Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSP

Signature Verification - Jack Kirby19152

Collector JC600 private msg quote post Address this user
First post here, I am looking for some solid information to 4 questions I have about the process CBCS uses to verify a Jack Kirby signature on a comic.
1- Is it possible for me to send 1 single comic in to have the signature verified, but not have the comic graded?
2- What is the process, and what will I receive that proves the verification of Jack's signature when they send my comic back to me?
3- What is the exact (most expensive expedited cost) to send 1 single comic in so that a signature can be verified?
4- If I am willing to pay for the most expensive expedited cost CBCS charges, then what is the date that I should expect to receive my comic back at my front door if I were to ship it overnight shipping tomorrow February 15th 2023 from Burbank CA?

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
1. No. CBCS is primarily a comics Grading and Encapsulating Service

If you’re looking to have a signature authenticates you would have to look elsewhere. Beckett, CBCS’ parent company, also provides the signature verification services for CBCS and offers their own options for signature verification, including non-encapsulated options

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/pricing
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

Yes, CBCS has a verified-signature-program. Be aware they may not verify your Jack Kirby signature. I had a couple they wouldn't verify because over the years and the older he got, his signature slightly changed. It sucks but just you know it you send it in.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@JC600 for $10 you can get a non-binding opinion whether the signature is likely to pass

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/signature-review

This is also great tool to use for auctions for raw with sigs
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
1. No. CBCS is primarily a comics Grading and Encapsulating Service

If you’re looking to have a signature authenticates you would have to look elsewhere. Beckett, CBCS’ parent company, also provides the signature verification services for CBCS and offers their own options for signature verification, including non-encapsulated options

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/pricing

1. Actually it is possible

https://www.beckett-authentication.com/services/verified-signature
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@poka Fair enough. I misread it thinking he didn’t want the book encapsulated. Yes, ungraded there is the Slab-Only option, which I had to investigate myself some time ago
Post 6 IP   flag post
@poka thanks for the link. I appreciate it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector radd76 private msg quote post Address this user
@JC600 that sig is for real - I’d save my money on verifying it!-

-the slab not graded is just the Beckett label one (no grade at the top)-

You can pay I think it’s $60 for expedited and it’s very fast- like just a few weeks instead of a year or more (ugh)

But you can have Signature Review online with Beckett for $10 (see others posting above). All you have to do is fill out a description of the item and upload images of the signature.

Results are within 24 to 48 hours (most of the time within 24 hours)-

It will say “likely to pass full authentication”, “unlikely to pass full authentication” or “unable to determine”-

IF they do the third “unable to determine” you are refunded the $10… I have only had this happen one time and I have submitted quite a bit for Signature Review.

You can print out the result and keep with the book if you would like and will have an email of the result. It also says you can receive a “Certificate / Letter of Authenticity or Letter of Opinion” but I have never requested this- so not sure what that entails-

Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC600
First post here, I am looking for some solid information to 4 questions I have about the process CBCS uses to verify a Jack Kirby signature on a comic.
1- Is it possible for me to send 1 single comic in to have the signature verified, but not have the comic graded?
2- What is the process, and what will I receive that proves the verification of Jack's signature when they send my comic back to me?
3- What is the exact (most expensive expedited cost) to send 1 single comic in so that a signature can be verified?
4- If I am willing to pay for the most expensive expedited cost CBCS charges, then what is the date that I should expect to receive my comic back at my front door if I were to ship it overnight shipping tomorrow February 15th 2023 from Burbank CA?

As an aside, I was just talking to my childhood friend a few weeks ago and The Passport Book Shop came up. I got about 3 books signed by Jack Kirby there and traded them away. Why? because I had no idea who he was. I was just a kid.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@JC600 That signature looks legit.

Below is what a slab-only option looks like. Its encapsulated with a Verified Signature label but not graded.

If I were you, I would grade that book as well. It looks like it's in good shape.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
1.) Yes
2.) You will receive your book encapsulated with the label that states the signature is verified.
3.) I believe for Slab-only option (no grading), signature verification only is $30. Add shipping and insurance costs which are calculated for you when you submit through the cbcs website...this website submit comics
4.) Turn around times are not an exact science but I'm thinking the slab-only option is 28 business days approximately.

Turn Around Times
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user

Stated as Likely to pass....yours looks good to me as well
Post 12 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
You decide.

Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Mine passed

Post 14 IP   flag post
If you decided to get your book graded, it will resemble the label as shown below.

If you encapsulate, be sure to take high resolution pictures of the signature.

Post 15 IP   flag post
@GAC Thank you for answering all 4 of my questions. This fact finding expedition has been interesting to say the least as I am in a time crunch.
I live in TX but work 100% remote for Marvel/Disney Studios Network Operations Center. I am only in CA through Friday and fly back home this weekend.
That said, can you send me a private message please? I want to share a few pics similar to the one I am about post here. I will be on the Studio Lot Friday morning to return several purchases at "The Store". I want to send you a few pictures of the employee exclusive hats that they have in stock right now. You have earned yourself a hat my friend!

Post 16 IP   flag post
@JC600 I PM'd you. 🍻
Post 17 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Forum customer service is great!
Post 18 IP   flag post
597905 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?