quick google search gives me this
http://www.slab-pro.com/shop-uvprotectors.asp

I hang LOTS of books 😁👍🏻 I use eGerber mylites (UV protection, dont skimp on the thickness!) inside of a BCW toploader.

I then take a hole punch and go through the top center of the BCW, then hang it with clear 3M command strips.

Note you'll need mag sized BCWs to fit golden age mylites, I'd suggest getting several sizes from both companies.

Or, you can have them graded, experiment with the stick-ons and let me know how that goes 😁🍺

Post 7 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Yup, me too!@shrewbeer I'm beginning to think your my brother from another mother LOL!

Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The Comic Skin slabs have been tested to be 99% UV protective.

Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Brucewayne0483 Another thing to consider when deciding if you should get the signatures verified is how long it may be before your heirs might have to deal with your collection after you're gone. A slabbed and verified comic is much easier for them to sell for a good value than a raw unverified comic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Watcher send in a couple. See if it's your thing and if you like what you get for your money. Some people are very very opposed to any slab grading service. Some people love graded books. Only you can answer which one you are. If you decide to send a couple in do some pregrading work. Take some notes maybe a front and back cover scan and what your opinion is on the grade of the book. Doing this is one of the best ways to start teaching yourself how to grade. It sounds like your on the fence from just becoming a reader type of collector to jumping into full blown collector mode. The better you can grade the less money you'll be likely to waste on over graded books.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The Comic Skin slabs have been tested to be 99% UV protective.

You got my hopes up there for a minute. Might be great for the OP however.

I really want to display CBCS books. I'll have to do a bit more research but so far have not found proof of a skin that protects (hint hint cbcs upcharge for impregnated petg!)

I have an order processing now that has multiple duplicates. I plan on taking two of them this summer and placing them directly in front of a sliding glass door on the south side of the house. I'll use a few different stick-on products. End of summer I'll crack them out and compare them to a raw one that has been in a dark closet and see what happened.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome aboard. If you have the extra funds, I like what @JWKyle says about giving it a try. Do not be disappointed though if the grades come back lower than you were hoping. My first batch that I sent out to CBCS was pretty cool to get back and they look awesome. I sent books that I thought were really clean books and I was supprised not to see one of them come back at 9.8 So it has been an intersting education here on the forum about collecting and sending books off to get graded. I feel more confident on what to look for when sending books in now. The bottom line is just to educate yourself and get books graded that make you happy. I also like the idea of using the top loaders. I have some con sketches and signed prints in larger top loaders that I keep on display in my comic book room. Someday, I will get them all in frames. IKEA has some really affordable frames that I have used on some of my art and original pages that I have. I need to huy some UV film to put over the top, but my comicbook room stays dark most of the time with no window light present.
Post 13 IP   flag post
601210 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?