Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS PressingComics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Is it safe yet?18586

Collector Therealrudolfo private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, I’ve graded books through intermediaries with CBCS and some other companies, and to be honest, all of them have taken some serious time to get through the books. The CBCS slab, however, is stunning - absolutely love it, and would like to drop books for my long term personal collection in them.

I’ve heard some horror stories for both main graders recently, is it getting close to being safe to send my very loved, raw, silver age books yet?

I’d be looking at pressing and grading with CBCS, and also have a couple of sig verifications to do.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Where's his Bat-package? Byrdibyrd private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealrudolfo
Hey guys, I’ve graded books through intermediaries with CBCS and some other companies, and to be honest, all of them have taken some serious time to get through the books. The CBCS slab, however, is stunning - absolutely love it, and would like to drop books for my long term personal collection in them.

I’ve heard some horror stories for both main graders recently, is it getting close to being safe to send my very loved, raw, silver age books yet?

I’d be looking at pressing and grading with CBCS, and also have a couple of sig verifications to do.

None of the graders have a perfect track record, but I've had my best luck with CBCS, and it's not really a contest. The product is better (best slab), grading is more consistent than The Other Guy, and I don't have books coming back damaged or - worse - not coming back due to having been lost (CGC just did that to me last month... ). My biggest cautions would be the TATs that I'm sure you've heard about extensively, and the difficulty in contacting customer service. As long as you go in knowing those two things beforehand, I think you'll have a good experience working with CBCS. They've done nice work on some of my S.A. books.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
use a third-party presser, and use express grading when you send it in.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SixgunSamurai private msg quote post Address this user
You said you have sigs to verify. The other guys can only verify if they witness.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Travelhound private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS slabs are awesome. However, their customer service is non-existent and their recent reputation with misplaced books is horrible. Besides the 350+ books that they have "misplaced" from a single facilitator, They have also lost four key books of mine. These books were submitted in person over eight months ago and still do not appear on my dashboard. After some initial contact, CBCS simply ghosted me on this matter, so I would advise caution.....At least with CGC, if you do need to speak with customer service, you will speak with someone on site in Florida and not in New Delhi.

If you do decide to go ahead, I would suggest submitting your books with a facilitator or at a Comicon. I would also keep copies of all receipts and take pictures of the CBCS/CGC rep holding my books up at the submission table.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Thelastpearce private msg quote post Address this user
I made two submissions in September of 2021, one came back already but still took 11 months to process. I just received word that my other submission, has moved to grading but that submission did have a pressing in it, so that puts the TAT so far at 13 months. I can say that I am pleased with the ones I received back, but not so much with TAT in general, and I will wait until they are more under control until I submit more books.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Both companies have significant... and I do mean significant issues.
Damages and accurate grading is NOT one of CBCS issues whatsoever.

So yes it is safe.
Post 7 IP   flag post
would be nice to have a snugger fit. Sigur_Ros private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhound
their customer service is non-existent

100%. The absolute worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhound
their recent reputation with misplaced books is horrible.

Reputation is horrible?
One story went public.
Both companies have issues, but incidents of lost books (that we know of anyway) is much higher at CGC. I know someone whose 14 books got lost and CGC stopped replying after admitting it. But more so, there are numerous posts about lost books on forums, including their own.
Would hardly say CBCS has a bad reputation for misplaced books.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Send your high end stuff. If you pay the premium and don't want pressing your turn around time is like a week! I Love it. Its expensive but worth it. To me at least
Post 9 IP   flag post
600440 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?