Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS PressingCBCS Signature VSPQuestions

Re-Certifying (Re-Grading) Comics - Strikeouts, On Base, and Home Runs.20792

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
There are a number of reasons why some of us submit previously encased comics for re-grading / certification.
Maybe it's to have a previous cgc green label VSP'd.
Maybe it is an early generation cgc that you either feel might get graded higher or it is time to get it into a better archival suited encasement.
Maybe upon inspection, if you bought already encased, you can see that it would benefit from a Pressing ( @SteveRicketts and his crew work miracles) or you sent in raw and didn't request a press and now after seeing the graders notes, you reconsider.
Maybe you are having it cracked for a signing event and, well, let's face it, $#!+ can happen when handling comics and signing en masse, so it is a good idea to at least press screen if you're having your comic signed.
Maybe you just don't like or trust cgc encasements and prefer CBCS or vice versa.
Maybe you just don't like Rivet labels or clip encasement and want only CBCS Sonic-welds
There could be any number of reasons why we do it. I know I have fallen into each of the above categories. Regardless, this thread is not about why, but more about the successes and cautionary tales.

Please feel free to share yours.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I will start this off with...an oopsie. Most of you know that I firm believer that cgc over-grades with regularity and CBCS is much more consistent, if not stricter, in adhering to grading standards, which is one of the main reasons I use them for my collection. That said, when buying a cgc encased comic online, I usually assume it is at least 1 grade and sometimes 2 grades over-graded. I recently won 2 auctions at Comiclink. I have provided the before scans and under each, the new CBCS Certification number and grades. Biggest problem is from the back of the comics which ComicLink usually does not scan.

Chaos Effect Alpha (1994) 1B CBCS 9.2 (24-11A7DFA-005) 2 grade ooof!

Chaos Effect Omega (1994) 1B CBCS 9.4 (24-11A7DFA-006) 2 grade ooof!

Needed the Alpha (Red Variant) in my collection and already had the Omega (Gold Variant) in a 9.6, but was hoping for an upgrade. Unfortunately, this is not atypical.

On a side note, the 9.2 Alpha stands as the SHGE in CBCS Population Report while my previous 9.6 Omega Gold is still the SHGE and the new 9.4 is the Single 2nd HGE in the CBCS Population Report.

My quest for CBCS encased 9.8 versions continue.
Post 2 IP   flag post
In the On-Base side, in that same ComicLink auction, I bid on and won an Eternal Warrior 1 (Gold Embossed Variant). When I bid on it, I expected it actually be a 9.6 but hoped for a 9.8.

Eternal Warrior (1992) 1GOLDEMBOSSED CBCS 9.8 (24-11A7DFA-007)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Now for another example, though not technically a re-certification, it does attest to the rigorous grading @MyComicShop . I recently made an offer and acquired a raw Birth of the Defiant Universe (signed by Jim Shooter) through MyComicShop.com. MCS had assigned a Grade of 9.4. Below is the before pics and under is the CBCS certification:

Batter up...Crack! We have a long fly ball...it's going, it's going,... Home Run!

Birth of the Defiant Universe (1993) 1 CBCS 9.8 VSP Shooter (24-11A7DFA-001) will post the pic in the New to My Collection thread soon.

On a side note, I have NEVER been burned buying a raw comic via MCS. It has always come back in at least their assigned grade or higher.
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
This my home run. I bought it graded; my first slab ever. Over the following years I learned more about how to grade. I became convinced it was a 9.8. I cracked it out myself and gave it to CBCS with no press. CBCS agreed!

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
Remove the human element and judgement which is where AI will come in. A digital scan of the entire book inside and out will be the determining factor. You set up a digital standard and this way it will be the same across the board for all companies.. Plus this will crack down on these folks trying to scam the community as per the issues at CGC... I give it a few years and we shall see the machines rise and take over the comic book industry!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dosselmeyer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator

On a side note, I have NEVER been burned buying a raw comic via MCS. It has always come back in at least their assigned grade or higher.

It's actually to a point I am mildly upset when their grading is actually accurate and not higher than what they listed!

I find they are pretty accurate at 3.5 and below and typically 1-2 grades off on mid-grade to VF stuff.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dosselmeyer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorCntyComicColl
Remove the human element and judgement which is where AI will come in. A digital scan of the entire book inside and out will be the determining factor. You set up a digital standard and this way it will be the same across the board for all companies.. Plus this will crack down on these folks trying to scam the community as per the issues at CGC... I give it a few years and we shall see the machines rise and take over the comic book industry!!!

I doubt it - there is too much "art" to actual grading. It won't be impossible for very advanced machine learning to "figure this out" in the future but I think we are still a bit away.

Exception - the buying public just accepts the "opinion" of our machine overlords and we go with it. But is a machine really going to be able to differentiate the nuances of stains/ tanning/ foxing?

You can tell a machine that a 1" color breaking crease is an 8.5. What happens if it's right in the middle of the cover over Spider-man's face? What if it's on the back cover in a "very visually busy" ad and is very hard to see without close scrutiny?

It's these "judgment calls" I have a hard time believing that AI will be able to pull off with any sort of consistency.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
A combination of AI with a Human "check" is, imo, very possible.
In other words don't rely fully on AI.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It's not as hard as you would think.

If you have that book of spider-man that is itself a flawless book to start out with, there is your benchmark. Easy to scan and compare with software today. If you don't have a flawless copy, you digitally create it and use it as a benchmark. Crease in the middle of the page or stains/tanning/foxing? A no brainer for basic computer graphics which would immediately pick that up.

The scary bit is having a machine that can open the book and flip and scan every page!

I am surprised they haven't started using this technology. But if they did I can see some of my 9.8s not being true 9.8s... Maybe this CGC problem they ran into may force the issue.
Post 10 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I re-graded 3 GSX #1 and 2 IH 181

It went from:
GSX 1:
GCG 7.0
CGC 6.0
CGC 5.0

IH 181:
CGC 6.0
CGC 4.0

TO:
GSX 1:
CBCS 6.0
CBCS 5.0
CBCS 4.0

IH 181
CBCS 6.0
CBCS 4.5
Post 11 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
So, this was a win for me. Bought this book on eBay for cheap, and the seller did an awful job packing it. They literally used trash as packing material, including mail with other people's addresses on it.

Slab arrived scuffed, and the book had some really obvious bends. Just looked terrible. I probably could have buffed out the slab, but the book would still have looked bad inside.

Sent it back to CBCS for pressing and re-grading, and it came back the exact same grade. But it looks a thousand percent better. As bent as it looked in the slab before, I half expected a grade drop. So the same grade is great.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Something I wanted to explain to the younger collectors that love to slab books as opposed to keeping them raw. I was buying books as a kid back in the late 70's and 80's. This is a copy of Ka-Zar the Savage #1 from 1981 that Brent Anderson signed at a Chicago Con back in 1981 when I bought it right when it came out. I am thinking about getting it slabbed by CBCS for signature authentication though the book does have some color breaking spine tics.

You cant grasp the nostalgia (or as I call it the pain) in slabbed books when I read thru some of these books prior to getting them slabbed especially from the ads at that time.. from Mile High Comics... oh the pain to see some key books at those prices!!!!!

Check out Hulk #181 and X-Men #94 prices!!

Oh the good old days!!!

Post 13 IP   flag post
615425 13 13