Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics ForeignComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

UK price stamps20989

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
An area I am interested in collecting is US-published books, specifically DC war titles, with UK price stamps. Has anyone got any good places to look for these? Any resources on when US publishers began sending US-priced books and when pence variants replaced them?

I enjoy collecting foreign variants and reprints, but find these stamped books are especially intriguing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
An area I am interested in collecting is US-published books, specifically DC war titles, with UK price stamps. Has anyone got any good places to look for these? Any resources on when US publishers began sending US-priced books and when pence variants replaced them?

I enjoy collecting foreign variants and reprints, but find these stamped books are especially intriguing.
As I recall; through the 60's and into early 70's. This time period included the domestic monetary change in February 1971 methinks.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley is your guy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42

Marvel began doing pence printed prices in 1960 while DC was much later in 1971. Both continued pence-unique pricing until late 1981 before the dual cents/pence covers of the direct editions. However, not all titles or issues ended up with pence-printed prices during the time frames when Marvel and DC were printing them. We'll stick with DC since that seems to be your interest.

It seems that pence-stamped prices are more the norm for DC than to have pence printed. So, for DC, anything sent to the UK before July 1971 should be stamped by the newsagent with the pence price. From 1971 to 1981, you'll have to actually see the book to determine if it is stamped or printed. Sometimes, there is also the pence-printed and pence-stamped version. Unfortunately, I'm not positive when DC began distributing comics to the UK, but there are definitely Silver Age books with stamps.

This site can provide use on which titles and issues are pence-printed.

30th Century Comics is one shop I use. Good guys, decent grading. Here is their War section.

Incognito Comics sometimes gets some of the War comics in.

Close Encounters in Northampton is a shop I've used for pence copies in the past.

Even if these shops don't have what you are looking for, they could point you in the direction of another shop or resource who could help you on your quest.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley That is a fantastic start, thank-you.

I work for a UK-based company; I think I need to start agitating for a trip to the home office, since they keep sending me all over the US for stupid reasons.
Post 5 IP   flag post
615425 5 5