Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Where do you buy your Comic Books?19097

PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Back in 1942 when I bought my first comic book you could find them everywhere...Drug Stores,
newsstands, news rooms, Five & Tens, corner stores, Bus Stations and Train Stations.
Today other than Comic Book stores and on-line it seems rather difficult to find specific
new titles on a regular basis. It would be interesting to find out how it's done today.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Miss Chanandler Bong jake private msg quote post Address this user
Mostly LCS, I have seven in 6 mile radius. Otherwise, Walmart and Target for seasonal packs. Occasional local comic and card expos. Supermarket and pharmacy spinners have gone by the wayside, since it’s become a specialty item.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Travis private msg quote post Address this user
Like you my generation had the same similar experience in the late 80s and 90d they were everywhere like you said grocery stores to quick shops everywhere you basically went to had a newsstand area were they sold magazines and comics. So a similar experience with comic being just about everywhere you would go. So now I mostly visit the 2 best comic shops I found that are in a hour drive radius of my house. Might make a trip to each one once a month if I can. One of them actually was cool and got me a pull box going of the regular stuff I tend to buy. Second I use eBay it can be addicting use ebsy at your own risk. But yeah comic shops and eBay are my way of getting comic media in my hands
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
LCS and eBay are my usual hunting grounds. It gets a little tougher to get in the LCS shopping because two of the ones closer to me had to shut down thanks to events of the past few years.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t have a good local option but honestly don’t purchase many new comics as I have enough to open a store myself at this point. What I do purchase is through Things From Another World, pretty easy to use and reasonable shipping.
Post 5 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
If you're looking for options, here's another thread with some...

clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker1
I don’t have a good local option but honestly don’t purchase many new comics as I have enough to open a store myself at this point. What I do purchase is through Things From Another World, pretty easy to use and reasonable shipping.

They're my go-to as well.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
I used to use Midtown but when they started charging sales tax and the shipping rates increased, I decided to try TFAW. The discount is slightly less but the shipping costs are cheaper and with them being near my state, I get my books quicker. I will say Midtown's monthly Previews/Pre-order section is top notch, very easy to navigate, etc. TFAW's needs to be revamped and make it a bit smoother, however with Midtown you pay in advance and can't change your order, with TFAW they charge you as orders ship and give you the option to increase/decrease your book orders up until the FOC date so TFAW has a lot going for it and so far, with it being two months into using them I am impressed and look forward to continuing business with them each month.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector JoshS2 private msg quote post Address this user
I use DCBS - the discount is enough to overlook the few minor issues I've had over the years.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Before I got my driver's license in 1999, I would either walk up to the grocery store or pharmacy to once every week or two with my friends and we would browse the spinner racks for the best-looking copies of whatever we collected. We would also mail order from Mile High (before Chuck went too far off the deep end), East Coast Comics, and Entertainment this Month. Then it was all about going to the LCS (had quite a few at the time). Now, I go the various LCS in the region to buy nicer wall books, and back issues. I'll do the occasional mail order through Mile High, MCS, Comic Link or Doug Sulipa. My eBay purchases have gone way down. I haven't bought a comic on ebay since Nov 2022. My pull list comes from Graham Crackers in IL. I had several gaps in the years of collecting and reading, but I'm back to full time buying and reading, just less purchases right now as I've slowed down a lot. Mostly focused on some of my runs and eventually phasing out my pull list.
Post 10 IP   flag post
In the email I received from BEDROCK CITY COMIC COMPANY stated "View a complete list
of this week's new comic book day releases here."
I was linked to gocollect for COMIC LIST: New comic book releases for 02/08/2023.
What I saw were titles with up to 7 different covers...does anyone collect them all
or just certain covers?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Mycomicshop or big times collectibles
Post 12 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann The variant cover thing is getting insane. I'm sure someone collects them all, but it's not me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James42
@martymann The variant cover thing is getting insane. I'm sure someone collects them all, but it's not me.

Someone has to be going to town on the variant covers, because they wouldn't keep doing it if it weren't profitable. I confess I have some variant covers, but it's because I either love the cover or it was given to me.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I have some SUPERMAN and BATMAN Comics that had two different covers from the late 80's
but they seemed to be one-shots as best as I can remember.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The first 'variant cover' was the first issue of John Byrne's Superman limited series, "The Man of Steel" that came out in 1986. Then there was Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 (wedding issue) with a Peter Parker cover on direct sales issues and a Spider-Man cover on newsstand editions. A couple months later came a couple of variant 'test market covers' from DC. One was Justice League #3 and the other was Fury of Firestorm #61. Those two can be pretty hard to find, especially in good shape because the test market covers were newsstand only and had very limited distribution.

It took a while for variants to really catch on, but now they've taken the concept further than it ever needed to go, IMHO. Sometimes a variant cover comes out that I really like, but I'd be willing to forgo that in favour of just not having all the freakin' variants anymore.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

Someone has to be going to town on the variant covers, because they wouldn't keep doing it if it weren't profitable. I confess I have some variant covers, but it's because I either love the cover or it was given to me.

I like variants. I usually pick up a couple each month, often in addition to a regular cover. But there is no sane reason for every single issue of ASM to have 5+ variants. It's like nobody remembers the 90's comics implosion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

I like variants. I usually pick up a couple each month, often in addition to a regular cover. But there is no sane reason for every single issue of ASM to have 5+ variants. It's like nobody remembers the 90's comics implosion.

Pick what you like, which is exactly how it should be. If they weren't so unhinged about it, I'd really enjoy the variety, but like @James42 said, there's no good reason to have so darn many. What's more, a number of variants aren't even that great.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
depends. i tend to buy from whatever is cheapest at the moment.
midtowncomics.com when they have an awesome sale
several ebay sellers if its a hard to find and they got
my local comic shop when Im going somewhere physical
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Silversorrow private msg quote post Address this user
My closest comic book store is a 1 hour drive away so I pretty much exclusively buy online from Captcan Comics and occasionally from eBay.
Post 20 IP   flag post
600635 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?