Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just a thought maybe a stupid one at that1846

Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Just bored and thinking. If cbcs is paying a professional company to look at sigs to verify they are real couldn't they just go ahead and make it a yellow label. I mean if they are paying someone to verify sig and they are a professional company it should still be in standing with someone watching a artist sign a book. What if some not so well know artist isn't feeling well and he gets his or hers twin to go to show and sign books for them and you have a rep go with you too watch. It's gonna get a yellow label. So why not make all sig labels yellow. Again just a random thought. Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
That's a good question. Perhaps it comes down to probabilities? Red label is (for instance) 98% assured authentic and yellow is 99.5% assured to be real? Side note: I don't believe for one minute of 100% assurance with red OR yellow. We're dealing with people and therefore nothing is 100%
Post 2 IP   flag post
Maybe Ricketts had a opinion?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I mean I would trust a professional sig rep more than someone at a show that you could possibly throw some money at and say it was signed by a artist even if you new a auto on a comic you got may not be real
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
Maybe Ricketts had a opinion?

Basically this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
The simple answer is this...Yellow ASP label means the sig was witnessed. Red VSP label means the sig was authenticated by CSA.

If you feel more confident buying a signature authenticated by CSA than one witnessed by an AW then I think the solution is to buy more red label books, not to change the qualifications for the yellow label to encompass both witness and authenticated signatures
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not that I feel more confident in buying either one. Just don't see why there has to be a difference that's all
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
That's the conundrum - is one more reliable than the other? Yellow seems the obvious answer, but I wonder?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I have both Yellow and red labels. However, I prefer the yellow label because from what I am told there are two witnesses to every signature while the verification (red) is a matter of opinion and always open for debate.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
I like the idea that sigs are witnessed, though that leaves out many now deceased creators from the mix.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
IMHO, there should be something that differentiates signatures verified by an expert from signatures that were first hand observed by an employee or authorized rep.

The market can decide if there is a difference in value between the two. So far - as much as I can see - the market has been very accepting of verified signatures.

But they are not the same thing. So making it clear - by different labels - seems reasonable
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverogers11
I mean I would trust a professional sig rep more than someone at a show that you could possibly throw some money at and say it was signed by a artist even if you new a auto on a comic you got may not be real

Not sure why someone would risk being charged with fraud for faking signatures for little pay off since most artist only charge a couple of bucks for a sig.. if at all.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The verification company can only verify that it looks correct. There's still a remote possibly that an expert forgery gets by once in awhile. That's why there are two different colors, so buyers can properly weight the risk upon purchase.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the input. Just looking for some thoughts. Paying devils advocate
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user
I like the red labels. Fake signature have been a part of the hobby for a long time. I feel better purchasing signed books with the notion that a reputable company has said that they do believe it is authentic. It could be after all be a fake, but I doubt a company specializing in authentication would risk their reputation if there was doubt. An example would be that I don't believe CBCS authenticates the Dynamic Forces Marvel Milestone reprints signed by Jack Kirby because there is doubt that he actually signed them. Maybe it would come back verified authentic from PGX, but I could probably forge "Jack Kirby" on a new comic and they'd take it. Also, CBCS only verifies signatures and not artwork, so combining the two labels based on that alone isn't really an option.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think it makes too much difference, UNLESS you yourself obtained and watched the signing. That is the true winning in having signed books.

Because, as someone else said above. EVERYTHING involving humans is suspect.
Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
If it can be thought of it can be done...so, at least all these aspects of authenticity add to the peace that comes in spending good money on a hobby. Some people will always take advantage of opportunity at your expense and if you want comfort , you pay for it(i.e.:verification,authentication)....

but, nothing is guaranteed...what's to stop Jonny hole in the wall from having 5 or 10 signed books from 20 yrs ago and getting in good with one or two reps who get paid to witness sigs and having the guy say "yeah...these were signed by such and such today at the show " ....now they get yellow labels instead of red and don't even get verified for authenticity.

I'm not saying any rep would do that..I'm just saying ...isnt it possible ?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aspirin
An example would be that I don't believe CBCS authenticates the Dynamic Forces Marvel Milestone reprints signed by Jack Kirby because there is doubt that he actually signed them.

Do you have documentation of that claim?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
An example would be that I don't believe CBCS authenticates the Dynamic Forces Marvel Milestone reprints signed by Jack Kirby because there is doubt that he actually signed them.

Do you have documentation of that claim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6idJsiPlRs
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Captain_Aspirin

Those guys were painful to watch. They did get their point across though, good stuff
Post 20 IP   flag post
Oh, they'll tell you all about CBCS. Except what CBCS means.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Captain_Aspirin

Those guys were painful to watch. They did get their point across though, good stuff

I only got as far as "painful to watch..." and then I couldn't watch anymore. I think it was about 12 seconds.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Captain_Aspirin wow that video was probably twice as long as it needed to be given the information they actually provide

And if this video is anything to go by, I wouldn't trust them to decipher any acronyms
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
@Captain_Aspirin

I only got as far as "painful to watch..." and then I couldn't watch anymore. I think it was about 12 seconds.

Haha I *almost shut it off as well, but pushed through the first few torturous minutes
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6idJsiPlRs

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Dynamic Forces takes 7 to 12 months to ship products but these guys think they're going to be able to contact them?!
Post 26 IP   flag post
@jimmylinguini Video is 2 years old, they're probably still waiting.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Well, the video seems like a lot of nothing at least as far as this conversation goes.

They did not confirm for instance that CBCS will not verify the Kirby signature on ALL OF THE Dynamic Forces X-Men 1 reprints. They only confirm that THEIR copy didn't pass the signature verification.

It's possible for instance that someone could forge Kirby's signature and the Dynamic Forces COA. It's possible that Kirby's wife or someone else signed some or all of Dynamic Forces copies.

So the only thing this video tells us is their Dynamic Forces copy of signed by Kirby X-Men 1 reprint failed CBCS's signature verification.

Sorry for your bad luck. yawn...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
I emailed CBCS because I am interested to see if my copies are fake. I will update if they respond.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I've been trying to look for another source where I've read about his wife possibly signing them because I know I've seen it elsewhere, but I haven't had luck finding anything now. I hope you get good news from CBCS, I have one I'd be happy to submit for a red label.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601289 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?