Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS PressingCBCS Signature ASPComics Bronze Age

Multiple Staples20168

Collector DoorCntyComicColl private msg quote post Address this user
Just recently I was pulling out a bunch of books from my PC (Its been about 40 years since I started going thru all of them) and found 3 copies of DareDevil #227 Newsstand edition from 1986... but as I was going thru the books to check on signatures, I noticed that all 3 of these books have an additional staple in them but not attached to the cover... only on the inside... on top of the 2 that are used to attach the cover.. I have never seen that and I can tell you these books still had the static to them (pages stuck together) and the new book smell as never read...

I had a couple of other Newsstand additions of DareDevil but none of those have that issue of additional staples. Will CBCS will ding these as part of the grading process? The books are flawless even though it's a manufacture issue(?) Not exactly a high key book but it would be cool to get them graded and as Newsstand offer them as "Come With Bonus Staples!"

The first image shows all 4 staples

This image shows the outer cover reflecting 2 staples

Thsi image shows the inside cover where you see the 2 original and then the 2 holding the cover on...

Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DoorCntyComicColl - I hadn’t seen this on a “newer” book, but have seen it on several Silver Age comics. I know I own at least one example that I can try to find pictures of. It’s a printing “defect” that happens when the stapling machine runs out of covers, causing a book with no cover to be stapled. Those coverless copies are returned to the stapling machine so that a cover can be stapled onto it. The result is a book with two staples visible from the outside, but inside all four staples can be observed.
Post 2 IP   flag post
How does CBCS handle this scenario? Does grading get affected or is there any notation on the label about a manufacturer defect? I also noted this on CGC's forum and got mixed opinions on it. Again its not a key issue that impacts the FMV, but I have never seen this before..

Thx!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Anyone can claim a Mark Jewelers insert but who can claim a book that has 4 staples inserted by the manufacture.. and Newsstand copies to boot!! That becomes a more rarer book... That is the attitude I am going with!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DoorCntyComicColl - The extra staples will be noted as a Manufacturing Error on the grader’s notes and sometimes on the slab. These errors should not reduce the grade of the comic. However, they are not considered to be a desirable error, and rather than increasing the value of the book, could make it slightly more difficult to sell.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DoorCntyComicColl - Here are some pics of my X-Men #29 with extra staples.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@DoorCntyComicColl does happen from time to time.

Here is a wolverine comic

The machine ran out of covers when it was first stapled so put through again to have a cover put on.
So two staples in the cover and four in the comic pages.

I think books like these can get as high as a 9.8

I'm assuming they can never get a 9.9 or 10
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@DoorCntyComicColl - The extra staples will be noted as a Manufacturing Error on the grader’s notes and sometimes on the slab. These errors should not reduce the grade of the comic. However, they are not considered to be a desirable error, and rather than increasing the value of the book, could make it slightly more difficult to sell.
would that assume they can tell with certainty that it is an error and not added later? Like the cover being replaced or something?
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash They can tell when the staples have been opened, removed, a new cover attached, and the staples reclosed. The staples almost never line back up with the indents in the centerfold.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I originally went over to CGC forum to get any information and found this interesting tidbit in my research that I found somewhat helpful and interesting... It would explain some of the issues but still interested to hear what CBCS' view on this would be. Or as you stated a Manufacturer Error

A publisher requires a certain number of books to be produced.

During the bindery run, they have enough raw product to produce the run + a percentage predicted by the bindery allowed for waste.

Say the run is 100,000 books and the bindery expects 3% waste...They receive 103,000 books worth of raw product.

During the run there are books that jam up in the binder, or have odd flaws (untrimmed, unstapled, no cover, etc.).

Those books are stacked to the side until the end of the run.

When the raw product has been depleted, if the count doesn't add up to what the publisher ordered, they have to find a way to fill the order.

They go through the "reject" skid to find any books that can be salvaged. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they just have been produced incorrectly.

They take those books and piece together what they can.

These books are bound by hand, stitched (stapled) by hand, then hand trimmed on a flatbed cutter. Whatever they have to do on a book by book basis.

After "pulling rejects", if the order still has not been filled, they have to go back to press to run enough raw pieces to finish it off.

Again not a key issued book but a newsstand copy but will be interested to see what CBCS does when I submit it..
Post 10 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
Staple topics, nice.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
611386 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?