Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

How often do you look at your comic collection?19954

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
not much lately - have 9500 ish books - most titles I was following have now ended and I'm in a bit of a funk.

I say it every year but I really think next year I'll try to get them organized and either try selling as many as I can myself or just try to off them all at once - except maybe 1 or 2,000 that I really want to keep (Teen Titans run, Star Wars run etc. etc.)
Post 26 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

for the most part of a year I've been very active buying, selling, trading books and my comic room hasn't recovered yet, it is sooooooo disorganized. I do keep some of the more expensive books in the jeweler safe, holds quite a few books. My pc slabs, for the most part is alphabetical do pretty easy finding books, the raw books are a different story, I have boxes that are separated by keys, other are separated by collections I've picked up and when I'm looking for a certain book, I'm usually stuck for awhile thumbing through boxes and boxes. My wife is a clean nut, when it comes to the comic room, she just shuts the door, drives her nuts.she really wants me to take a box at a time and organize them, just haven't had the motivation to do so.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I hope that a jewlers safe is better for comics than a fireproof safe. Borock has a post of the dangers of a safe in the Cgc forums stickied.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jgwalters100 private msg quote post Address this user
I would say every few months.
25 slabs maybe 5 long boxes
Post 29 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I've had books in there since the early 90's, example, my ff48, been in the safe since'92, had it graded in 2018 and came back an 8.5 wp. Lots of books the same. It's not fireproof, just for theft. I have insurance on the collection but only covers half for theft
Post 30 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66

The concern isn't about the break in potential, it is the rusty staples. Apparently if you leave books in a safe for a long time without a dehumidifier or moisture wicking stuff the staples can rust.

Can't find cgc thread, but found a borock thread in the cbcs forums.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/10951/page/1/safes-for-comic/#11

Scroll down a tad to see his post
Post 31 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Currently down to 27 long boxes of raw books, but that's climbing again. Around 75 slabs. I spend a little time every day with my collection, either reading or organizing. I have three wall mounts for slabs outside the library that I rotate when I feel like a change.

I am far behind on my wife's collection; hers is in short and long boxes in the living room. Eventually, I would like to have everything in one space.

Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I read my comics daily. As far as just pulling them out and looking at them, not so much since I stacked a bunch of long boxes on top of each other in my closet. Very efficient space-wise but a real pain in the butt if I need to find something. I keep the batch I am currently reading within easy access. I have been working on making a comprehensive need list for the years 1985-1988 for the next show that I attend. I have these years in a chest of drawers for easier access.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp I see You've got the Doctor Who roleplaying game in your book case 👍

And Dungeons & Dragons Basic, Expert, companion and Masters and immortal set. I'm assuming the pink box is companion box set, it was green when I was playing.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I also have slabs on in desk.

I don't generally have the light on and it's a little dark around there. Still I don't have any high grade books sitting out in slabs.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross The pink box is an earlier edition of the basic set. I have the companion books, just not the box. I still play D&D regularly. Usually 1st edition AD&D is my game, but we are currently playing through this D&D basic module:

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@Rbolton 50 long boxes wow that’s a lot but hey everyone’s collection is different.
I actually plan on cutting my collection by at least half I bought 10 small boxes need to go thru everything to separate keepers and sellers. Will probably take the sellers to a local flea market as a comic guy sets up there pretty regularly hoping he might buy what I have.
Post 37 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Instead of quanity, I went for quality and rarity instead of having to deal with 10s of 1000s of books. I always focused on high grade, with specific areas like mainly GA and SA #1's, #nn's, promos, giveaways, 3-D, and Dell four colors and giants (file copies)
This kept be in a lower more manageable quantity (5000-ish books)with substantially higher value, than if I had collected the same books in lower grade with no focus. I would have ended up with too many books I didn't care about. Just my way of collecting. Here is a few pics of the crap I collected.

Post 38 IP   flag post
Nice grades. I'm always surprised when books that old are over 9.0
Post 39 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgwalters100
Nice grades. I'm always surprised when books that old are over 9.0
thanks. Borock says anything GA 7.5 or up is considered high grade. I always tried to stay 8.0 or better though.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Apparently, I am easily annoyed. Rbolton private msg quote post Address this user
@Murm its a lot, almost 35 yrs worth of buying, a lot of it was bought with the intent to sell at some point, I just have a bad procrastination habit.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbolton
@Murm its a lot, almost 35 yrs worth of buying, a lot of it was bought with the intent to sell at some point, I just have a bad procrastination habit.

Preach!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector PhilCoulson private msg quote post Address this user
I have 80+ slabs and 5-6 short boxes of raws. Just started back again in 2020 after selling off my small childhood collection in my 20s (a long time ago).

I collect raws until it get a decent sized stack and then pull out the short boxes and put them in mylars and file/sort them. For slabs, I have a series of J channel in my office that holds 50 slabs which I have displayed. It looks pretty cool I have to say. I know it's not the best to display this way but I have only a small lamp light on my desk and the overhead lights which aren't used much are LED. Windows are blacked out. There is a little indirect sunlight from another room but I usually keep the door closed and it's only in the morning.
Post 43 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have about 365 graded books. I have about 8 short boxes and 5 long boxes of raw books. I don't really pull the graded books out to look at them. It's easier to look at the scans I have on myslabbedcomics.com. I flip through those quite often.
Post 44 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Yeah I meant to include that I use Covrprice and love that I can see my collection at any time. I look at them at least once weekly.
Post 45 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I don't collect graded comics so no graded comics in my permanent collection. They only stay long enough for me to take pics and sell them. Although now I don't even have to deal with them much at all thanks to MCS. They go get graded at CBCS and then MCS picks them up for me to sell on their site.

Probably around 200k raw in my storage unit and 15K+ raw at home that I am going through and selling off.
I'm actually looking at them more now since I am selling everything off. I only have a list of what's at home with me. Never got around to making a list of what's in storage and now it's to big of a job for me.
It is cool to find stuff again that I forgot that I had though.

I watch the weekly comic lists so if I see if anything pop up that I have it goes up for sale while it's hot
Post 46 IP   flag post
@MutantMania Wow!
Post 47 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
My Card and comic book collection is much easier access and view after I completed my custom built wall cabinet a few years back using the Comic Drawer boxes. I have about 10,000 books and a couple 100 slabs.

Post 48 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
My Card and comic book collection is much easier access and view after I completed my custom built wall cabinet a few years back using the Comic Drawer boxes. I have about 10,000 books and a couple 100 slabs.

WOW!!! you have the most well organized and awesome looking storage!
Post 49 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort Thanks for the kind words, but I wouldn't go that far! While the cabinet helps keep things in order there are plenty of piled up corners that are edited out of those photos!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Really like that set up.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
it depends.

99% of it is in a temperature storage unit so dont really. the #1 i have in my place is my graded (which I do like looking over), anything I need to read (so yeah) or plan on grading eventually (same as graded)
Post 52 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Never. I have a few unopened MCS sub packages. The opened ones are in a pile on top of short boxes. I need to go through and purge, but I need time that I don’t have.

Do the other books count that are also in the piles? I looked at them when I opened them? If so then every few months.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Down to around 4,000 raw and 250 graded. Going to try to whittle down to just the 4 or 5 figure books. I have maybe 60 of those, and keep the stuff not valuable enough to sell, like the Savage Sword of Conan run.
65 years old now, hope to be done by age 70.
I look at them all the time, read different ones regularly. I will always have boxes of coverless to read. Currently keeping all the shipping boxes mailed to me, for future reuse.

Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
I have 4 short boxes, 1 long box and about 110 or so graded comics. I go through at least a few of the graded comics most days and read a few raws maybe once every week or 2. Pretty busy with job, house and 3 kids so I don't get as much time as I want with them. There's never enough time in a day!

When I retire I want to reno a proper comic room to display them more prominently so I don't have to dig through boxes to look at them, a room with no windows and only LED lights.
Post 55 IP   flag post
615425 62 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?