Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Thearrow private msg quote post Address this user
What do people use for a good fire proof safe for their valuable comics?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I think gun safes are often used.

I forget what they call the packets that absorb moisture from the air, but you definitely want to use those inside to keep your books dry.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Fire?Insurance😳
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
Dessicant packs to remove humidity.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied

Cool. I knew someone here would know. Is there a recommendation for how often you should replace them?
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied

Cool. I knew someone here would know. Is there a recommendation for how often you should replace them?
in most cases all these things are silica gel. I have two that you empty and bake in the oven to re dry them. I also have one that you plug into an outlet to dry it back out.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KYoung_1974 private msg quote post Address this user
When I was the onsite IT guy at a manufacturing company about 20 years ago, I had a guy come in and talk to me about disaster recovery best practices.

We were talking about fire proof safes for tape backups. He pointed out something that most people don't think about. You need to make sure your fireproof safe is also waterproof. A fireproof (nonwaterproof) safe is great if your house burns completely down, in like a wildfire. But most of the time, the FD shows up and starts spraying everything down with water. And that is where there is potential for things to get ruined.

In the case of a gun safe, it doesn't matter if the guns get wet. You just give them a good cleaning and you're good to go. Anyway, your mileage may vary, but it's food for thought.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The best assurance is www.collectinsure.com and an offsite storage location such as a top secret airplane hangar like myself.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Even if it makes it through fire,heat and water you still have to dill with smell.Its a killer.And how much for your bunker to rent kaptainmyke???😜
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
simple concept ...safe deposit box folks...prioritize your collection and take the hundred best books, lock them up and sleep soundly knowing despite whatever might happen to your home, the crème de crème is safe and miles away

Cost is maybe sixty dollars maximum, frees up storage space, and works despite fire , flood, theft, or door to door salesmen.

Or be Nicholas Cage, and watch as your Action walks off during a party because....no matter what you spend on home measures they are still only as good as the person using them ...
Post 10 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
The best assurance is www.collectinsure.com and an offsite storage location such as a top secret airplane hangar like myself.

I’m assuming you vetted Collector’s Insurance before approving their agents Top Secret clearance.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have a safe. My wife got me a fire proof bag last year, but I've often wondered how effective it would be?

And maybe this is the same for a safe, too?

But, if the safe/bag keeps the flames off of the books, isn't the outside temperature going to be enough make the pages brittle or at least affect them somehow?

I might be totally overthinking this, but I just think unless there's some serious insultation, temperature is going to get you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Be careful of putting comics in fireproof safes. We have seen heavy rust on staples AFTER being in a safe for awhile.
Check out this article:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-all-fuss-corrosion-gun-safes-tom-kubiniec/
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Be careful of putting comics in fireproof safes. We have seen heavy rust on staples AFTER being in a safe for awhile.
Check out this article:
I thought we have talked about this before. At the time I couldn’t understand why a safe would be bad, nice link. I’ve never kept my books in my safe to begin with but as far as guns go they kind of have to be locked up. I’ve found an oiling every 6 months if not used works also. As far as books, I’m not sure what type of lube to put on them🤣
Post 14 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Check out this article:

Steve, I’ve seen the research and agree 100% that if thinking along those lines, one should be mindful of this. If selecting a fireproof safe for protecting comics do lots of research, choose wisely and don’t do it on the cheap.

As you know, I’ve favored a Phoenix UL approved data grade safe for many years with no ill effects to staples. This isn’t a plug for a specific brand, but rather a reference point. This is the fireproof safe that has worked well for me. I can’t recommend other large fireproof safes for comics as I have no experience with them.

Furthermore, I’d caution against cheap, smallish fireproof safes as some ...like Sentry safes produced decades ago... have a liquid barrier of unknown chemical in the walls that can sweat raising the internal humidity level. Also, unfamiliar or proprietary fire retardant chemicals could exacerbate rust and damage paper.

To safeguard comics from moisture it’s always advisable to use desiccants in any closed storage ...fireproof or otherwise... as sealed containers can sweat or allow humidity entry from an outside sources. It’s also advisable to monitor heat and humidity around books in any safe or enclosed container.

Fireproof safes ...good fireproof safes... use a dry wall buffer rather than a sealed liquid barrier. Nevertheless, the dry wall barrier is designed to produce moisture under intense heat and it can sweat, so desiccants are highly recommended.

There is some debate ...or rather differing viewpoints... on what constitutes ideal temperature and humidity levels. As a rule, room temperature or cooler is good (70 degrees or less) and humidity of under 50% (some paper conservationists recommend as little as 30% humidity).

Where humidity is concerned I’d be equally concerned about rust from too much moisture as I would possible brittleness derived from insufficient moisture (dryness) in the atmosphere around books. However, this is more of a hypothetical point for debate ...based on logic rather than applied science... and this is a topic best addressed by experienced paper conservationists.
Post 15 IP   flag post
598000 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?