Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS Collectors SetsCBCS EventsCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASP

Cbcs labels20336

Collector Deceptionking420 private msg quote post Address this user
Why do they not allow custom labels? Can we not submit our own little label when we submit our comics? And they put their things on it? It's just my view of it. Looks bland even on the other one or other competitors. All there's look bland unless they have custom labels. Maybe I am eccentric and I like the fact it has more stuff of top. Some people see it as some people can see it as it's more direct and business like just with the wording. And on top of that with the label itself, they can keep the color but I mean, adding a character changing the wording to a different. Anybody feel the same way i'm just wondering.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SixgunSamurai private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t like the character labels the other guys do. The comic cover should be the focus. The label shouldn’t distract from it. Beyond that, the original idea was just to verify the condition of the comic. The comic was the collectible and the encapsulation was just to provide an unbiased third party evaluation of the condition of the comic. Now the slab itself is a collectible for some, and the limited time labels are part of that. I’m not interested in that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
While it adds an element that many CGC owners love, it could be difficult. CGC probably has an exclusive license with Marvel to put the images on their label. Either DC doesn't want it or they're too expensive to make it worth the trouble.

I've seen a few YouTubers suggest they could put an interior signature on the back of the label. That would add an element that allows you to still see the signature even though it's on the inside. If they did that I might even request artists sign inside so it doesn't distract from the cover.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
I hate overly cluttered labels, they look too busy. The focus should be on the comic and the label shouldn't be a distraction. I personally avoid custom labels (I don't own a single one) and are less likely to buy any graded comic that has them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Wish I could get slabs with no front-visible labels. No grade, nothing - just a laser etched back cover with some RFID type encoding, perhaps with linkage to blockchain.

I think I’m an outlier - book, authentication, protection. That’s it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
@Deceptionking420, I would like for them to do customize labels also.

I sent a couple of books to another grader (Not the one we shall not mention) who made custom labels for the books I sent in.

I really like the labels that he created for me, and I think the labels added to the visual look of the books, as it was the same colors as the book cover.

I know that the hardcore collectors/sellers do not like the ideal, but for those of us who collect for personal collection it would be great.
Post 6 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Wish I could get slabs with no front-visible labels. No grade, nothing - just a laser etched back cover with some RFID type encoding, perhaps with linkage to blockchain.

https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-pricing
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely wouldn't mind if they made it an option. I'm fine with not having the option either. I feel sort of bad saying it, but it seems like EGC just lets you put whatever you want on the label and they look awful- just really unprofessional.

I think Beckett nailed it with the Manga label options. They look like they actually hired a graphic designer who knew what they were doing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmistoso
Quote:

You had my hopes up then they came crashing down.

I mean no label / no label section / but all the authentication, details etc… just not prominently displayed.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I still want them to make this an option for Blue labels and not just yellow. I've been asking for that for years!
Post 10 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I mean no label / no label section / but all the authentication, details etc… just not prominently displayed.

Sounds more like criteria for a utility belt than a comic.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds more like criteria for a utility belt than a comic.

You know my secret.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in the same house, always like the book to be the center of attention. I've seen a few comments, wow cool label, oh, nice book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:
Quote:

I still want them to make this an option for Blue labels and not just yellow. I've been asking for that for years!

I could’ve sworn the slab-only option is no longer just for yellow labels since the price no longer includes signature verification
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
I've said it before labels are eye candy. Important thing is accuracy of grade and quality of the case
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Someone mentioned licensing. It would makes sense if CGC had exclusive rights to produce custom labels. it would also makes sense if CBCS did not see them as a viable profit driver and/or didn’t want the headaches of keeping up with the licensing to produce custom labels.

I’m speculating and have no idea what the stance is for either side.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Someone mentioned licensing. It would makes sense if CGC had exclusive rights to produce custom labels. it would also makes sense if CBCS did not see them as a viable profit driver and/or didn’t want the headaches of keeping up with the licensing to produce custom labels.

I’m speculating and have no idea what the stance is for either side.

100% CGC is paying for the 'right' to use the images on the custom labels and 100% the contract has some sort of right of first refusal and likely exclusivity to the use of those custom labels.

That means CBCS would have to essentially enter a bidding war to get to use them - I have a feeling they would lose that battle.
Could they go after 'lesser' publishers - sure...but then the demand would be lesser too
Could you licence an image of the creator and work something with their estate - potentially -but again small amount of people who wold want that and for creators still alive they'll take the signature $$ first yes?

Simply not worth it for CBCS to chase a custom label
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
I send in every year a lot of books for other people. Dealer account....

When CGC's custom labels first came out, there was a lot of excitement about them. But collectors soon discovered that CGC treated custom labels as a separate submission. With separate SHIPPING fees and the $5 invoice fee. For me at least, very, VERY few people choose custom labels now.

So I suspect there is little financial reason to compete with CGC in this space. The money is not there. A business can make history and that's great. But making money leads to long term success.

However - I have for decades thought that there is some money to be made by grading companies offering some customized text on their labels. "Frank Smith's first purchased comic book". "To Tony with love from his loving wife/daughter/son". "George's bitchin copy of Iron Man 282" For me - for example - I would send in a couple of books where my letter of comment was printed in the letters page. With the notation "LOC by Tony Starks" or some such. Anyway, you get the idea. Just find the space on the label for 50 characters that collectors can customize. And make more $$$$
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Deceptionking420 private msg quote post Address this user
Damn thank you all for participating. I was meaning from the perspective of if the person who submissive economic has something that they can put up there with a label, a piece of artwork or even a small custom label they made themselves. Because that's what makes it custom. Not the ability just to have a d c or marvel but having anything there, So let's say you do have a d c comic book and it's a first appearance. Can you not pay for an artist to make you a label and put it there. When you submit the comicbook
Post 19 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceptionking420
Damn thank you all for participating. I was meaning from the perspective of if the person who submissive economic has something that they can put up there with a label, a piece of artwork or even a small custom label they made themselves. Because that's what makes it custom. Not the ability just to have a d c or marvel but having anything there, So let's say you do have a d c comic book and it's a first appearance. Can you not pay for an artist to make you a label and put it there. When you submit the comicbook
I asked Steve Borock quite a while before he left if I could get a custom notation some Batman knight fall books; if even as a slab only. I wanted to do some sort of “in memory of” notation for my brother being his favorite Batman arc. I followed up and got an indefinite answer of not being able to get a definitive answer. I took it as a soft no due to the subject matter. He did say he was going to bring it up in a meeting of some sort, but this was during their expansion and influx of demand. Not to say he was “too busy” for my inquiry, but they were bailing that ship with bottomless buckets for awhile😂
Post 20 IP   flag post
615415 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?