Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS PressingGrading Help NeededPop Culture

Is it still worth it18717

I award you no points… stanley_1883 private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the TaT and the new pricing, I’m struggling to justify grading my books. I mean I want to, but I certainly don’t like the waiting for at least a year part nor paying out the nose to speed that up and get it back in a relatively timely manner. Ever worse if you want it presses.

What are your thoughts? Will it get better? Can it get worse?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If it's no longer your thing, don't do it. Everything has ups and downs. Things get better and things can always get worse.

I don't see TATs getting any longer. People were submitting anything and everything. They aren't doing that now as sales are cooling down.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm staying away from grading. CBCS doesn't have any services that appeal to me at the moment. Most of my books that may be worth grading have a FMV of $400 or less and are 1975 or newer. For me CGC is the more realistic option since they have a turnaround of 20 business days, as opposed to CBCS which is around 240, for books in this tier.

I'm also not very high on either company at the moment, so I would only send anything in if I intended to sell it. I don't think it can get much worse, the comic slabbing business should be slowing down considerably. It's actually quite remarkable that CGC has been able to role out video game and card grading, while CBCS can't even handle non-magazine comic grading. Or maybe it isn't and CBCS is just highly unremarkable at their craft.
Post 3 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I feel slightly like I need grading companies. Not like shelter or water obviously but I use a grade to gather data if you will. I spend a lot of time playing with books and I really want to know if my opinion on what I’m looking at matches the “professional”.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@stanley_1883 - If you look at my actual TAT's and see the TAT's of other posters in the TAT thread, it really appears (to me) that the stated estimated non-Express TATs are either errantly calculated or purposfully inflated.

As to whether the cost is worth it, for me yes, but that is an eye of the beholder issue.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Feel free to use my post as a checklist. multi007 private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson the new Ricketts sketch cover I got on kickstarter has a 73 week tat. (Includes pressing)
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
it really appears (to me) that the stated estimated non-Express TATs are either errantly calculated or purposfully inflated.

I get it, and I have seen it, thanks. However that just poses more questions for me, why are they inflated, is it intentional, why can’t they calculate it correctly etc.
Post 7 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator, I’d have to politely disagree on the TAT comment about inflation.

TAT is the last of my worries, but the struggle is real.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I hate the TAT's. Two years ago, TAT's were 3-5 months or sooner and prices were reasonable. I don't collect anything after 1982, so that makes it hard NOT to want to get them graded and slabbed. My Incredible HULK 102 came back as a 9.6, 103, 104 and 105 also came back as 9.6's, Captain America 101 came back at 9.0 and 102, 103, 104 and 105 all came back as 9.4's. These are just a few in my collection. I can't keep them bagged and boarded forever. At some point I have to bite the bullet and accept one year TAT's and higher prices. I miss their old prices and shorter TAT's.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
I was flamed for saying this before, so I guess I am a masochist...

For ME, the winning formula has been: hand deliver books to CBCS at a show, pay extra for the fast track, get books back in about a month.

To ME, the premium is worth more than 11+ months of waiting (if I only have 25 more years left on this planet, why spend 4% of it waiting to get books back?)

P.S. - I also get books pressed BEFORE they go to CBCS as that can tack on A LOT more time
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@ERB_in_CLT if it works for you that's great. I don't remember what you were flamed for, but maybe it was for suggesting people don't have a legitimate gripe for the turnaround being so long and they should just pay more for faster service, without considering that the advertised turnaround times were less than 16 weeks for many submitters that ended up getting their books back 8+ months later for grading only submissions.

Also, CBCS rolled out the express tier during the time when many customers were already 8+ months into a submission and 3+ months behind the stated turnaround, only to get their orders pushed back even further.

There are tiers where using CBCS makes more sense than CGC based on turnaround and price, but I think we were all hoping CBCS, especially after moving into a new facility, would improve where they've been lacking for years. I also expected that the increase in prices and staff would lead to reduced tunaround times instead of posted times that haven't changed in six months and no communication from CBCS other than some minor statements to address all the comics they lost.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders - Preach!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@ERB_in_CLT if it works for you that's great. I don't remember what you were flamed for, but maybe it was for suggesting people don't have a legitimate gripe for the turnaround being so long and they should just pay more for faster service, without considering that the advertised turnaround times were less than 16 weeks for many submitters that ended up getting their books back 8+ months later for grading only submissions.

Also, CBCS rolled out the express tier during the time when many customers were already 8+ months into a submission and 3+ months behind the stated turnaround, only to get their orders pushed back even further.

There are tiers where using CBCS makes more sense than CGC based on turnaround and price, but I think we were all hoping CBCS, especially after moving into a new facility, would improve where they've been lacking for years. I also expected that the increase in prices and staff would lead to reduced tunaround times instead of posted times that haven't changed in six months and no communication from CBCS other than some minor statements to address all the comics they lost.

This "Express" tier is killing it for the rest of us. I know you pay more to be put at the front of the line, but is it really fair to those of us that have been waiting eight, nine, ten months or more? And at what point will us "Non-express" submissions get pushed back even longer than a year plus.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
Is it fair? No.

Is it capitalism? Yes.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
After raising fees CGC made efforts to reduce their turnaround times.

CBCS also also raised prices yet TATs are still about one year.

Not sure how the move to a new location factors in but if prices snd TATs for both companies stay where they are now I could see CBCS losing market share.
Post 15 IP   flag post
It’s the jumping to the front of the line that irks me, especially for those who submitted before the new tiers and all that. I mean people submitting several hundred books at once doesn’t help either (not a shot nor am I calling anyone out, just stating facts) but this is the Devil we know. Will CBCS “fix” anything? Only if that comes with another price hike. Customer be damned.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
After raising fees CGC made efforts to reduce their turnaround times.

CBCS also also raised prices yet TATs are still about one year.

Not sure how the move to a new location factors in but if prices snd TATs for both companies stay where they are now I could see CBCS losing market share.

I've been seeing this as well. Aside from CGC's regular Economy which is at 12 months (and basically forces you to fast track) - all their other tiers are insanely fast right now. Heck...my last few single book Economy subs were fast tracked with them and came back within a 1-2 weeks.

I also randomly check CBCS's TAT chart and it never changes. I appreciate CGC at least updates their TAT page almost daily.
Post 17 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
“Is it worth it?” Is a question only you can answer. For me, the higher grading costs and softening market means fewer books are worth it. That said, the lacking customer service and long turnaround times are my biggest hurdle nowadays.
Post 18 IP   flag post
601450 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?