Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics PedigreesComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Informative Site2077

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
This site has blog posts on things like comic pedigrees, production defects and other subjects of interest:

http://www.comicpressing.com/blog.php

Worth a read IMO, so wanted to share.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Do they have any good Pancake Recipes?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
First guy I've ever seen that's willing to sell his recipe. Really not sure how to digest that...๐Ÿค”

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
This site has blog posts on things like comic pedigrees, production defects and other subjects of interest:

Where are the blog posts? Latest one i can find is from 2012. Avengers movie review.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer Wow, that guy has figured out how to make $187.50 an hour playing with comic books!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yes, the sale of the pancake recipe is...somewhat questionable! But the blog posts are not bad.

@KingNampa, you can click "older posts" or navigate to earlier dates on the bottom righthand corner of the page.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@shrewbeer Wow, that guy has figured out how to make $187.50 an hour playing with comic books!

Yup lol but who knows if the recipe is good? I cant imagine many people actually buy it unless he has a reputation I'm unaware of ๐Ÿ˜†

@CFP_Comics Joey please do this just before you retire, we know your recipe is good and you can make a good bit of loot!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Joey and Steve both need to be training Padawans. The Force is strong with them both, and we need to ensure the next generation doesn't run out of Pancakes!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing takes experience. While there is undoubtedly things that can be taught, it's really something you must do to become good at.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Is this for real?

โ€œShipment to CGC is FREE of charge. Once every month, a shipment is mailed to CGC offices via USPS Priority Mailโ€

or perhaps he works/lives nearby and just drops them off
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Joey and Steve both need to be training Padawans. The Force is strong with them both, and we need to ensure the next generation doesn't run out of Pancakes!

As it stands now we are all going to starve, and the good side of the force will be all but forgotten. CAK will be there to pull us into the dark side ๐Ÿ–๐Ÿฟ
Post 11 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

He's in to promoting comic shows now. That web site was basically an ad for services that were, well, draw your own conclusions.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The blog posts about pedigrees were what initially caught my eye. I'm pretty sure anyone coming across that site will not hire the guy for a "full day of pressing" for $1500, no matter how he is advertising his services.
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
At least one person did. The pedigree information was lifted from other Web sites.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Pressing takes experience. While there is undoubtedly things that can be taught, it's really something you must do to become good at.

I said all of that when I said the word Padawan.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

That's nice, I suppose.

Still, spending $1500 for a day of learning is a waste. What a person needs to do if they want to learn how to press is to buy the equipment, and press a few thousand books, from all eras and types.

That's how you learn.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's nice, I suppose.

Still, spending $1500 for a day of learning is a waste. What a person needs to do if they want to learn how to press is to buy the equipment, and press a few thousand books, from all eras and types.

That's how you learn.

While I don't disagree and i wouldn't personally spend $1500 for something like this, for a beginner who is really interested in pressing and does not have any idea on what equipment to even buy, i can see the value in this. Most (if not all) pressers don't really give any information away so research on how to become a good presser can be kind of difficult for a newbie. And to a lot of youngins these days, $1500 isn't necessarily a lot of money. I have seen high schoolers driving BMW's and high end Audi's. Plus, as a beginner, it can be kind of scary pressing a silver age or golden age book for the first time if you have no idea what you are doing; and getting a lot of cheap practice material from those eras that aren't beat up beyond pressing needs, isn't necessarily easy.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's nice, I suppose.

That's how you learn.

While I don't disagree and i wouldn't personally spend $1500 for something like this, for a beginner who is really interested in pressing and does not have any idea on what equipment to even buy, i can see the value in this. Most (if not all) pressers don't really give any information away so research on how to become a good presser can be kind of difficult for a newbie. And to a lot of youngins these days, $1500 isn't necessarily a lot of money. I have seen high schoolers driving BMW's and high end Audi's. Plus, as a beginner, it can be kind of scary pressing a silver age or golden age book for the first time if you have no idea what you are doing; and getting a lot of cheap practice material from those eras that aren't beat up beyond pressing needs, isn't necessarily easy.

$1500 isn't that much money...?

Well, hell, sign me up!

The key to learning, even on Silver and Gold books, is to buy cheap copies...they do exist...and practice.

For example, you can get lots of Sgt. Fury, or westerns, or other genres, from the same era as the expensive books, in decent enough shape to practice.

Here's one such lot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sgt-Fury-16-20-22-26-Annual-2-avg-VG-3-5-Marvel-1965-No-Reserve-/132051280417?hash=item1ebedea221%3Ag%3AVDEAAOSw-0xYaXXe&nma=true&si=bNkWI2j8d00BospjrQjlwBuudJg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

8 books, made of the same material as the big books, at less than $2/copy. And that took me all of a minute to find.

And, if $1500 isn't that much, it can't be TOO nerve wracking to press a high dollar book..right?
Post 18 IP   flag post
And there's plenty of information out there about the equipment. If there's not, it's pretty basic: a Seal dry mount press of one flavor or another. Start there.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Again, this isn't my point of view ($1500 is a lot of money and I wouldn't ever spend it on that). I'm just saying that people pay high dollar for training on various things all the time so i would not go as far as to say no one is gonna pay that for that service.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
Again, this isn't my point of view ($1500 is a lot of money and I wouldn't ever spend it on that). I'm just saying that people pay high dollar for training on various things all the time so i would not go as far as to say no one is gonna pay that for that service.

Right, I wouldn't either. A fool and his money and all that. As someone said, at least one person did.
Post 21 IP   flag post
On the same note, plenty of people spend upwards of $1500 on books. It costs several hundred dollars just to get a few books graded, when taking into account shipping and other expenses.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'd pay a few grand to work with Steve or Joe for a week, and wouldnt think twice about it. That actually sounds like a nice florida vacation to me ๐Ÿ˜. A dry press is only abt 1% of a good recipe and the good ones keep it very well guarded.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer, that's a good idea. They could convene a pressing camp.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
P.T. Barnum
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I'd pay a few grand to work with Steve or Joe for a week, and wouldnt think twice about it. That actually sounds like a nice florida vacation to me ๐Ÿ˜. A dry press is only abt 1% of a good recipe and the good ones keep it very well guarded.

Well, by all means, hit them up, see if they'll take you up on the offer. It's not about the AMOUNT of the money...it's about the VALUE of the purchase.

1%? I'd say the press is about 75% of the "recipe."

I know people who can do a mediocre press job with just a press and no experience.

I don't know anyone who can do a press job with lots of experience and no press.

By the way...pressing is an artform, as much as a science. The "good ones keep it guarded" because they don't understand that being a good presser is a function not just of skill, but talent, temperament, and personality.

Anybody can squash comics.

Anybody.

But only people with the right talent, temperament, and personality will ever be GOOD at it. So, there's no need to "keep secret" all the "secrets." That's like keeping secret how to be an NBA player. All the knowledge in the world will never make you Kobe.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I've had too many books pressed by "the guy at LCS who has a press". Mediocre=damage. They look squished, airless, razor sharp spines, ran over by a mack truck; and alltogether the recipe produces a crepe'.

And then there's the very small handful of guys out there that dont count much on their press to "press" a book. I've learned that the word "press" in "Comic pressing" is very deceiving.

Yes anyone can squash a book. Very select few can "press" a book without squashing it!

ps @DocBrown if you missed it from a while back, gotta be careful; sharing experiences/recipes is forbidden here due to so many people sending in damaged books believing they could just squish it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
I've had too many books pressed by "the guy at LCS who has a press". Mediocre=damage. They look squished, airless, razor sharp spines, ran over by a mack truck; and alltogether the recipe produces a crepe'.

And then there's the very small handful of guys out there that dont count much on their press to "press" a book. I've learned that the word "press" in "Comic pressing" is very deceiving.

Yes anyone can squash a book. Very select few can "press" a book without squashing it!

Then we are (mostly) in agreement.

Quote:

ps @DocBrown if you missed it from a while back, gotta be careful; sharing experiences/recipes is forbidden here due to so many people sending in damaged books believing they could just squish it.

I'm aware of Dice's statement on that, yes, but thank you for sharing it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

@shrewbeer Then we are (mostly) in agreement.

I'm aware of Dice's statement on that, yes, but thank you for sharing it.

There, I fixed that for all the folks like me who get headaches from TL;DR quote text walls.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I have a friend with a nice griddle, but I'll be damned if he's going to press my expensive pancakes no matter how good he thinks he is.

He can knock out moderns pretty easily, but he hasn't had enough practice on SA, GA books to be my "go-to guy".
Post 30 IP   flag post
596786 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?