Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS PressingComics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

USPS Media Mail?19250

Collector FoxBe private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone ship to CBCS using USPS Media Mail? Some of the comics I want to send are more sentimentally valuable than financially valuable and was thinking USPS Media Mail was a good option. Probably even with pressing, no more than a 7.0. Getting comics look to be cheaper to slab than buy some of those fancy frames that are out there.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Stardust_Memories private msg quote post Address this user
Technically, comics don't fall under media mail guidelines.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jcbruch private msg quote post Address this user
Comics can not be sent by media mail because of the ads. They do not count as a book because of the ads. The post office inspects media mail and will make recipient pay for the shipping or return it to you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Do not use media mail. Try shipping from pirateship.com instead.
Post 4 IP   flag post
interesting to know. what about bad idea comics? those dont contain ads? those aren’t the ones i was thinking about of sending in.

on the other hand, i have sent comics via email to a bindery and have never had issues. maybe the post office i’ve been using just doesn’t care/check.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jcbruch private msg quote post Address this user
When I first starting selling from Ebay I sent a few times using media mail. Then they starting checking and it caused problems.
Post 6 IP   flag post
thanks all! sounds like i’ll try pirateship or stick with FedEx.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

A heads up on pirateship. Their insurance excludes ungraded collectibles. They have good shipping prices but you should buy your own collectors insurance policy. The annual cost is probably lower than the cost to insure a shipment to and from CBCS . You can always tell CBCS not to insure the return shipment if you have your own collectors policy.

From the pirateship site:

EXCLUSIONS
This program does not provide coverage for the following:

Additionally, collectible coins, comic books, sports cards and similar that are being shipped to be graded and have their value established are excluded. Collectible coins, comic books, sports cards, and similar are not excluded if they have already been graded and have their value established or if they were sold under a paid, Recent Invoice or have a Recent Appraisal.

Recent Invoice and Recent Appraisal means an invoice or appraisal dated within 60 days prior to the shipment date.

Basically, 99.9% of people sending in ungraded collectibles are excluded from their insurance policy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

A heads up on pirateship. Their insurance excludes ungraded collectibles. They have good shipping prices but you should buy your own collectors insurance policy. The annual cost is probably lower than the cost to insure a shipment to and from CBCS . You can always tell CBCS not to insure the return shipment if you have your own collectors policy.

EXCLUSIONS

Additionally, collectible coins, comic books, sports cards and similar that are being shipped to be graded and have their value established are excluded. Collectible coins, comic books, sports cards, and similar are not excluded if they have already been graded and have their value established or if they were sold under a paid, Recent Invoice or have a Recent Appraisal.
collector’s insurance! i’m so new to the slabbing game. thanks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I would go ahead and ship them Media Mail.
Post 10 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

EXCLUSIONS

Recent Invoice and Recent Appraisal means an invoice or appraisal dated within 60 days prior to the shipment date.

Basically, 99.9% of people sending in ungraded collectibles are excluded from their insurance policy.

Yeah, that's the one disappointment with Pirate Ship. I use them for most non-eBay stuff but anything of value, I just go thru USPS.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Since it is week-end - is it still an ads - if the good/services being advertised is no longer available?
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. Just because it's expired doesn't change what it inherently is. But then again I only got a c in philosophy class....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
you should buy your own collectors insurance policy. The annual cost is probably lower than the cost to insure a shipment to and from CBCS .

I wish
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Since it is week-end - is it still an ads - if the good/services being advertised is no longer available?

Shipping Media mail gives them to inspect the package to insure you’re following their policies. I would say a large box for slabs would draw suspicion.

If/when they inspect your package and see clearly what are comics, they are not trained nor will they flip through the book to verify advertisements are there, or checked for “expiration dates”. They likely will hold the package until someone pays thr difference in median mail vs first class or priority. Which from my experience they’ll go after the destination first to collect (I.e. CBCS). And they’re not going to accept the package and so it’ll get sent back to you.

I’m sure if you took the case to court you would win if you prove all the adds are expired. but the time and money invested on your end is likely much more than just paying the difference. So consider that in your risk assessment.

Also, if you followed through your case could make it to the Supreme Court and force USPS to change their policies to train people to examine media mail more throughly…increasing the cost of media mail to offset that training investment. Screwing everyone who uses media mail in the process.

So, yeah. You can do it. But you’re asking for trouble.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Just use USPS Priority mail. You can add extra insurance to the package. I just sent out a dozen books. I first used a Gemini and bubble wrapped the hell out of it. Then slid it in a Medium flat rate box with foam strips to make a snug fit. These books are worth about 3 grand. So I want to be very careful with my packaging. I would not recommend media mail for your prized,valuable books.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
25+ years into this Media Mail question that comes up constantly; and although I understand there are direct savings; the risks involved are too great for me and I actually do consider myself a risk taker.

The small savings involved just don't add up for a box being tossed around from the Samsonite Gorilla and with decent potential of USPS inspection.

Leave media mail to hardcover books maximum (and perhaps cheapo used trades)

But comics? - I would never do it; but to each his own.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I'll send stuff media mail, but only if they are not valuable. 2-3 comics go first class, anything more goes media unless I want to be sure I can insure it. The worst thing that happens is they open it, then charge you the difference from what you paid to Priority. I haven't had that happen once yet.

If the comics have some value to you though, even if it's just sentimental value, I'd go priority or something where you can add insurance to have more peace of mind.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Also important to note: media mail and first class packages are both pretty much handled the same way. You need to ship priority to get better handling and transit.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Media Mail

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't trust usps with someone else's package let alone mine. If it wasn't for the tax payer bankruptcy. Poor service poor attitudes ect.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Also important to note: media mail and first class packages are both pretty much handled the same way. You need to ship priority to get better handling and transit.

Priority just gets there faster and has insurance (which is a joke for those who’ve tried to claim). I’ve yet to see packages “handled” differently.

I’ve had more damages from mailing items priority than media mail/first class combined. But usually medial mail/first class items are small/less than 1lbs too.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600809 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?