Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSP

Re-Introducing CBCS' Slab-Only Option!11821

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

CBCS introduced the Slab-Only option last year but never really provided many details nor is it mentioned at all on CBCS' web site. I've been hassling CBCS for answers and I think I've finally got it all sorted it out for everyone!

What is it?
The slab-only option is meant as a low-cost way to get your unwitnessed signatures verified if you're not particularly interested in the grade.

How much does it cost?
The Slab-Only option is a flat $20 regardless of age and Insured value (only available for books valued $4000 and less). This fee includes slabbing and verification for 1 signature. Additional signatures can be added for $15 each

What else do I need to know?
CBCS' online submission form is not currently set up to handle Slab-Only submissions. When you add a Verified Signature to a slab-only book, the website will add the regular $25 fee for signature verification. The cost on the invoice should be adjusted once CBCS receives the book.

Slab-Only books do not receive a full restoration check but it will be noted if the book has issues, like a counterfit.

The "Encapsulate even if Verification Fails" option does not apply to this service. If the book fails verification, it will not be slabbed.

Slab-Only books count as VSP submissions as far as promotions are concerned, so the March/April 2020 promo would discount a Slab-Only book to a mere $15

Happy collecting!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
That’s... well, that’s actually pretty cool.
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
What's that grid looking pattern behind it?
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I think the slab is leaned up against the grid.

Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Great idea, many books value is the signature, the grade is irrelevant.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I copied and posted this info on the CBCS 101 pinned thread. Thanks so much for all you are doing to relay this info!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@dielinfinite I copied and posted this info on the CBCS 101 pinned thread. Thanks so much for all you are doing to relay this info!!!

Seriously! Thanks to @dielinfinite you contribute clear and important information. Great work!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone!

Without additional information I wasn't able to make sense of the Slab-Only option or why anyone was expected to use the option since it's priced higher than modern grading, which prompted me to dig into it.

I really like the idea of the Slab-Only option and would love it if they expanded the option to include yellow labels, maybe for $15, and blue labels.

I know I have comics with sentimental value that I have gotten signed or would get signed and would love them slabbed but have no interest in a grade, like so:

Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
At $20 including verifying the signature (VSP), that is a good price for books that are signed. Normally VSP is $25 for a single signature and then you pay for the grading and encapsulation. It's also any age book with a value up to $4K. So it's possible that by skipping the grading process on a signed book you could save at least $20 and potentially a lot more on an expensive item.

But it's not the service I'd really like to see. I have long been of the belief that an encapsulation only service would find an audience. My best guess as to why the grading companies are cool to the idea is that in the entire process, encapsulation is probably the single most expensive step. They are only skipping running it by the graders. Everyone else in the building is still dong their part plus the cost of the inner and outer holder.

But still the offered service has it's uses. Thank you dielinfinite for unearthing the details.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Thank you everyone!

Without additional information I wasn't able to make sense of the Slab-Only option or why anyone was expected to use the option since it's priced higher than modern grading, which prompted me to dig into it.

I really like the idea of the Slab-Only option and would love it if they expanded the option to include yellow labels, maybe for $15, and blue labels.

I know I have comics with sentimental value that I have gotten signed or would get signed and would love them slabbed but have no interest in a grade, like so:

That book is awesome in it's awfulness . WTH but if I don't want one! Except maybe also having a page cut out! And a bandage somewhere on the cover!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The Slab-Only option is a flat $20 regardless of age and Insured value (only available for books valued $4000 and less). This fee includes slabbing and verification for 1 signature

Do I understand that a slab-only with Signature Verification is $20 with no additional cost? But if I add Signature Verification to a graded book it's $25 additional? That seems to be an odd pricing plan.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@IronMan That was the first comic I ever bought off the rack when I was 8 years old. I still love the cover and wanted to get it signed

@EbaySeller That is correct
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Do I understand that a slab-only with Signature Verification is $20 with no additional cost? But if I add Signature Verification to a graded book it's $25 additional? That seems to be an odd pricing plan.

I agree with you.... very odd. It actually does not make sense when you add up the numbers.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Slab-Only books do not receive a full restoration check but it will be noted if the book has issues, like a counterfit.

Why not include a full restoration check? Maybe because restoration checks are done by graders?
Post 14 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller @Nuffsaid111 It makes more sense if you assume $15, the price for subsequent signature verifications, is closer to the actual cost of verification but still marked up for a profit and the $10 reslab service is also marked up. You end up with $25 for verification and slabbing as separate services after a markup.

@SpiderTim Restoration check is part of their full-grading service. Raw grade books also do not get a restoration check
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'll be submitting some books for slab only verified signatures. It's a great service (and economical) where the signature is the value point and not the book so much. Thanks for bringing this topic up again!

I'll be sending in:

Avengers/Invaders 3 signed Alex Ross
Avengers/invaders 4 signed Alex Ross
Avengers/invaders 4 signed Joe Simon and Alex Ross
Captain America Theatre of War 1 signed Joe Simon
Astonishing X-men 25 signed Len Wein
Post 16 IP   flag post
@GAC I'm glad you found the information useful!

Just beware that what I described above is how things SHOULD work however one Facebook user mentioned that on a past submission they were charged the Signature Verification fee in addition to the Slab-Only fee so it might be something you might have to communicate with customer service about. It'd be nice if it was something they could adjust before you send your books in, just for your peace of mind, but they tend to insist on making changes only after the books are received
Post 17 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I appreciate this, thank you. I'll be sure to email customer service and see what they say. Maybe @Darryl_H could comment as well.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
What happens if the signature cannot be verified? Book gets returned as is?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Post 20 IP   flag post
@steveinthecity @GAC Not with Slab-Only books
Quote:
The "Encapsulate even if Verification Fails" option does not apply to this service. If the book fails verification, it will not be slabbed.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC I

@steveinthecity
Quote:

that's good to know!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@dielinfinite I appreciate this, thank you. I'll be sure to email customer service and see what they say. Maybe @Darryl_H could comment as well.

I get the feeling that maybe a lot of these details weren't fully fleshed out until I started asking. Hopefully just going through this with me will have customer service better informed to properly process this service
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
This is actually a good option for some of my pre-1975 books that either are in terrible condition, worth less than $30 to begin with, have obvious resto that I already know about, but that I would still like to have slabbed.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@noahjdorsey Exactly!! I've got some modern books with sigs that I wouldn't normally grade but I'd like the sigs authenticated.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@noahjdorsey @GAC I got this book in my latest mail call. It's a book I have fond memories of from my childhood and took the opportunity to get it signed by the artist at a local convention. If CBCS would expand the Slab-Only option to include Witnessed Signatures, I totally would've used it for this book and possibly other well-loved books from my childhood!

Post 26 IP   flag post
Sent these in today for the slab only/VSP service.

Joe Simon

Alex Ross

Alex Ross and Joe Simon

Alex Ross

Stan Lee

Len Wein

Post 27 IP   flag post
@GAC Those are some awesome books! Hopefully it all goes smoothly!
Post 28 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Thanks! I hope so as well. I confirmed with customer service that slab only/vsp is $20 per signature. I wrote SUPPORT THE HOBBY on the invoice so hopefully the 20% get applied.

I don't really collect modern comics but this service is perfect for these kinds of books with signatures one wants verified.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@GAC Good luck with the discount. It was supposed to run until the end of April so there's a chance it won't be applied
Post 30 IP   flag post
601536 70 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?