Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Very interesting and informative thread...thanks for starting.

Marty
Post 26 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann the thanks actually goes to @sagii for starting a thread asking for a pinned pedigree thread and to all the forum members that spoke up on that thread.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O 🍻
Post 28 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii 🍻
Post 29 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post

@southerncross sweeeeet!! 😃
Post 31 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Davis Crippen (""D"" Copy)

Post 32 IP   flag post
Davis Crippen (""D"" Copy)

Post 33 IP   flag post
Gaines File pedigree

Post 34 IP   flag post
THE RUBEN BLADES COLLECTION, THE COLLECTION OF NICOLAS CAGE and THE COLLECTION OF AL WILLIAMSON.

Post 35 IP   flag post
@OGJackster Nice books my friend! Love the Jo-Jo's, and a Nic Cage books in the bunch as well!
Post 36 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
The first German Edition White Mountain Pedigree copies...

Post 37 IP   flag post

Post 38 IP   flag post

Post 39 IP   flag post

Post 40 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Cool foreign books. Who knew White Mountain had international books in the collection? Not me..
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Cool foreign books. Who knew White Mountain had international books in the collection? Not me..

Ken Neily was stationed in Germany in 1968' and bought books while there and shipped them home so he could continue his collection.
I just learned this last week from a family member.
That was the only way to get them approved by CGC.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 Gems!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Silverado private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting thread. I read all the posts and there are some neat books posted. Thanks for those pics!

I still don't understand the appeal of the pedigree designation. At the end of the day, if pedigrees fetch a premium, they are even less appealing because I would rather have the best copy that I can afford of whatever book I am trying to collect rather than a crappier copy that came from some collection of this or that person. If Joe Blow had a really small personal collection but he kept his surfer books pristine, I want to buy those rather than a book that has the same price tag because it has a golden label and happened to have been stuffed in a dank box in the "Purple Gully Collection". Maybe it matters more for really high-end collectors? But even then, these collections are now broken up as people are just collecting one or two books from that collection so the value of the collection is gone.

Can someone liken these to something that is collectible elsewhere for indirect reasons? When I think of money, it is condition, uncirculated bills or errors that typically drive up the price and none of those seem similar. This isn't like an item from a movie set because those are one-off props not copies of regularly circulated copies of publications. Typically, these aren't even from a "celebrity" connected to the book/character. Even if a celebrity also collected comics and happened to own a book I wanted I can't see paying a premium for those books. Let's say Dolly Parton collected Silver Surfer books and I could afford a 9.4 or an 8.5 from the "Dolly Parton Collection" my wallet (which speaks directly to me) would say "Dolly collected crappy books, buy the 9.4 that was owned by random people".

I am hoping to be sold on these because it would give me an excuse to collect something else
Post 44 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@Silverado In many cases, pedigree books are the highest graded copies in existence. I think the high prices for pedigree books that aren't the highest grades in existence is often due to their proximity to those books. And you are also paying for the story.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Unless it's a golden age pedigree book like a Church, Gaines, etc. there are golden age pedigrees that don't command more money then a non pedigree book in the same grade.

Why I have so many silver age pedigrees.
Because they are worth the same price as a non pedigree book in the same grade so I bought the pedigree book. It's like a bonus for free.
And I do enjoy reading about the history of pedigree books and how they were collected and kept.

White mountain copy in 9.4 values at the same price as any other 9.4.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the thread. I had never heard of the Cookeville Pedigree and was shocked to find out it was named that after my hometown - little Cookeville, TN.
Post 47 IP   flag post

Crowley copy
Post 48 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
These are the only ones we have left.

Post 49 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would really like to find a pedigree copy of Fantastic Four 186.
Post 50 IP   flag post

Post 51 IP   flag post

Post 52 IP   flag post

Post 53 IP   flag post
New Hampshire books were given pedigree status after they sold into the market so you can find them out in the wild. I found this one in the Metropolis Comics inventory.
Post 54 IP   flag post
These early OFF books are non-existent in a decent grade and page qaulity...
Post 55 IP   flag post
616095 180 30