Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS PressingQuestions

Questions About Pressing19590

Collector StonewallAT private msg quote post Address this user
So I just got my books back and I am not happy about their grades. If I send them back to to have CBCS crack the slabes and press them will that ruin the signatures on them? I have half a mind to crack them my self as I don't think they were fairly graded.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
What do the grader notes say on them. comic press might not even improve a grade if it’s unpressable defects it’s not a major pill that fixes everything
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @StonewallAT.

No, pressing should not damage the signatures at all.

CBCS is notorious for grading very strictly but fairly. That's one reason so many of us who hang out on these forums like them. It's pretty common for folks who might be less experienced graders - and I am not implying that is the case for you - to be surprised at the grades of their books when they receive those first few submissions back from CBCS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Travis Thanks for your response. One which is a 9.0 says
"minor spine stress front & back cover, some barely breaks color
minor bends back cover"

The other which came back a 8.0 says
"minor spine stress front & back cover, some bbbc
minor bends front & back cover, 1//2" crease top front cover edge barely breaks color"

The thing is on thar 8.0 there was no damage on it when I sent it in. But of cause I have no pictures to back that up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Yellow labels? Do NOT crack them yourself if resubmitting for press and regrade. They lose the certification if YOU crack them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@cyrano0521 thanks for the heads up but I already new that. Thanks for looking out.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Well it might help them a little bit but won’t help on any of the color breaks say the 9.0 might be a 9.2 9.4 it’s definitely not gonna jump to a 9.8. I do feel that cbcs just grades harder than cgc dose. I have sent books in thinking this is in the 9.0 range or higher and they came back 8.0 but I never do the press and clean option when submitting I probably should but it’s the cost of submitting comics in and to add a press to it i usually wait till they run a special before I submit comics to try to off set the cost a little bit. As for the 8.0 it’s prob not going to improve it to much but it’s up to you if you want to try to get that grade bump or just be happy with what you got. Those are two reputable grades a 8.0 and a 9.0 depending on what comics they are and how old they are. I always try to find the best cleanest copy of a comic before I send it in but since yours were signed you were kind of limited to what you could find to send in. It could have got damaged in shipping I don’t know.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The ol' "Light/Minor Bends" gets me everytime.

It's like one of those phrases that's a catch all for when we observe absolutely nothing.
When in doubt "Light/minor Bends" is the answer.
I love it even more after a book has been professionally pressed

What is not being said is that an Amoeba sat on the edge of the comic and bent it 1 angstrom unit - sounds like a defect to me!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@StonewallAT only signature I’d watch for is if it’s a paint marker- sometimes can lift-

But any permanent or sharpie should be fine.

I wouldn’t put any more money in the cracking / press / regrade unless it’s a very valuable book. The return just to bump a few grades plus time to wait on them I doubt is worth it. And like many that posted good chance you see no grade improvement.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@Travis they absolutely do.

I had a 9.4 CGC go to CBCS 9.0

And a CGC 9.0 go to CBCS 8.5.

AND they were resubmitted with a press with CBCS between (cracked out of CGC case and CBCS pressed them).
Post 10 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
CBCS is notorious for grading very strictly but fairly. That's one reason so many of us who hang out on these forums like them.
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!!!!!!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallAT
@Travis Thanks for your response. One which is a 9.0 says
"minor spine stress front & back cover, some barely breaks color
minor bends back cover"

The other which came back a 8.0 says
"minor spine stress front & back cover, some bbbc
minor bends front & back cover, 1//2" crease top front cover edge barely breaks color"

The thing is on thar 8.0 there was no damage on it when I sent it in. But of cause I have no pictures to back that up.

ALWAYS take pictures of your books before you send them anywhere
Post 12 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

It's like one of those phrases that's a catch all for when we observe absolutely nothing.

What is not being said is that an Amoeba sat on the edge of the comic and bent it 1 angstrom unit - sounds like a defect to me!

🤣
so true. As someone being relatively new to pressing, I can definitely vouch for the fact that sometimes those stupid little defects that should press right out just don't.

I pressed one 3 times for 1 little finger bend that just wouldn't go away. No luck.

it sucks having to accept that not everything that looks fixable is.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
ive never submitted a cbcs 9.8 to cgc to see what the grade ends up being...

i just figured all grades are equal.

my favorite is the "light bends to cover"... and then you say to yourself - i paid them for pressing! those "light bends" should have come out. frustrating.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

🤣
so true. As someone being relatively new to pressing, I can definitely vouch for the fact that sometimes those stupid little defects that should press right out just don't.

I pressed one 3 times for 1 little finger bend that just wouldn't go away. No luck.

it sucks having to accept that not everything that looks fixable is.

Finger bends usually require spot pressing prior to full book pressing.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd76
@Travis they absolutely do.

I had a 9.4 CGC go to CBCS 9.0

And a CGC 9.0 go to CBCS 8.5.

AND they were resubmitted with a press with CBCS between (cracked out of CGC case and CBCS pressed them).
I've even had a CBCS 9.2 regraded (submitted in the CBCS case even) and it dropped to a CBCS 9.0, you just never know.
Post 16 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately there is risk that cracking a piece of plastic that surrounds a bunch of delicate paper could result in damage to said paper.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Unfortunately when one enters this game of subjectivity; which is simply a more professional sounding word for someone's opinion, then you're stuck playing their game. Someone, of course, will respond with the "yea but they're professional opinions". To which my response is yea but 100 reasons I won't go into about "subjectivity" & "people" & "businesses".

I chose to play in this pyramid scheme game because it is profitable. But when one plays games, you win and you lose. You just hope you make enough good subjective guesses that outweigh the disappointments.
If you look hard at the comic(s), re-assess and really feel you got screwed over grade-wise, then it might very well be worth resubmittimg in spite of the myriad of risks; albeit not necessarily likely ones.
I've done this, and sure enough they've come back closer to my expectations 2nd time around. So much for number accuracy
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 thanks for your input. The biggest thing is that I feel like I got screwed because the book was not damaged when I sent it in but when I got it back there was damage that I could see but I didn't take pictures before hand which I will start doing.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallAT
@Nuffsaid111 thanks for your input. The biggest thing is that I feel like I got screwed because the book was not damaged when I sent it in but when I got it back there was damage that I could see but I didn't take pictures before hand which I will start doing.

Yep - every (enter small percentage) of one's total submissions get damaged. I just had a Ghostbusters 1 signed by Ivan Reitman go in brand new 9.6/9.8 when sent in; come back at 7.0 and looking even worse than that. I didn't even bother complaining since it's a cheap book. But I was, deep down, quite upset
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering if pressing affects signatures on either the inside cover or first page inside the book in ink pen. Warping fading bleeding so on and so forth. Any information appreciated.
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@cesidio No, not really. It can lift some paint pens.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600782 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?