Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Where do you buy comics?19022

I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I am finishing a months-long reorganization of my collection, and decided to fill in my run of the current volume of ASM. I started with issue 9 at my LCS, but they only had a partial selection of back issues. So I went to the Midtown Comics website and picked up the rest.

Which got me thinking about where I buy comics. I have three local shops I visit; two do new books, and one is focused on resale of older books. I use eBay and Midtown Comics, and I have bought books on these forums.

I don't currently buy from Mile High; I have, and have never been disappointed, but it's been something like 15 years since I have done so. I have browsed the MCS website, but don't like the interface. And I think I have an Atomic Avenue account, but I have never used it.

What's your favourite place to buy comics, old or new?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
First I try my local shops, then ebay and "my comic shop". If its a hot new release, I'll search google. Ive done business with Atomic Empire, Pink a la mode...

I picked up a few books off Amazon too.

That's about it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@James42 I would recommend staying far away from Atomic Avenue.

Other than local stores to fill back issues, I’ve used MCS, Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, and Metropolis Comics. Personally, I think Mile High’s prices are ridiculous. Newkadia also can be a good source for bronze to current.

And there’s lots of good sellers on this forum too.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
I used to have LCSs but only one has survived the events of the past few years, so I've been forced to look further afield on those occasions when I actually purchase books (I've drastically reduced my buying). When not at my LCS, I'm usually looking on eBay or MCS for back issues. A couple of times I've found some interesting books in, of all places, WalMart.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I pretty much buy just from MCS these days. I've not had any reason to buy from anyone else. Midtown lost my business years ago over a loogie hocked out on one of my orders. Their reply to my complaint was unacceptable. They basically said "tough s**t".

MCS has always handled every issue quickly and professionally. Plus, I know that the Saunders care deeply about the hobby. I can't even tell you who owns Midtown.

My second choice of online retailer is Mile High. Say what you want about Chuck Rozanski, he built the business from the ground up and he still cares deeply about our hobby. He was one of the first, if not the first, comic shop to go to online sales completely and dropping the physical catalog. I've got tremendous respect for what he has contributed, and still contributes, to our hobby.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
I think Mile High’s prices are ridiculous.

You are not alone.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Staple topics, nice. makahuka private msg quote post Address this user
I'm an artist and comic book junky, I look just about everywhere. In my youth, I used to do runs, but now that I'm middle end of aged/almost senior, I've been having a blast looking for key issues, first appearances and a few #1's. I still collect and read some series in full(not so much a run of books), and go to me LCS's for new issues and new keys. I will use my LCS, and there are quite a few in my city, I use swap meets/flea markets, Craigslist, eBay, Thrift shops, garage sales, Instagram, YouTube, and antique stores. I will also check to see if an LCS has an online store. I've also found, in the forum, that some people who are in other cities, will mention some comic shops, and will also look to see if those shops have an online store. The hunt is fun, and I continue to branch out when I see a cover, or artist that I like, and some writers as well. Another fun part of the scouring is that I have family in a few states that I visit, so I visit stores, shops, etc. near them. Happy hunting/collecting, ever upward!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I haven't aired it out. It's part of the provenance. Galen130 private msg quote post Address this user
My collecting has decreased a lot since about 2012. That’s why I am trying to sell off my Modern collection as much as possible. I dabbled in Modern variants for a few years…stopped doing that. I dabbled in getting comics encapsulated…stopped doing that too.

I got into PCH and bondage comics, but mostly slabbed copies. I like unique stuff that most people don’t really pay attention to. Occasionally, I’ll buy raw stuff. I buy maybe half a dozen or so a year.

All my purchases the last 3 years or so were from these forums or the ‘other’ forums. I stopped going there as well. I’d rather buy from a fellow collector. I don’t buy from anywhere else any more. 🙂👍🤙
Post 8 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
JC’s comics and More, in Toledo, for as much as I can find.

After that, MCS.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
MCS for sure...sometimes eBay. The CBCS forum is also a good place to buy and trade.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I use lcs, I'm pretty lucky to have these two.
One is new books and vintage back issues.
The other shop is purely back issues.

Online I use Metropolis collectibles and to a lesser extent Heritage as I usually don't win as I'm looking for good deals.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
I use DCBS because of the discount and Walmart for the variant covers.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Bobashek private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

You are not alone.

Chuck has used his own price guide for decades.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector mpweigl private msg quote post Address this user
Whatnot. Can always find stuff on there. Then my local shops. Ebay or online as needed.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
MCS my comic shop is my go to now especially for the insane savings on subscriptions and pre orders of new books. My LCSs utilize pull box for new issues and don’t really put out anything. One shop (Most Wanted) has a great back issue selection and is pretty cool. 1 ship mostly has wall books and the other is rude and marks up new releases that are “keys”
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
I try to find guys who are going through a divorce and exploit them as much as their wives are.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Locally I have 2 shops in RI and 1 in CT that I visit on occasion. The closest one to me rarely ever has any back issues that I am interested in, so I usually just end up picking up some bags and boards there. The other two have lots more back issues, and if either was closer, I would visit them more frequently. I always check out antique shops, flea markets, and yard sales when I see them, especially when traveling. Even though I rarely ever find anything at them, the thrill of the hunt is exciting. Online I buy from MCS, ebay, and a few others, but would prefer to buy, sell, and trade with other members here on the forum.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
I use Golden Apple for current issues. Whatnot for back issues of current runs, and Hip Comics for filling in older runs.

For slabs I tend to buy based on art and deals.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
got some great unslabbed books from the Bookery, Nostalgia Zone, James Payette and, of course, ebay
Post 19 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@James42 I would recommend staying far away from Atomic Avenue.

Out of curiosity, why? I have no plans to use it, but I have used ComicBase to catalogue my collection since the early 2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobashek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdibyrd
Quote:

You are not alone.

Chuck has used his own price guide for decades.

True, but I have never been upset with their grading.
Post 20 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
In my original collecting days it was two LCS in suburban Toronto.

Now it is MCS, Heritage, CC, Ebay… so just like the rest of my shopping (all online).
Post 21 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Italy, France, Greece, Mexico, Brazil, etc.. 😁
Post 22 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
I go to TFAW.COM for all new comics and preorders. They give a discount on the prices.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
As a Dallas local, my LCS was always Lone Star Comics, now also known as MCS. @sborock was kind enough to give me the nickel tour while he was there, and while it's no longer a storefront MCS is big enough to be everybody's LCS.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have a pull list at Stadium Cards and Comics in Ann Arbor Michigan. Then the rest of my books are bought usually at comic book shows. I occasionally buy books on line from Things from another world too.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I have a pull list at Stadium Cards and Comics in Ann Arbor Michigan. Then the rest of my books are bought usually at comic book shows. I occasionally buy books on line from Things from another world too.

Love Stadium.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
I occasionally buy books on line from Things from another world too

Yes, TFAW is another one.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave Were you from MI? Or are you in MI now?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Davethebrave Were you from MI? Or are you in MI now?

In MI now… love it though wish there was more snow.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave This little bit of snow today was nice. What LCS do you frequent or like the most?
Post 30 IP   flag post
601333 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?