Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

Signed Jack Kirby comic found! CBCS Worthy?1892

Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,
Well, I was going through an old box of comics (circa 1990's) that I stashed away and totally forgot about - when I found a stack of assorted "Dynamic Forces" signed comics. I had NO IDEA this was in there.155 out of 750 .Pretty excited to see the KING signed it.(along with Dan Panosian.) Is this CBCS worthy to get slabbed? and Does CBCS include the COA in the slab? Please advise, Thanks. Ray ( I put a cheesy watermark on the coa!)wa

Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
It would have to be submitted for Red Label verified signatures, since you could put that COA with any comic. Keep the COA and when the comic is returned, slip it into the mylar bag on the back side of the slab. There had been some talk about CBCS and problems with verifying Kirby's signature from a company (not sure if it was Dynamic Forces or not), but I think the last post said that there was no problem anymore. You might want to look for that thread. Anyway, great find! (Hey, we should get together soon and talk comics over a beer or two!)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Nice find. I think it would be a very good red label candidate.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Johnny_B private msg quote post Address this user
I am fairly new here, so I could be way off base with this. But I believe I just recently read somewhere that they do not include COA's within the slab, as to the potential damage to the comic. If I can find where I read it, I will gladly post it here.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Johnny_B private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS FAQ
https://www.cbcscomics.com/faq
What types of comic books does CBCS certify?
CBCS grades any and all mainstream comic books that will fit into our holder. Currently, we do not certify underground comics or comic magazines. Poly-bagged comics must be removed before they can be certified. Items such as detached 3-D glasses, poly-bags, certificates of authenticity and other loose materials that can damage a book will not be encapsulated with the comic. These items will be sent back to you at no extra charge.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
COAs are meaningless to a grading company. Don't send with the comic. Do what esaravo suggested.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
It would have to be submitted for Red Label verified signatures, since you could put that COA with any comic. Keep the COA and when the comic is returned, slip it into the mylar bag on the back side of the slab. There had been some talk about CBCS and problems with verifying Kirby's signature from a company (not sure if it was Dynamic Forces or not), but I think the last post said that there was no problem anymore. You might want to look for that thread. Anyway, great find! (Hey, we should get together soon and talk comics over a beer or two!)

It was DF and here's the thread https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/1846/page/1/just-a-thought-maybe-a-stupid-one-at-that/.

@Johnnylray I would submit it for red label and cross your fingers. Don't even bother including the COA because it will be ignored as far as the verification goes.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Awesome responses, Thank you everyone..Red label entry..fingers crossed. Thanks All! Will keep you posted!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
.. and the awesome thing about CBCS, is that if the customer doesn't realize that there's a sig in one of their books .. it has been known for CBCS to notify them about that (rather than another company either missing it or just slabbing the book as Universal).

How cool is that?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@KenWorthing That is cool. The best inside sigs that I discovered were by Mike Grell in Starslayer 1 and 2. Those were also the first 2 appearances of Rocketeer done by Dave Stevens. Real high grade too. It would have been nice if Dave Stevens had signed them too. Maybe I better take a closer look.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Gd4901 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWorthing
.. and the awesome thing about CBCS, is that if the customer doesn't realize that there's a sig in one of their books .. it has been known for CBCS to notify them about that (rather than another company either missing it or just slabbing the book as Universal).

Happened to me 2 weeks ago with a Dick Auers signature in an Avengers 6. Never noticed it
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

It was DF and here's the thread https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/1846/page/1/just-a-thought-maybe-a-stupid-one-at-that/.

@Johnnylray I would submit it for red label and cross your fingers. Don't even bother including the COA because it will be ignored as far as the verification goes.

I contacted CBCS and they said this is not true.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@jimmylinguini What isn't true? the kirby done by wife fakes or COA is ignored? thanks. Ray
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
@jimmylinguini What isn't true? the kirby done by wife fakes or COA is ignored? thanks. Ray

CBCS said that the rejecting the dynamic forces signed jack kirby books because they weren't signed by Kirby was untrue.

But also CBCS doesn't care about COAs.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@jimmylinguini Thanks!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector nsiggson private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen that same fat marker Kirby sig before on a Marvel X-Men 1 Milestone a few times and had my doubts. I recently ran across a youtube vid of some Canadian guys who did some research on that X-Men and found that CBCS will not verify that Jack Kirby signature. I still have not seen a "Red Label" CBCS Kirby sig with that front cover, fat marker from the Dynamic Forces crew.
Interested if there's one out there.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Question for CBCS- I am getting ready to submit my comic for the red label. so - my question is this: if the sig/s come back NOT verified, do I still get charged the full price? and book returned(not slabbed as per request)? Thank you.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@johnnylray...hey brother...hows your day going? Anyway...I went through this 2 years ago with a dynamic F. signature. CBCS rejected the sig even though it was still sealed with COA and I'd had for 10 years. They charged for the Verification and shipped the book back unslabbed per my request.it's a bummer, but they put the work in so they need to charge.

Now, if its a triple sig and the first is rejected, I hope they wouldn't charge the additional fees for the other sigs.

I did reach out to DF that day and they responded that they would be reaching out to CBCS ...I'm not sure if that initiated any of this drama over the last couple years regarding CBCS/DF...but it is what it is and all's good .
Post 19 IP   flag post
My sig is different every time I sign my child support check ...I accept these artists can't always be verified...Just have to sell it raw for less
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher there is an edit button
Post 21 IP   flag post
LOL....I need it for my life
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
Question for CBCS- I am getting ready to submit my comic for the red label. so - my question is this: if the sig/s come back NOT verified, do I still get charged the full price? and book returned(not slabbed as per request)? Thank you.

You will not be charged for the grading; however you will still pay the VSP cost ($25 first sig, $15 second sig). And yes, they will send the book back in a plastic sleeve with a sticker that says it failed verification. You can also request it to be graded anyways but if it fails verification, you will take a hit on the grade for "writing on cover" and of course the signature will not be mentioned on the label in that case.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks Thanks!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my Jack Kirby find. Also, REMEMBER THIS, if you have a signature inside the comic, take a picture of it prior to grading. It will make a nice addition to the comic book and you'll kick yourself if you forget
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Here's mine.

Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Considering @OGJackster 's picture on the label and advice to take a pic, and some people's preference to get sigs inside some books (including myself on some covers), could one potentially have the picture of the inside sig added to the label? Verified or witnessed or both?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - Many of us on these forums have been requesting that CBCS either include an image of an interior autograph on the label (the back of the label would be fine), or include an image of it with the free grader's notes. I'm sitting on three Miller signed DD's that he signed on the bottom of the first page back before he was famous and charging $100-150 per. Back then, he even spelled out his name, instead of his now "F- M-" scribble.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Damn. It looked like @OGJackster had somehow gotten his pic inside slab 😔
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm on the fence with all this DF concerns..I may just keep the book , not slabbed, and pass it down to my kids.let them worry about real vs fake. and save myself $47 plus bucks. kind of bums me out that even though it was a limited, it could be fake. and I have a stack of DF books from 91-94 that Have COAs'. Ray/RI
Post 30 IP   flag post
597877 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?